Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Back up camera mounting

It's been awhile since I posted anything but just doing a little thinking outside the box. This question is for anyone that's thinking of or already installed a backup camera.
Does it matter where you put the camera? I was thinking of mounting it on the hitch on the back of the trailer. Going to use the same unit as "Atom Ant" and run the wires down the frame to the pin box.
The main reason I need the camera is to back up the driveway and get into the barn which requires some hard turns. Cutting the fiberglass and routing the wires down the frame with my shaky skills looks like a disaster in the making. Just wondering if anyone thought about doing something like this. Thanks.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe a few people have already done this. Brad "Atom Ant" for one as well as others. Look at some of his posts and you might get some answers. Also PM Brad and I'm sure he'll help walk you through this project.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

I originally thought about the frame, and even the hitch. My problem is I wanted to watch over my Jeep in the back and it really can only be done from the top. The frame should give near the same advantage as what it would be on your tailgate.

What you could do is leave enough wire coiled in the belly to move it later if you have to, and try it from the frame. I did a lot of experimenting with mine in different locations using tape and a security alarm 12v battery before I finally decided I need to go up top to get the field of view I needed.

The downfall to mine, is there isn't enough field of view to see the hitch and Jeep, AND the road behind me. It's one or the other so I have to climb the ladder and adjust based on what I'm towing. I notice some MH now have the cockpit adjustable camera angle to overcome the same thing.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Brad
Have you towed the jeep yet. If so how did it go
Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

Just around the block and down the highway a ways. It did good for that little test. I still need to install the SMI brake system before I try anymore (damages tow bar eventually without brakes on the Jeep).

We got diverted a little bit considering a Class A, so not sure where that will land yet, but still need the brake installed either way.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
We have also been looking at diesel pushers. I can not see getting one right now as it will see very few miles. I think when I finally retire and head out travelling we will get one then. They are a lot of money to be sitting. Where we are now the trailer is much better for the room and storage.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:58 AM   #7

ya I'm a little torn. I keep seeing the 10 year old turds on the lot and realize that's where I could be in 10 years and may still owe money on it, so just not sure if it's worth it. It's almost like once you start, you can't stop trading up.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Well......

Buy what makes you happy. But be very careful because there's a lot of class A's that aren't built very well yet they're much more costly. I made the move and don't regret it but it's not for everyone.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #9

How would you begin looking at diesel pushers? There's so many it's overwhelming.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:56 AM   #10

Jim and Mary, I am the last of the trailer trash in my group of friends who have all moved up to the $1500 a month club. 8 couples in all. LOL! aint saying i won't ever move up myself. But If you going to listen to all of those you trust who have already done it. Dave and Ginny I am sure can steer you in the right direction. i have learned so much about them by just watching my friends and how much they spend and which brands seem to be the most trouble free. As for now? I will keep fighting with the RW. ;-) Y'all have a great looking combo by the way.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
How would you begin looking at diesel pushers? There's so many it's overwhelming.

As I've said on this forum many times......service is everything. In my opinion there's only 3 companies to look at.

Entegra (best value and wonderful people)
Newmar (great company but I had to get a Dutch Star for my desired features)
Fortravel (wonderful but $750K for their less costly unit)

Entrgra fit my needs and desires, you have to see what fits yours. All three of these companies are good and I've heard good things about American Coach but I haven't researched them completely yet.

Quality....Quality ....I love quality and hate short cuts. Nothing is held back due to weight! I had to remove my bathroom door, solid wood and every bit of 80 pounds, wow! After 8 months of ownership I'm still amazed at the quality. As much as I loved my Redwood, after a few months I found things that I scratched my head over. That hasn't been the case so far.

As for the payments......when I added the payment of the redwood and the payment of the truck there wasn't much difference in the MH with a 15 year note.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #12

It looks like there will be the 3 Entegra models at the Denver Show in January. We are going to try to make the trip up to see them. Not having seen them in person, but doing much research online, they seem to be ideal. I know Dave likes his and on their forum, seems to be quite a bit of positive.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
Site Team

There are a lot of different RVs out there. Research and find the one that fits your needs. In my book, I believe a 5th wheels are great units and for some the best. It all depends on how you use your RV.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

We've looked at
  • Newmar Dutchstar
  • Winnebago Tour/Itasca Ellipse
  • American Coach Revolution
  • Entegra Aspire and Anthem
  • Tiffen Allegro Bus
We have avoided
  • Thor
  • Damon
You can go dizzy looking at these things, and no matter how many you look at each one has 1 or 2 things they shortcut on that causes you to hold back. It's all a tradeoff I guess.

Wife loves to cook, and some of these really shortcut you on the kitchen, or have you standing on carpet or a slide edge to cook (Revolution).

Some push you into the next level coach to get the basic features you might consider necessary (Entegra diesel aquahot - Newmar dishwasher)

So far the Winnebago seems to meet all our needs, but I don't necessarily like the rear radiator.

At this point we are only looking at 2-3 years old - registering a new $ 1/4 M coach in CO can mean $18K in ownership tax in addition to the $10-15K sales tax, and just the fact depreciation is huge in the first years - nearly 1/3. That depreciation number is more than our entire Redwood costs.

I can't really justify it based on payment, as trucks are short term so its not really apples to apples. However, I just don't use my truck for anything except towing, so it might as well be permanently attached to an RV. I hate driving that thing any other time.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Site Team

Brad,

it sounds like you're going through the same check list that we worked off of. The American Coach, I didn't do much research on but I've talked with a lot of people with positive opinions.

I love my Entegra but I would advise to stay away from the the 2012-2013 years of them. They went through a time of adjustment then and they had some reoccurring problems.

Right now Tiffin is trying to redeem itself so I'd be a little fuzzy with them. The Winnies.........in my opinion don't seem to wear well. I'd buy a new one but not too thrilled about used. As for the Dutch Star.....I don't think you can go wrong with them. I don't like the Newmar Ventenna but the Dutch Star is a great unit.

You're right about the truck. I loved my "Beast" but it was set up for towing so when I drove the truck without towing, there were sacrifices.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #16

We have found some pretty pristine Winnies out there - about 4 on the hook we are looking at. I'm hesitant with a new one as they went to Schwintek slides this year. I prefer the older hydraulic.

New for Newmar - cool idea. This is the pull out buffet - it has a third configuration option. This would work in a Redwood with the right floorplan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08033.jpg (283.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #17

Brad
Where does it pull out from
Old 12-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #18

It just pulls out of the buffet on the left like a Redwood table, and there is a leaf to extend it, but it also comes all the way out and can be placed anywhere, and to end cap goes onto the other side to make it a full table.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:07 AM   #19

Before I purchased the Redwood, I was only looking at Motorhomes. The cost is significantly more. Insurance, tax and maintenance for Diesel pushers. If you get one without a Tag Axel, you can run into weight issues. What really bothered me was the resale price on 7 years and older Newmars. What they lose in value in a year covers the cost of the Redwood.

If money was not an issues, I would have a Newmar Mountain Aire pulling Grand Cherokee Summit. But not wanting to lose 300k in ten years, I traded the Grand Cherokee Summit for a Dually and bought the Redwood. Even in 10 years if I lose all my investment, I still will better off financially.

The depreciation of Motor Homes, cost of insurance and taxes is what finally convinced me to go with a fifth wheel. At my age, I simply don't want to lose that kind of money. I rather use it for Disney trips and I may break down and buy another Grand Cherokee for my daily car. The Dually is a pain. But my math tells me, I'm still ahead.

If my ship comes in, I will get a motor home, but I might skip the mountain aire and get a prevost. It's only a couple million and only lose 500k the first year.

One more thought, 100K pretty much pays for 10 years of staying campgrounds every night.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:42 AM   #20

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying I'm finding Scott.

It seems the market gets real narrow for the MH over $200K and most sit on the lots with little hope to move very fast. I'm still looking at some that I was looking at 3 months ago.

I find I won't look at anything older than 2011, because they have RV fridges (which I don't mind but bad resale), or 2005 have the tube TVs and so on. These things get outdated fast and then they sit, so I would expect whatever I buy to have a short market life before it becomes a dinosaur. I would just have to grow old with it so I didn't notice the difference

Dory is having a hard time getting any of the math to work in a path other than a total loss!

But dang do they have some nice features and tons of interior room!