Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 03:58 AM   #1

Bearing question

I understand our units come with Chinese bearings, but how many of you have had any problem with them? Most trailers , campers , boats etc come with this type of bearings. If you do regular maintenance on them have you really had any issues?

Just asking this because it is time for me to service my bearings and I have never seen any problems with wear on my bearings.
formulabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 AM   #2

Packed originals for the 3rd time in March & still look good, am getting disc brakes this fall so they'll be replaced then.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulabill View Post
I understand our units come with Chinese bearings, but how many of you have had any problem with them? Most trailers , campers , boats etc come with this type of bearings. If you do regular maintenance on them have you really had any issues?

Just asking this because it is time for me to service my bearings and I have never seen any problems with wear on my bearings.
I serviced the bearings on my trailer last summer. Two round trips to FL and the outer banks plus some other miles. Not more than 6k total. I found nothing wrong with the bearings. I repacked and reused all of them.

Mark
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

I would agree with the others, I have made several trips to Texas, New York and South Florida, repacked my bearings twice, no problems
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Team

I switched mine to Timkens but only because we were doing discs and the IS Suspension and just upgraded bearings along with it. At that point who's a few more $$$. Lol
Old 06-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I switched mine to Timkens but only because we were doing discs and the IS Suspension and just upgraded bearings along with it. At that point who's a few more $$$. Lol
That was my thinking also . . Once I did the upgrades , what's another few bucks ?? Not to mention , I got them from my vendor at the office , let's just say that a favor was called in..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #7

More problems with the electric drum brakes heating up, making the seal rubber brittle, eventually cracking and leaving little grease in the bearing cavity resulting in bearing failure. One of the many benefits of disc brakes, they don't heat up like drum brakes.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 AM   #8
Dan

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulabill View Post

After 1200 miles on our new RW all bearings were pitted and scorn and were replaced with chinese bearings from RW. These lasted 2200 miles and took out an axle, wheel and rim!!! RW wouldn't do anything and sent the problem to lippert, lippert would only refund the price of the bearings!!!

If I was you I would replace the bearings with "good" ones unless you plan on only weekend use

Sorry

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:03 AM   #9

I wasn't going to take a chance with the cheap bearings. I was a believer in if is wasn't broke don't fix it but the last thing I want is a break down when on a nice vacation. The grease seals were my main worry so might as well do it all. Did it myself and I think all the bearings, races and seals were a little over $400 so considering what could happen in damage I switched them out when doing the suspension and shock kit.

Steve
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #10
Site Team

Redwood is a beautiful RV but I would recommend replacing the bearings and suspension if you can afford the cash outlay. This will save you sleepless nights later
Old 06-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #11

I agree Dave ,

Even if you add the cost of the upgrades to the purchase price , you are still under the Suites and other mfg cost..

Would it be nice to have them listed as options - YES.... BUT if your an informed buyer , and factor those self purchased upgrades all into the pricing , your ok . .
SO - they are still OPTIONS... just after the fact options
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

The Chinese set still looked good when I repacked them, but I only have about 3500 miles on RL.
Now, just received all Timken bearings, races & seals for my disc brakes. I was surprised how difficult they were to find. Ended up getting them all from Amazon. Had to wait for some of them so I got a spare set just in case.
For around $400, these are cheap insurance against a vacation disaster!
Always surprised to discover how they cut corners on high stress components like tires, springs, bushings & wheelbearings.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #13

RWs are sold as Full Timers Units, but that must be to just park them in one place and live in them.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
RWs are sold as Full Timers Units, but that must be to just park them in one place and live in them.

It would be interesting to know how many Redwood owners travel and how many are basically just parked at permanent location. We haven't traveled as much as some of you folks, but, we still have put over 22,000 miles on our RW in 4 1/2 years.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Ours is parked in a permanent spot. Except for a 6000 mile vacation last summer. We will take it on another 6000 mile journey to the rally this year
Old 06-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #16

I just lost my axle, backing plate assembly and hub assembly in the middle of Wyoming yesterday. Had to have the unit flat bed hauled 150 miles last night and the repair shop is searching for parts as we speak. I had the bearings greased about 11 months ago and have about 16,000 miles on the coach.

I'm frustrated that Redwood and Lippert agreed to sell residential units with such a cheap setup for their suspension and wheels. I'm having them replace all the original bearings.

BTW my entire wheel was moments away from falling off the axle. That is scary.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Sorry to hear that hope you get the parest soon. Luckily the tire didn't come off
Old 06-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #18

We have approximately 40k on our RW, knock on wood, with the original bearings & upgraded to MorRyde heavy shackles & wet bolts 12/14, so far no issues. I hand pack mine annually myself, that way if there's a problem I know what/who/how it was done & I inspect everything & adjust the brakes at the same time.
Sorry to hear if your problems, nothing worse than breaking down along the highway in the middle of nowhere, hope it all works out & you're back on your way.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #19

Timken model #s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
The Chinese set still looked good when I repacked them, but I only have about 3500 miles on RL.
Now, just received all Timken bearings, races & seals for my disc brakes. I was surprised how difficult they were to find. Ended up getting them all from Amazon. Had to wait for some of them so I got a spare set just in case.
For around $400, these are cheap insurance against a vacation disaster!
Always surprised to discover how they cut corners on high stress components like tires, springs, bushings & wheelbearings.
Could you share your ordering info from Amazon?
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
More problems with the electric drum brakes heating up, making the seal rubber brittle, eventually cracking and leaving little grease in the bearing cavity resulting in bearing failure. One of the many benefits of disc brakes, they don't heat up like drum brakes.
Reduced heating is a good point and one of the many benefits I have with my Titan disc brakes.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote