Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

80 amp circuit breaker

Can anyone provide a picture of how they removed the 50amp breaker and installed a 80amp breaker for the slide/leveling issue? Thanks
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #2

Being a retired electrical engineer, I have to caution folks about replacing a 50 amp breaker with an 80. The breaker is sized to protect the wire from overheating and burning. The wire size for 50 amps is #6. 80 amp is #4. Putting the 80 amp breaker in can cause a bigger problem than tripping the breaker. I'd check with the factory about the issue before switching to the larger breaker.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVH View Post
Being a retired electrical engineer, I have to caution folks about replacing a 50 amp breaker with an 80. The breaker is sized to protect the wire from overheating and burning. The wire size for 50 amps is #6. 80 amp is #4. Putting the 80 amp breaker in can cause a bigger problem than tripping the breaker. I'd check with the factory about the issue before switching to the larger breaker.
It's Lipperts, manufacturer of the system, recommendation to increase breaker size to correct the issue.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Can anyone provide a picture of how they removed the 50amp breaker and installed a 80amp breaker for the slide/leveling issue? Thanks
Wayne,

The breakers in my 2015 RL38 are located in the front compartment under the pin box. Its not one breaker , it a combo of two 30 amp breakers and its equal to 60 amps. The breaker and motor feeder is a #4 wire and they are all located in the forward compartment. You can get the same style breaker that auto resets and just increase the rating to 40 amps each. The swap is fairly easy and will take about 45 mins. the link below is the same type breaker my coach has in it. Turn off the batterys , unplug the shore power disconnect the negative side of the battery. and replace the 30 amp units with 40a units. You will find 2 breakers tied togeather with a copper strip. its as easy as it sounds,no wire , no special tools . If I recall you need a screw driver , a nut driver set or small sockets. Remove and replace.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-Circu...ateway&sr=8-13
Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #5

Thanks to everyone that has responded.
I was planning on changing all the #6 awg wires with #4 awg flexible welding cable.
I have attached a picture of the breakers in my unit, Im assuming the middle breaker with the #6 wire is the one that is the issue, that others have replaced with the 80 amp breaker.
I am all for changing the two 30 amp breakers to 40 amp breakers if it will cure the problem.
Also attached is the Lippert sheet that recommends the 80 amp breaker change.
I was looking for a picture of one that has been changed, as it seems like a simple fix. it would also save me from hooking up and driving to a repair facility for them to perform a 30 minute fix. Possibly having to leave my unit there for who knows how long.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181029_170634.jpg (116.5 KB, 30 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 80 amp breaker lippert0058.pdf (51.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #6

Ooops... picture in my last post is upside down.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 AM   #7

30 amp breakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thanks to everyone that has responded.
I was planning on changing all the #6 awg wires with #4 awg flexible welding cable.
I have attached a picture of the breakers in my unit, Im assuming the middle breaker with the #6 wire is the one that is the issue, that others have replaced with the 80 amp breaker.
I am all for changing the two 30 amp breakers to 40 amp breakers if it will cure the problem.
Also attached is the Lippert sheet that recommends the 80 amp breaker change.
I was looking for a picture of one that has been changed, as it seems like a simple fix. it would also save me from hooking up and driving to a repair facility for them to perform a 30 minute fix. Possibly having to leave my unit there for who knows how long.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
you are correct , the two breakers tied together are for the hydraulic pump.
Thanks again