Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Axle Lubrication

We recently purchased a 2012 36 RE. Our previous SOB had Never Lube Axles but the Redwood does not. We travel from Florida to West Yellowstone, MT in the spring, park for 5 months then return to Florida and park for 5 months. Tow miles average about 7,500-8,000 year. is there a recommended lubrication schedule? What do some of the rest of you do?
Tom
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barkley View Post
We recently purchased a 2012 36 RE. Our previous SOB had Never Lube Axles but the Redwood does not. We travel from Florida to West Yellowstone, MT in the spring, park for 5 months then return to Florida and park for 5 months. Tow miles average about 7,500-8,000 year. is there a recommended lubrication schedule? What do some of the rest of you do?
Tom

When I had mine, I would put just 2 or 3 pumps out of my grease gun on each zerk about every 4-5000 miles, with the wheels in the air. I would use the jacks to lift the wheels and the spin the wheels after greasing them. This way I could also check for extra play in the bearings. I would then repack the bearings each year.

There have been some on this forum who have had inner grease seals go bad partly due using too much grease so you have to be careful. I did end up replacing a few of the bearings over a 3 year period of time.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

We travel 3-4 times that far each year & hand pack bearings & inspect brakes annually. I was one of the many that fell victim to the cheap a## grease seals & had all 4 brakes contaminated in less miles than you travel yearly. I would HIGHLY recommend NEVER pump grease into their Easy Lube zerks unless you know for sure the cheap a## seals have been replaced with quality seals.
Just for piece of mind I would highly recommend taking yours apart & have a look, also check with Ron (Titan Guy) on this forum & inquire about a disc brake upgrade, if by chance you need to replace bearings or brake shoes it would be very little more to go with disc & be a 110% improvement in braking these heavy beast.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

I've always considered those decoration. I don't even use them on my boat trailer.

First - they bypass you inspecting the bearings themselves. Lippert uses the cheapest Chinese bearing they can find and many have failed within the first year.

Second - as said, it just promotes pushing grease past the back seal into the drum. The whole system is completely reliant on the back seal holding for them to distribute grease.

Third - bearings don't necessarily consume grease so if you keep adding, even a little at a time, it has nowhere to go but out.

Realistically, once you put quality Timken bearing sets in there, they should not require any more maintenance that the front bearings on your 70s car with rear wheel drive. Typically you repacked bearing when you did brakes. No reason to do it more than that.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #5
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I've always considered those decoration. I don't even use them on my boat trailer.

First - they bypass you inspecting the bearings themselves. Lippert uses the cheapest Chinese bearing they can find and many have failed within the first year.

Second - as said, it just promotes pushing grease past the back seal into the drum. The whole system is completely reliant on the back seal holding for them to distribute grease.

Third - bearings don't necessarily consume grease so if you keep adding, even a little at a time, it has nowhere to go but out.

Realistically, once you put quality Timken bearing sets in there, they should not require any more maintenance that the front bearings on your 70s car with rear wheel drive. Typically you repacked bearing when you did brakes. No reason to do it more than that.

Very well said plain and simple

I too think the zerks should all be removed they cause more problems!!!!

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I plan to change out the bearings and seals next week. Where do you recommend to purchase these items?
Tom
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #7

Found Timken bearings are almost impossible to obtain locally - as the Chinese bearings have even taken over at auto parts stores.

I bought them all my bearings, races & seals from Amazon. Also bought a spare set... just in case.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

Check with NAPA an see if they carry them. We have speciality shops in Canada that carry Timkin. Or go the the Timken web site and look for a dealer. Good luck. And as every one has said. Don't use the grease zeros in the hubs unless you really know what you are doing. Brake replacements are costly.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #9

I tried NAPA and they had to order them. They only stocked Chinese replicants.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #10

Got mine from a local industrial bearing shop in town.. Pricey, but Timkens
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:16 AM   #11

You all do realize that you need to check those Timken Bearings you're buying really good, as some of the Timkens are now made in China!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote