Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 10:08 PM   #1

AC Thermostat

Wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar problem. Last winter in Florida we noticed that sometimes our air conditioner would not run. We noticed the themostat was not fastened tight against the wall and if we slightly moved it the air would come back on. This didn't happen just once but not something that happened all the time. We have noticed this summer that it is doing it again. Has anyone had a problem like this and have you upgraded the thermostat and what did you go to? Current thermostat is RV Comfort made by AirXel
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:13 AM   #2

It could be a bad thermostat. But I would check for loose wire connections. Remove tstat cover and 2 screws holding it to the wall. Gently pull wires out the hole one at a time if you have to. Double check the small or tiny wire nuts that connect the wires.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #3

Rv Thermostat

I found the problem. The wire connection that goes to the compressor has a bad connection. The wire is connected to a what I call a spade connection and that is enclosed by a rather large wire nut. Not the best way to do it but it worked for five years. Thanks for the reply.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #4

Where does the 12v for the thermostat actually pull from? My thermostat is not working, I replaced it with a new one but I'm not getting 12 volts (the original thermostat either was at end of life or also lost the 12v power). I've checked everywhere I know to check and cannot figure out where the 12v are supplied from. Thanks for the help!
snidely1440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely1440 View Post
Where does the 12v for the thermostat actually pull from? My thermostat is not working, I replaced it with a new one but I'm not getting 12 volts (the original thermostat either was at end of life or also lost the 12v power). I've checked everywhere I know to check and cannot figure out where the 12v are supplied from. Thanks for the help!
the 12 volts DC comes from the propane furnace . start there. It should be a 3 wire from the furnace to the thermostat and 5 or 6 wires to the roof unit. there should be a splice behind the Tstat to bring the 12 volts negitive up to the roof and to power the Tstat.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the help! I've checked the furnace and am not getting 12v there either. Where is the 12v to the furnace coming from?
Old 08-25-2023, 12:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely1440 View Post
Thanks for the help! I've checked the furnace and am not getting 12v there either. Where is the 12v to the furnace coming from?
the furnace should be direct from the 12 volt fuse panel .
Old 08-25-2023, 06:07 PM   #8

Thanks, None of the fuses are labeled furnace on the fuse panel nor are they showing blown either. I just wonder if the 12v is tapped off of something else and is no longer connected because of a loose connection? I have 12v to the thermostat in the bedroom the A/C in there works just fine.