Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

Anyone have issues setting up Dish TV ?

I received my Dish Pathway X2 and 2 Wally's yesterday... So far I have over 5 hours clocked on the phone with Tech support with no Luck..

I am able to get the channels, but the Wally's do not want to complete the download cycle? So everytime I shut off the Wally, they are back to the begining. It is frustrating, and so far nobody at tech support has resolved the issue.. They get stuck on the " Downloading Wally Software" screen...

I can keep them like that, but it is not the proper way to operate...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #2

Joe,
Sorry but I have the older vip211. Same issue however, if you unplug, it take about 25-30 minutes to find satellites and download guide. That's why I rewired the entertainment slide so when I boondock, I run it off the inverter 100% of the time.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Joe,
Sorry but I have the older vip211. Same issue however, if you unplug, it take about 25-30 minutes to find satellites and download guide. That's why I rewired the entertainment slide so when I boondock, I run it off the inverter 100% of the time.

Ken
Thanks Ken , They ( dish ) are telling me that I MAY have to find someone close to me that has a dish on their house and download from that satellite...
Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

Yea, I just got a 2nd hopper with a newer user interface. I tried downloading the upgrade to my older receiver and couldn't do it. Dish techs were able to do it overnight. Not sure if it was because I had a wifi connection or not.

Ken
Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #5

Joe,

I just ordered a Wally to replace the Vip211z and for some reason this time Dish insisted that we activate it at the house. Our house has Hopper so he had to use another antenna LNB to make it work, but got it all downloaded and restored our house back to Hopper.

I have it sitting here waiting to go Tuesday for vacation. I'll let you know how that worked having it pre-loaded. I think all that I will need to do is do a check switch in the RV.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Joe,

I just ordered a Wally to replace the Vip211z and for some reason this time Dish insisted that we activate it at the house. Our house has Hopper so he had to use another antenna LNB to make it work, but got it all downloaded and restored our house back to Hopper.

I have it sitting here waiting to go Tuesday for vacation. I'll let you know how that worked having it pre-loaded. I think all that I will need to do is do a check switch in the RV.
Thanks Brad
Old 05-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Thanks Ken , They ( dish ) are telling me that I MAY have to find someone close to me that has a dish on their house and download from that satellite...

Dish has a dedicated RV help line, but they aren't there 24/7 like the rest of the yahoos are. I have found great luck with them, but I just ask to get directly to the RV tech support. I don't waste my time with whoever answers.
Ashjack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:26 AM   #8

Joe,
I don't know if this will help but here was our experience with the X2 receiver with our Montana: I thought, or was led to believe, that we could have two receivers hooked up to the X2. We have a Wally and a 211 receiver. I spent at least a day trying to get them both hooked up and was on with tech support for a long time. The first receiver would lock and load just fine, but the second receiver would hang up during the download process. Tech support finally said I needed to call a local Dish technician, so I did. He came out to the campground and as soon as he saw what I was trying to do, he said "I've never seen it work yet." He said I could load one receiver or the other but not both. He checked all my wiring and connections, and he was right. I couldn't do what I thought the antenna could do. Was irritated about that, and thankfully he didn't charge me even for the service call, but learned to live with only having one TV on satellite at a time. The RW came with the Winegard 1000 antenna installed, no problem with both receivers connecting. I sold the X2 and the problem went away.
Iceman1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

**update***

I finally received a call from a technician that was in the Outdoor RV Tech Support department of Dish.. When she first called me, she promised I would be fixed.... close to 4 hours later, and all is FIXED ! !

She told me that every once in a while, a new receiver setup will require you to access the western arc satellites of 110/19/129 in order to complete the software update... It was BRUTAL ! ! I finally got my big rolling table out from the shed, ran extension cords, pulled the tv off the bedroom wall and hooked everything up in the driveway..

We kept going to different spots in the driveway until we got in a spot that we could access ALL 3 . . The sat finder we/I was using kept showing questionable on any 1 at a time.. She was persistent, And she also is an RV'r !

ALL my thanks go out to Karissa for her help ! ! !
Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

Smile

Good deal, Joe. I have found them very helpful, especially when you get to the right tech person.

Ken
Old 05-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Good deal, Joe. I have found them very helpful, especially when you get to the right tech person.

Ken
your right Ken... at 1 point she told me to move the sat 5' closer to my walkway to the left of the deck?? I said " are you stalking me?" she laughed and said " kind of".. she was using google maps, and a sat finder program they have to bring up my address, this allowed her to see what I was working with... I had a very small window to locate all 3 western arc sats...
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

That is a problem with the Wally - they have to see all 3 satellites or they can't complete the check switch. That was one reason many stayed with the Vip211z.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #13

We area using the Wally and the only problem on setting it up was that Wally didn't recognize the hard drive for use a DVR. Called tech support and no luck. He said he didn't think you could use the Wally as a DVR but the guy at camping world had said it was not an issue. Needless to say, Camping word was right, DISH was wrong. I turned on the hard drive and Wally in the wrong order. Guess I was lucky about the initial setup as I had clear sky to all 3 satellites.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #14

If i knew it needed to be on the western arch to downlod, it woukd have saved me a ton of time and aggrivation..every tech told me to choose Eastern arch...
Unti the last tech..:-)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:14 AM   #15

Joe..... You have convinced me to stay with cable or antenna.... My life is quite stress free at the moment and this would put me over the edge

Steve
Old 05-24-2017, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Joe..... You have convinced me to stay with cable or antenna.... My life is quite stress free at the moment and this would put me over the edge

Steve
OH MY STEVE.. I AM NOT OVER THE EDGE.. NO,NOT ME,NEVER,,NO WAY,JUST HAVE THE VOICES GETTING LOUDER IN MY HEAD...
Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #17

Joe, just a follow up. Installed my Wally today after the tech did downloads at the house a week ago, and it mated up to the Travler antenna without issue. All three satellites strong, and it immediately recognized my USB hard drive and USB OTA antenna. I of course had to let it reformat the hard drive, but no issues.

Nice menus on the Wally over the Vip211z. The Wally is more like the Hopper 3.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Joe, just a follow up. Installed my Wally today after the tech did downloads at the house a week ago, and it mated up to the Travler antenna without issue. All three satellites strong, and it immediately recognized my USB hard drive and USB OTA antenna. I of course had to let it reformat the hard drive, but no issues.

Nice menus on the Wally over the Vip211z. The Wally is more like the Hopper 3.
That's good news Brad . . I was on the phone yet again for 2 hours last night with tech support.. I was not getting any local channels...

Turns out that since I picked "2" receivers in set up, that locks out sat 61.5... which evidently is the one I need for locals??

They also told me that if I travel to FL from PA, I cannot KEEP my PA locals, they will not work, I NEED to call and change my zip code...

I am not a friend of technology ! !
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #19

We have DISH at our house and added the RV to it for $7 per month. With this type of account, we keep our local channels no matter where we go. This is very convenient because I don't have to re-do timers on the DVR every few months when we go from 1 job to the next.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #20

Homeguy, that is the type of account I have. I lose the locals once out of the spot beam area, ususally 300-500 miles.

Joe, This is an easy fix. The reason satellite companies do this is to protect the local advertisers $ (also an FCC requirement). Makes sense when you think about it. A PA car dealer isn't going to sell many cars in FL.

So here is the fix. I have my Dish account set up on my PC/tablet/phone. Once in the new area, I log into my account go to support, chat, and choose technical support (NOT customer service). I give them my new location address (mailing address is the same), telling them I'm in my RV and want locals. After about 10 minutes, I have the locals. I have done this for years all over the western US.

It's easy and quick.