Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 AM   #1

Adding Onan Gen Set

Has any one installed an Onan LP 5.5 0r 6.5 without having the "Gen Prep" already installed. I would assume it would be a fair job. Would need the - galvanized enclosure - exhaust system - taping into the propane system - and bringing the start wiring into the unit up stairs. Or am i kidding myself..
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #2

It is possible to do. I had my dealer install the prep & LP Onan 5.5 in gen set in my 38GK. Lack of factory prep added about $600 to the install.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #3

[QUOTE=RV4us2;63688]It is possible to do. I had my dealer install the prep & LP Onan 5.5 in gen set in my 38GK. Lack of factory prep added about $600 to the install.[/QUOTE

So with this the prep is say $600 to $800 and the Gren around $5000 for a total under 6k. Could you send me the location and dealer name. BTW thankyou. We have been looking at building a 2017 due to the options we want. But this is helping to make it look good to pick up this 2015.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Go online to norwall. They had the best price with free shipping. A 5.5 is around 5000. They have muffler, wiring, transfer switch.i had to get a high pressure propane line for 100.00. Does the trailer not have the tin box in it. If not Tiara Rv could help you. You need the vin# of the trailer when calling. I had an rv tech install mine for 400.00. Dealer wanted triple that amount and I had the gen prep already
Old 03-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

[QUOTE=ted 95;63690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
It is possible to do. I had my dealer install the prep & LP Onan 5.5 in gen set in my 38GK. Lack of factory prep added about $600 to the install.[/QUOTE

So with this the prep is say $600 to $800 and the Gren around $5000 for a total under 6k. Could you send me the location and dealer name. BTW thankyou. We have been looking at building a 2017 due to the options we want. But this is helping to make it look good to pick up this 2015.
I think what he was trying to say is he paid $600 over and above the normal install cost because it didn't have the prep.

PS - the prep does not get you the exaust or LP gas supply, only the heat shield, pre-wired transfer switch, and the remote start/hour meter. When you install with the prep you have to:
  • knock out the plates in the bottom of the cabinet for the Onan ventilation system
  • Route power (2 circuits) from the generator to the transfer switch above the heat shield
  • Route starting cables to the batteries
  • Plug in the remote start harness
  • Install a "t" and route propane to the generator
  • Install new exhaust and hangers.
Without the generator prep, you would also have to:
  • Install the heat shield
  • Install a 50A transfer switch on the bulkhead
  • Intercept the shore line power going to the breaker panel and route it to the transfer switch instead (not fun)
  • Run power (2 circuits) from the transfer switch back to the breaker panel (also not fun)
  • Install a remote start switch and hour meter near the control center and run wiring harness back to the front compartment via the ceiling over the basement.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote