Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
lwg

Be sure to inspect your trailer wiring cable for cuts

I was inspecting the 7' wiring harness from the trailer to truck and noticed some cuts that showed exposed wiring. I thought I'd pass along that everybody should take a good look at that on occasion to make sure you don't short out and lose anything.

I suspect mine was cut due to the rather sharp metal box they use for the wiring. I'm thinking about replacing that with a plastic box that has no sharp edges to solve this issue. I'm also replacing the trailer cord as well to ensure I don't lose anything.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #2

Good idea. Thanks for the heads up.
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

I switched out my 7 way bargman cord this last summer. Was having intermittent light issues. Be careful how tight the romex clamp is gripping the cord also. Too loose and more than you want might try to slip out, Too tight and wire breakages can occur by not flexing enough. If you change it out please take pictures to document what goes together, and what color to what color, etc.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
I switched out my 7 way bargman cord this last summer. Was having intermittent light issues. Be careful how tight the romex clamp is gripping the cord also. Too loose and more than you want might try to slip out, Too tight and wire breakages can occur by not flexing enough. If you change it out please take pictures to document what goes together, and what color to what color, etc.

Chris
I will document the colors as I expect it won't be like to like based on what I've read on the Internet so far. Will likely change it out later this week.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Do you have a diagram? Just pulled the cord out of the box
Yhanksand want to make sure I reconnect properly
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #6

RickC

Check your messages, I pm'd you

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

One thing that happened to ours with the triglide and autoslider hitch was that on VERY tight turns that box would HIT the side of the truck bed...

damaged both the truck bad and the box was twisted off...

very poor design, that box should be INSIDE the hitch like ti was on my previous 5'er, both for protection AND looks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burleson-Joshua-20140323-00195.jpg (210.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Burleson-Joshua-20140323-00196.jpg (274.4 KB, 6 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I took my box off and remounted it up inside the pin box. I never hit mine but was to close for my liking to the tailgate
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #9

sewer smell

We arrived at a new rv park and began having sewer smell from our sink and bathroom drains. Any ideas about this.
hoggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Under the bathroom and kitchen sink is a vacuum valve that is screwed onto a wye in the drain pipe. The originals that come with the trailers are known to go bad. You can purchase new ones at Lowe's, Home Depot. They work as A vent when draining and then close to keep sewer gas out.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #11

I had a similar problem and thought is was the vent under the vanity that Shane mentioned. I changed that and was a little better but then found that most of the smell was from the washing machine drain. No leaks in the trap so I am thinking that when the washer is draining it allows the sewer smell back in. I plugged the top pipe around the hose with insulation and problem solved.

Steve
Old 02-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I was inspecting the 7' wiring harness from the trailer to truck and noticed some cuts that showed exposed wiring. I thought I'd pass along that everybody should take a good look at that on occasion to make sure you don't short out and lose anything.

I suspect mine was cut due to the rather sharp metal box they use for the wiring. I'm thinking about replacing that with a plastic box that has no sharp edges to solve this issue. I'm also replacing the trailer cord as well to ensure I don't lose anything.
While running brake system tests for GM I also discovered nicked wiring, missing wire nuts and more in the J-box mounted on the hitch. That box is on my to-do list to replace with a different box that provides more clearance to the truck's side rails. At that time I will also replace wire nuts with a pressure type terminal strip. My to-do list is growing! So much to do - so little time.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote