Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 AM   #21
Site Team

Like I tell my kids........if cars were about transportation we'd all be driving cheap cars.

There's no financial sense to an RV......if we were into the wilderness we'd all have tents. A MH is all about the journey and freedom. Diesel pushers are expensive to buy and maintain but most are well built and very comfortable. It is excessive.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 AM   #22

Brad, I think Dory is right about the total loss, once you hit the 10 year mark. The problem is, most of us on this board are probably past our best earning years so that is a big hit.

It sounds like you have a itch you can't scratch. My suggestion, look up what it will cost to insure a motorhome for three years and then spend it on the Redwood. You probably can replace your furniture with furniture from Ethan Allen or maybe some 4k TV's. I think in the long run, it will be easier to keep the Redwood relevant then then a motorhome.

I believe that you and I have the same problem with our current setup, and that is the Dually. I believe I read that you are going to try towing a car. The approach I am going to take is getting the IS 8K suspension and then adding a motorcycle lift.

But in the end, you could throw some significant money at the Redwood and still come out ahead financially.

Also, I don't enjoy vehicle mechanics. But the Redwood, I feel comfortable working on any system in it. The truck can go to the mechanic but I will work on Redwood.

Maybe the real answer is, getting a fancy Airstream and pulling it with a Grand Cherokee. For me, going to a smaller RV for a smaller truck is not an option, as I don't like trucks in general.

"But dang do they have some nice features and tons of interior room! " You are correct on this point except for the room. The slideouts on motorhomes can't go out as far as you still need a path to walk though. Square footage wise, 5th wheels beat motorhomes, except for the basements on diesel pushers.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Like I tell my kids........if cars were about transportation we'd all be driving cheap cars.

There's no financial sense to an RV......if we were into the wilderness we'd all have tents. A MH is all about the journey and freedom. Diesel pushers are expensive to buy and maintain but most are well built and very comfortable. It is excessive.
Dave, you are 100% correct. And every time I get in my Dually, I think, "I really miss my Jeep with the Hemi, this truck sucks." Even if the truck was not a Dually, I would miss my jeep. So I will never say that I will not, at some point, hell with it and buy the Newmar Mountain Aire and a matching Grand Cherokee.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:40 AM   #24

Maybe its the island that makes these 5ers look cramped, or maybe its that they don't have the full wall slide, but I see a ton of room in these MHs. Just look at all that room in front of the bed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151114_140340.jpg (172.4 KB, 11 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:18 AM   #25

That's beautiful and clean looking. Taking on the role of the "Debbie Downer".
1. There is no Pantry
2. If you took the sink cover off, your kitchen work space is measured in inches.
3. The appliances are the same as in the Redwood.
4. If that is the main tv then that is a horrible place for it.

I had a discussion with a friend about MotorHome vs. Fifth Wheel. One thing that came up is the living room, In the fifth wheel, it feels like a living room. In the motorhome, it feels like your in a bus because you can't help but see the drivers seat, windshield, etc. On the Fifth Wheel, the drivers area becomes a useful wall.

Take this all with a grain of salt as I am also trying to justify my decision.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #26

No I hear you exactly - keep in mind though I threw that picture up from inventory. That Revolution was ruled out for a lot of the same reasons you discuss - kitchen was an after thought, not a friendly TV watching area except for the queen recliner. I hate watching TV from a couch, and wife hates standing on carpet and a slide edge when cooking. Not a great design overall, but there are better, more homey floor plans:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2604 (Large).JPG (100.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07973.jpg (196.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07970.jpg (137.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #27
Site Team

If you plan on traveling with family or pets, they're very comfortable. One of the issues we had wasn't only traveling with grand kids but also aged parents. Getting an 80 year old comfortable in a dually isn't easy. We also ran into problems parking the dually in quaint little shopping districts of Maine or Boulder, CO.

Unfortunately there isn't a perfect RV for all occasions and you lose money in all RVs. But in 2012 I had to have a conversation about cancer with a doctor that changed the way I had been thinking. We lived in a modest house (much less than we could afford), saved money, built a business and raised 3 great sons. We did everything right and were looking forward to a healthy financially secure retirement. It was soon discovered that I wasn't as much in control as I thought and all my proper living didn't help.

Sometimes investment isn't as much about money as it is about investing in life and freedom. In this sense, dollars and cents just don't add up. Experience it, enjoy it and love those that you hold dear.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #28

It sure rearranges your bucket list Dave. Neither of us have a bright future, and Dory's through no fault of her own.

Part of her disease (and her daughters) is hypersomnia and I was really looking for something a little more comfortable on the road than a bucket seat for them.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
It sure rearranges your bucket list Dave. Neither of us have a bright future, and Dory's through no fault of her own.

Part of her disease (and her daughters) is hypersomnia and I was really looking for something a little more comfortable on the road than a bucket seat for them.

I'm sorry to hear that brad. That's a tough disease because many don't understand it.

I hope you folks have a wonderful Christmas
Old 12-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #30

Thanks Dave.

The hypersomnia is actually just a side feature of her muscle disease - Myotonic Dystrophy. She doesn't have it to the depth of her daughter, but it's progressive so we have to plan for a time when we actually just won't be able to do this anymore.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #31

Now that I feel like a real Grinch, let me say that all of you will be in my prayers and thoughts.

The second coach looks perfect.

We all have to make financial decisions based on so many things. Most people would shake their heads in disbelief how much I spend and how often I go to Disney.

For fun I did look up if I could tow an Airstream with a grand Cherokee and the answer is no. Next, Ill see if I can beef up the Jeep engine, then mount the fifth wheel hitch on the roof. That would be sweet.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #32

No you're not a grinch at all, you make good sense.

The second coach was actually a Tiffen Allegro Bus (a little ornate) and the third and fourth were were a Winnebago Tour. All three coaches were a bath and a half, which is one of the top 5 reasons we were looking. I spend a lot of time pulled over on the side of the road to get access to the bathroom, and sometimes she doesn't give me a lot of notice. It's a real pain when you are in the big city and no chance of pulling over.

RV show Jan 6 here - so no decisions till then.............
Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
Now that I feel like a real Grinch, let me say that all of you will be in my prayers and thoughts.

The second coach looks perfect.

We all have to make financial decisions based on so many things. Most people would shake their heads in disbelief how much I spend and how often I go to Disney.

For fun I did look up if I could tow an Airstream with a grand Cherokee and the answer is no. Next, Ill see if I can beef up the Jeep engine, then mount the fifth wheel hitch on the roof. That would be sweet.
It's all good! Everybody has their own ideas or points of view. That's what makes this forum great....the people.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #34

Brad

Let me tell you that you better stay away from RV shows Sometime the temptation is too great. Sorry to hear about the health issues, what a bum thing.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #35

Thanks Jim! It's one of those things you learn you were born with, along with your siblings, so it kind of makes it a little better than finding out something unexpected.

RV shows are my HEAVEN! Couldn't keep me away!.............. Dory just puts all the vehicle titles in the safety deposit box, suspends all the accounts and credit lines before we get to the front door, then she takes off my leash and gives me a swat in the but and says "GO!"
Old 12-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Thanks Dave.

The hypersomnia is actually just a side feature of her muscle disease - Myotonic Dystrophy. She doesn't have it to the depth of her daughter, but it's progressive so we have to plan for a time when we actually just won't be able to do this anymore.
Brad
My step mother has a similar disease and they just had 2016 winnebago built they Added a chair lift to get into the motorhome and wheel chair compatible interior. Passenger seat with a lift recliner with lift.
This may be something to look at to extend your camping and traveling years.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 PM   #37

Last two RV's were MH's Newmar Dutch Star and Tiffin Allegro Bus. I learned a lot about MH's over time and we went back to a 5th wheel last year. We do miss the ability to stop and use the restroom at anytime. But what we found is that the MH was great if you were moving from place to place a lot but it you are like us and stay put in one place for longer periods the 5th wheel was more practical. Luckily we did not lose our shorts on ether one of the MH's but we were one of the lucky ones. Of the current DP MH's there are only three I would consider Entegra, Tiffin and Newmar. I would get a tag axel model they drive better on open road less movement in the wind.

I have a good Friend in PA that has a 2012 allegro bus with about 17k miles that is up for sale. They take to FLA every winter and snowbird but are looking to build a house in FL and stop RVing If interested I can put you in contact I think he wanted 250K but it is a beauty and taken care of.

Good Luck on your search.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Brad
My step mother has a similar disease and they just had 2016 winnebago built they Added a chair lift to get into the motorhome and wheel chair compatible interior. Passenger seat with a lift recliner with lift.
This may be something to look at to extend your camping and traveling years.
Thanks Shane - When that day comes we will probably have one built as well. I see Dutch Star actually has wheelchair friendly factory models that are ready to roll. I'm hoping we are still 20 years away from that, but I may be dreaming too.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Last two RV's were MH's Newmar Dutch Star and Tiffin Allegro Bus. I learned a lot about MH's over time and we went back to a 5th wheel last year. We do miss the ability to stop and use the restroom at anytime. But what we found is that the MH was great if you were moving from place to place a lot but it you are like us and stay put in one place for longer periods the 5th wheel was more practical. Luckily we did not lose our shorts on ether one of the MH's but we were one of the lucky ones. Of the current DP MH's there are only three I would consider Entegra, Tiffin and Newmar. I would get a tag axel model they drive better on open road less movement in the wind.

I have a good Friend in PA that has a 2012 allegro bus with about 17k miles that is up for sale. They take to FLA every winter and snowbird but are looking to build a house in FL and stop RVing If interested I can put you in contact I think he wanted 250K but it is a beauty and taken care of.

Good Luck on your search.
If you know the model number, go ahead and PM me. At this point before I could do a private owner buy I would have to sell. Otherwise I'm reliant on trade and taking advantage of the tax break difference.

You ruled out Winnebago - Bad experience with them?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #40
Site Team

Brad,

Winnebago makes a pretty good unit but they never turned me on. Ginny's cousin had one for about a year but he went to a Tiffin.

A couple of years ago I walked into a new Winnebago Tour at a dealership in St-Louis. There was an area about 2 ft behind the passenger seat that "popped" when I walked on it. It sounded like I was walking across the lid of a oil drum. They said that they could fix this with a brace but it turned me off because I thought the ceramic tile flexing like that couldn't last long. They do have a roll bar which I like and they are well built. My own personal opinion is that they always seemed to be middle of the road and kind of lacked the zest.