Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
lwg

All,
I wanted to check on some things as I'm planning on picking my Redwood 38BR in just a few short weeks. The dealership I'm purchasing from doesn't install the B&W hitches and I think that's what I'm going with. So my question is in regard to hitch and installation pricing. If this actually violates the forum rules let me know as I understand their pricing rules to only be in regards to the actual RV.

I'm looking to have the B&W Turnover Ball, regular 5th Wheel Companion hitch, Firestone air bags and the Air Lift WirelessOne system installed on my 2013 short bed F-350. The total installation price including tax is $3104? This seems a bit steep as I can pickup all the components for about $900 less and can't imagine this taking 8 hours for installation. But I could be wrong. I have installed air bags before on an older F-250 and it did take a few hours.

Does this sound reasonable? I'll be having this done in Mesa, AZ BTW.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

I installed my own air bags with automatic leveling by Air-Lift, and it was a pain. Had to cut down the overload U-bolts and none of it was pleasant. I would pay to have it done' next time.

In the end, the SRW F350 couldn't do the job anyway - so all the efforts were a waste as I watched the Dealer park the truck in the back lot as a trade in, and we started all over again with hitch, airbags, etc. That time I paid to get it done.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Team

I bought my air lift system on line and hired a mechanic to install them due to time restraint. I bought the wireless system for around $550 and he charged me around $400 to install it. The hitch was installed in my first truck as part of the deal on the trailer. On my second truck, I was going to install it myself but the dealership said that they'd take the bed off the truck and install it for $500.

If I'm not mistaken the hitch will cost around $1700 and the "Air lift" is around $500. That means you're being charged around $900 for the labor and tax. It's not that bad of a deal unless you have some extra time on your hands and want to do it yourself.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
lwg

OK, that's the validation I was looking for. A month ago prior to selling our house and deciding to live in our RV full-time I would have done all this myself, but things have changed and now I have to pay folks. It hurts to pay someone else for labor that I'm more than capable of doing but don't have the space to do it but oh well. Hopefully I don't have to do this too much more going forward.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

My dealer automatically added the B&W companion hitch and installation in with the sale on all his Redwood sales. I checked a couple of other places and they do too.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I bought my air lift system on line and hired a mechanic to install them due to time restraint. I bought the wireless system for around $550 and he charged me around $400 to install it. The hitch was installed in my first truck as part of the deal on the trailer. On my second truck, I was going to install it myself but the dealership said that they'd take the bed off the truck and install it for $500.

If I'm not mistaken the hitch will cost around $1700 and the "Air lift" is around $500. That means you're being charged around $900 for the labor and tax. It's not that bad of a deal unless you have some extra time on your hands and want to do it yourself.

What size deep socket fits the U bolts on the companion hitch? I know the torque is 40 for the set bolt and 80 for the U-bolts.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

I'm fairly sure it's15/16", set bolt is 3/4".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post

Yup... I think Dave is right on the money here.
I think my hitch was a about $1,600 and that also included the goose neck ball. Took about 3 hours for the hitch plus a bit more for the wire jack inside the bed which was around $75.00. Just installed air bags on our truck last weekend and definitely have to get into some tough areas but ended up taking me about 4 hours without the compressor. The bags were $365 (no compressor) If you have the time it's not real hard but as you mentioned an area to do it... $900 sounds pretty good to just drop off and then pick-up with a warrenty.

Steve
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #9

As I set in this park & watch most all of the 5er owners wrestling, jerking, yanking, pull forward/back to get their hitches to release sure makes me happy I had the B&W installed, raise the coach, pull handle, drive out, done.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 AM   #10
Site Team

Danny - the Reese 25k that Ford sells is the same way. Very rarely does it take us more than 2 minutes to stop, Unhitching and pull away. Almost as quick on hooking up. Can't remember the last time I didn't hook on first try....
Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
As I set in this park & watch most all of the 5er owners wrestling, jerking, yanking, pull forward/back to get their hitches to release sure makes me happy I had the B&W installed, raise the coach, pull handle, drive out, done.
Boy that's me!

Sorry Vaughan, I hate that Reese. Just spent no less than 6 tries getting it to hook up last week. Broke my dang nylon pin lube thingy in the process (again) because it gets pushed up into the notch and when it hits the end it snaps it. Between the angle required for that Reese Elite and the angle on that tri-glide, it give me fits.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
..... Can't remember the last time I didn't hook on first try....
I'm sure it was when you did it without me. I dare say, it's my very expert, adept directions that make it so easy for you to hitch.

Now if only we can get backing up part down.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
What size deep socket fits the U bolts on the companion hitch? I know the torque is 40 for the set bolt and 80 for the U-bolts.
15/16th " deep socket
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote