Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #1

Awning Motor On 39 MB

My rear awning doesn't want to activate without a little help, was wondering if anyone knows where the motor is located?
Would like to locate and see if I need to lubricate it or replace it, also if awnings fail to retract, how can they be manually closed?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #2

Its in the forward head. The aft head is just a dummy with bearing.

If I put ours out flat pitch, I always had to help it in, steep pitch it would come in, but real slow.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post

If I put ours out flat pitch, I always had to help it in, steep pitch it would come in, but real slow.

Thanks Brad, ours was at a flat pitch, as it extended part way over a Gazebo, but that is exactly the way it acted.
Hope Dory is doing fine, my wife and myself pray for you both all the time.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Thanks Brad, ours was at a flat pitch, as it extended part way over a Gazebo, but that is exactly the way it acted.
Hope Dory is doing fine, my wife and myself pray for you both all the time.
Thanks Jeff and Karen! She is still in the hospital - good spirits, but it doesn't sound like the LVAD did as much for her as they hoped. The other parts of her heart are failing such as the aortic valve. She is really needing that transplant.

I never could figure out why my rear awning was so slow. I often wondered about voltage drop on the additional length of wire through the slide - but lubing may gain you a bunch. I have a Carefree still on the MH, and I need to take that apart and lube it as it sounds like it needs it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Jeff and Karen! She is still in the hospital - good spirits, but it doesn't sound like the LVAD did as much for her as they hoped. The other parts of her heart are failing such as the aortic valve. She is really needing that transplant.

I never could figure out why my rear awning was so slow. I often wondered about voltage drop on the additional length of wire through the slide - but lubing may gain you a bunch. I have a Carefree still on the MH, and I need to take that apart and lube it as it sounds like it needs it.
I will give that a try Brad.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

I doubt if that will help. Mine was dead slow, and I also lubed it. Then, the splined end cap on the tube stripped. Could only get it with a replacement motor. I installed the new motor/endcap with high hopes for a speed increase... still dead slow.

You see these RV Shows on TV. When they demo the CareFree awnings, they're always going twice as fast as mine. Maybe its "trick photography" ha ha. Oh well...
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
I doubt if that will help. Mine was dead slow, and I also lubed it. Then, the splined end cap on the tube stripped. Could only get it with a replacement motor. I installed the new motor/endcap with high hopes for a speed increase... still dead slow.

You see these RV Shows on TV. When they demo the CareFree awnings, they're always going twice as fast as mine. Maybe its "trick photography" ha ha. Oh well...

Everything is always good on TV, and for an additional fee for shipping and handling, you can get two for the price of one.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:

Just wondering if someone has measured the awning motor voltage (at the motor) during operation? The comment that wiring size (voltage drop) is possible and or a faulty/loose connection somewhere between the awning motor and the battery. Both of my awnings operate fairly fast and at about the same speed in both directions. If I am not careful when retracting either awning they will slam closed slightly shaking the RV. I inch the retract action towards the final few inches. Same with extending the awnings, I inch the final few inches or they sail through their full open position and start a reverse rewind.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
Just wondering if someone has measured the awning motor voltage (at the motor) during operation? The comment that wiring size (voltage drop) is possible and or a faulty/loose connection somewhere between the awning motor and the battery. Both of my awnings operate fairly fast and at about the same speed in both directions. If I am not careful when retracting either awning they will slam closed slightly shaking the RV. I inch the retract action towards the final few inches. Same with extending the awnings, I inch the final few inches or they sail through their full open position and start a reverse rewind.
Bob
Do you have the carefree awnings. Mine are the same way as everyone else's not bad going out but the rear is very slow. Have not had the time to check voltage at the motor but the wire to the switch is 15' closer than the main which operates quicker. Lubing definitely helps to keep it from stopping but still very slow until the halfway point
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #10

Shane,
Both are by Carefree. One observation I had is after completely replacing all the DC connections in the battery area, and the bedroom slide controller in the basement and replacing those circuit breakers with several volts dropping across them my bedroom slide and both awings, which were sluggish are doing much better. The loose connection at the hydraulic pump motor resulted in low hydraulic pressure which caused the main two opposing slides and leveling cylinders to operate very slowly. The resulting voltage drop at the motor connection led to a failed pump motor. To date I have not found one good well made electrical connection in our RV which includes coax, DC and AC. The journeyman electrician side of my life has been handy working out those bugs. My journeyman industrial mechanical side of my life has been helpful with the rest of what has required attention. My electrical engineering degree has been helpful in analyzing thorny issues. I was naive to assume I could hang up my technical life and ride off into the sunset with my RW. Very similar to my home, there is always something on our RW needing attention. We really enjoy our Redwood so perhaps it was intended I keep off the sofa and stay busy.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 09-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Your right Bob stay off the sofa I am like you with an electrical background, no engineering degree but being I am still working 12hr days I do not have the time to delve into it further unless it quits working. So you replaced all the circuit breaker on the little bus bar behind the batteries. Did you go a size up or just better quality
Old 09-09-2017, 03:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Your right Bob stay off the sofa I am like you with an electrical background, no engineering degree but being I am still working 12hr days I do not have the time to delve into it further unless it quits working. So you replaced all the circuit breaker on the little bus bar behind the batteries. Did you go a size up or just better quality
I purchased Bussman brand from Amazon. I stayed with the same size and type replacing all of them. I use to spec Bussman fuses and breakers. They hold their trip curves and temperatures our rigs can experience. Their quality control is also very good. Not much difference in cost to off brands. All the ring and spade connectors were replaced with T&B. Those T&B's never let me down in my industrial control design world.