Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Added Inverter?

I've found, to my surprise, that my new 31sl does not have an inverter as standard equipment. My previous SOB came with one and I just assumed a rig as nice as a Redwood would have one too. We sometimes spend a night somewhere unplugged and it is nice to be able to use the coffee maker or for my wife to use her hair dryer. Has anyone whose Redwood did not come with one, added an inverter, and if so, how did you go about it? Other than house wiring, electrical stuff is all magic to me.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

I assume your coach came with the Norcold fridge and not a residential style. If you have the residential, you already have an inverter installed to keep the fridge running when not hooked up to shore power. We recently removed our Norcold and installed a Samsung residential fridge, and as part of that a 2KW inverter to power it during travel.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Check out page 81 from 6/26/2016 of the What Did You Do To Your Redwood Today? Thread and you can see the inverter I installed. Please let me know if you have questions.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbetravlin View Post
I've found, to my surprise, that my new 31sl does not have an inverter as standard equipment. My previous SOB came with one and I just assumed a rig as nice as a Redwood would have one too. We sometimes spend a night somewhere unplugged and it is nice to be able to use the coffee maker or for my wife to use her hair dryer. Has anyone whose Redwood did not come with one, added an inverter, and if so, how did you go about it? Other than house wiring, electrical stuff is all magic to me.
I had the same belief when I bought mine. I had the dealer add a 2000W pure sine wave inverter before I took delivery.

The only thing I would have done different is possibly not buying the one that had a converter in it as now I have two. The inverter is now my primary converter/charger and the one that came with the rig is secondary (pulled the breaker).
Old 08-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #5

If you plan to run the coffee maker, microwave, or hair dryer make sure you have a BIG battery bank. Any one of those devices could draw 100 to 150 amps from your batteries.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote