Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #1

Adding an AC Unit

This may be a crazy question, but here goes.
Has anyone ever added a third AC unit to their Redwood, when we bought ours we were told two would be sufficient, but I guess they never spent any summer days in Florida or Nevada. Can this be done?
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #2

I asked the dealer about this last fall when we picked ours up after having some work done. Some of the RW's are pre-wired for the third AC. Ours was not. So I don't know what kind of a job it would be to put one in. They also told me that even if you have three ACs you could only run two at the same time.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #3

Yea Greg, Jeff is correct............running 3 AC's on a dual 50 amp service is not possible. The new Redwoods with the 3 AC"s have a power management package to accomplish it. Even so, with most campgrounds, running two AC's with other high current devices in the coach is problematic. Most campgrounds don't have the capacity to deliver that amount of amperage, so the line voltage dips to very low levels. This is also worse in peak travel season when campgrounds are full. Campground electrical capacity hasn't kept pace with more modern larger RV's that are on the road today.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:45 AM   #4

I asked this same question to Tim Cress and he hooked me up with their engineer...

Yes, it CAN BE DONE... ALMOST ANYTHING can be done with the right amount of $$$$$... They would need to add the Power Management System, that would be the most cost.. I believe they said it may take up to $6k - 7K ??? I really forget the total , but it was up there....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Yea Greg, Jeff is correct............running 3 AC's on a dual 50 amp service is not possible. The new Redwoods with the 3 AC"s have a power management package to accomplish it. Even so, with most campgrounds, running two AC's with other high current devices in the coach is problematic. Most campgrounds don't have the capacity to deliver that amount of amperage, so the line voltage dips to very low levels. This is also worse in peak travel season when campgrounds are full. Campground electrical capacity hasn't kept pace with more modern larger RV's that are on the road today.
Jim, I run 3 ACs on 50A service all the time, in addition to the dryer, electric hot water, microwave. I have a power management system but it hasn't had to shed a load unless I'm running on generator.

Even at a full 15A run for each AC, that's still only 45A against the 100A available on a 50A service.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

My neighbor said pretty much the same thing Brad said about power usage, since we only stay in 50 amp parks when traveling, he also said you could put a stand alone unit in and put a power source plug outside that would hook up directly to park pedestal, thereby never using RV power.
Big concern I guess would be is roof support and running of power supply. Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Thanks for the input Jim, as always your advice is greatly appreciated, I will have my fill of trying to get this done if I even ever do, right now we use a portable we purchased from HD, works well, but RV doesn't really have room for it as only a couple of windows allow you to vent outside.
Thanks again for posting install of Brad's Sat Dish, was very helpful to the installer, gotta love this site.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I asked this same question to Tim Cress and he hooked me up with their engineer...

Yes, it CAN BE DONE... ALMOST ANYTHING can be done with the right amount of $$$$$... They would need to add the Power Management System, that would be the most cost.. I believe they said it may take up to $6k - 7K ??? I really forget the total , but it was up there....
Thanks for feedback Joe, but that's as you say a lotta money.
Stay safe, travel well.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Jim, I run 3 ACs on 50A service all the time, in addition to the dryer, electric hot water, microwave. I have a power management system but it hasn't had to shed a load unless I'm running on generator.

Even at a full 15A run for each AC, that's still only 45A against the 100A available on a 50A service.
Hi Brad, fella next door to me has three units, says if he ever was at a park with low power (EG) 30 amp service, he would run his generator, along with park power, however he did suggest using a stand alone rooftop unit, snaking a power cord down to basement and putting an outside receptacle to plug a rated extension cord into and then plugging directly into Power Pedestal at campground, this should not use any RV power, allowing everything to work as normal.
Concern would be if able to use fan cutout in bathroom, also if roof can be supported to hold unit and how to snake a wire from there to basement. Next major concern would be finding a low profile unit that would not put height above 13 ft 6 ins.
Thanks for your input as usual, hope all is well with you and Dory.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
I asked the dealer about this last fall when we picked ours up after having some work done. Some of the RW's are pre-wired for the third AC. Ours was not. So I don't know what kind of a job it would be to put one in. They also told me that even if you have three ACs you could only run two at the same time.
Hi Greg, thanks for the comeback, I guess it will take some figuring to hopefully work this thing out, if i get a solution or able to pull it off, I will advise.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Thanks for feedback Joe, but that's as you say a lotta money.
Stay safe, travel well.

Yes it is a lot of. Money,,,, that is exactly why we still only have 2 ! ! !
Old 01-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Last year I asked a Redwood tech about adding a third unit to our 2016 39RD and was told that most Redwoods are framed for a third unit, but not necessarily wired for one. He told me to get the VIN for ours so he could ascertain how ours was prepped, but I didn't follow through.

My assumption is that a ductless unit could be installed where the ceiling fan is, and the wiring fished down through the basement for hookup to the power pedestal. Am I right?
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #13

I would guess the 3rd unit would go up front of the roof replacing the vent, whether that's the bedroom or living room on your model, not in the rear replacing the ceiling fan. Mine if replacing the ceiling fan would put 2 acs butted up to each other. Also the unit would have to be low profile, these things are tall enough without adding another 8 to 10".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #14

Before thinking of adding an A/C check the ducts. Many including our 2015RW38RL has ducts that is not really well installed.

This means that the air is not properly handled and the incoming air mixes up with the outgoing air so even if you have two A/C the effect is only about 60%.

We had the same problem, went to an A/C company who got all the ducts in order and voila now the two we have even worked in 109 degrees with no problem.

Think we paid $400 to get all fixed. It is all about insulation between incoming and outgoing air.

We also saved a lot of electricity of course.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #15

what type of AC company Just any stick and brick HVAC co??
Old 01-24-2019, 01:56 AM   #16

We went with a local mobile RV repair that was authorized by Coleman MACH after a recommendation from a local reseller.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote