Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #1

Awnings

I realize not to leave your awnings out during wind but what about the slide awnings you can't bring them in? Had some winds in Colorado Springs lately and our slide awnings have to be out with the slides.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin View Post
I realize not to leave your awnings out during wind but what about the slide awnings you can't bring them in? Had some winds in Colorado Springs lately and our slide awnings have to be out with the slides.
I suppose with extremely strong winds, the slide awnings could be damaged, I've never had slide awnings. They are rather small in comparison to your other awnings and they are attached at the coach and the slide which helps make them stable. I have personally seen the large awnings get ripped right off of a camper before because it was left open during severe storms. If you anchor the large awnings down you would have less chance of damage. Those arms that hold up the awning will bend easily in strong winds.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:48 AM   #3

We spend a lot of time at Lake McConaughy in Nebraska where the winds can knock over a 5th wheel if it wants to. Because of that, we have never gotten slide toppers.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #4

Winds will damage slide awnings. I was recently at an rv park and some 40-50 mph winds came through, the MH next to me had a large slide awning that was torn from the MH end. He said they were less than a year old. Ended up cutting it off to get the slide in and not have it flap.
My Father in law who travels a lot says he has seen several damaged in winds and never puts them on his fivers. I had them on my MH, on my large slide one was getting quite loose and out of shape. I think a worse fate wasn't far off. I'm opting not to have them on the new RW.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

I've seen damage to slide toppers on the Texas gulf coast and in the desert in California, the topper seems to rip where it's connected to the wall of the RV. I've seen people having to retract the slides in the wind to prevent damage to the topper.

I thought about installing toppers to help when we get an occasional light snow in the shoulder seasons but I understand they won't roll up well under snow/ice conditions.

No slide toppers for me!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #6

Most of the time we camp in the woods. branches and leaves falling on the slide all the time. Before packing up to go I have to put a ladder up to make sure the roof is clear to close. Being in the woods we really don't get to see damaging winds that would rip off a slide topper.An awning yes slide topper probably not. Any how having said that my new RW has 3 slide toppers. Plus most leaks occur at the slide and most are stopped with the slide topper. If mine got ripped off by the wind I'd put in an insurance claim and replace it right away. I really like them.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Most of the time we camp in the woods. branches and leaves falling on the slide all the time. Before packing up to go I have to put a ladder up to make sure the roof is clear to close. Being in the woods we really don't get to see damaging winds that would rip off a slide topper.An awning yes slide topper probably not. Any how having said that my new RW has 3 slide toppers. Plus most leaks occur at the slide and most are stopped with the slide topper. If mine got ripped off by the wind I'd put in an insurance claim and replace it right away. I really like them.
There are definitely pros and cons. I also camp often in wooded areas and it is a pain to get up on the roof to make sure I don't have twigs and branches on the slides before retraction. The older I get, the less I like getting up on the roof. I carry an electric blower with me to blow off the slides. No matter what, I wouldn't give up camping for "Hampting"!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #8

We had them on the last rig. Once, while camping on a bluff, backed up to the Pacific Ocean, a storm blew in. It was so bad, we brought the slides in to prevent damage and to allow us to sleep. Those things sure can make a racket!!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
There are definitely pros and cons. I also camp often in wooded areas and it is a pain to get up on the roof to make sure I don't have twigs and branches on the slides before retraction. The older I get, the less I like getting up on the roof. I carry an electric blower with me to blow off the slides. No matter what, I wouldn't give up camping for "Hampting"!
My days of going up a ladder are over although the ladder on the rig is pretty easy. We were camping for a month in the woods and when we went to leave I went up on the roof with a hose to wash off the twigs and pine needles. When I was done the roof was slippery and the ladder was 2 rungs short. I was going to call the fire department to get me down. After contemplating the humiliation I tried again and got down vowing never to go up there again.
I'll keep the slide toppers and if need be pull the slides in during a bad storm. LOL
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Dan

Also I find that the slide toppers help control the heat as they shade the top of the slides and help reduce sun damage on the seals. So far I am happy with them

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #11

What I've done when it's time to bring the slides in and under trees,
is either lift or drop the front jacks to create a pretty big angle front to back or vice versa
and then the blower or water hose takes it right off with the help of gravity !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
Traveling

Yes, I have heard the same thing about awnings/wind. We ordered the awnings this time, after MUCH debate. When we really thought about how many times we were in a LOT of wind... not that often. How often are we under trees, rain and sun? ALWAYS. Hopefully we made the right decision. It's a hotly debated one, for sure.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:36 AM   #13

Another awning question. I have 2 awnings one on the rig and a second one next to it on the slide out. They both have LED lights on the rollers but only one switch controls both light simultaneously. So the question is if one awning is out and I turn on the lights will the LED's under the rolled up awning that are on even though the awning is rolled up burn the awning or cause discoloration etc etc etc
Old 04-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #14

Yes, both lights come on at the same time even if rolled up...
(just like the one switch for both LR slides that also smacks of very little foresight )

but, since they are led's, I'm trusting they would generate enough heat to do any damage (at least I would hope not or there may be some liability on rw's part) we'll see as time and use goes on....
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Another question on awnings...what, if anything are you using to lubricate the sliders/rails mounted on the side of the coach?
Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #16

If you hose off slide tops before leaving, where does that water go when you put the slides in? Are there any problems with putting in wet slides?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #17

Same place it goes if it's raining

I've never worried about putting in wet slides on any rv I've ever had...
but just like many things others may have a different opinion and may wait until it stops raining and slide tops dry before collapsing
Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #18

We do not have toppers...when it rains the top of the slides get wet, if it's time to go they go in wet. The seals will push much of the excess water off when they are retracting so you don't get much water inside the coach.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
We do not have toppers...when it rains the top of the slides get wet, if it's time to go they go in wet. The seals will push much of the excess water off when they are retracting so you don't get much water inside the coach.
Agree , the wipers do a good job. The water dropped on the floor can be picked up with (at most) a hand towel, not a lot at all.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #20

I was at New Orleans RV Show in March and there was a vendor selling a dust mop/broom with a 10-12' handle extension with a 90' adjustable angle near the head to sweep off slide from the ground. Looked like a great idea but I really don't camp in the woods so, I didn't buy it. Will check to see if I can get the company name from the show promoter.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote