Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Earlier today one of the Forum members compared the bumps and jarring that our Redwoods experience during travel as equaling a 7.0 earthquake. That prompts a question: <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><O:P></O:P>
We own a 36RL that's almost one year old. The drawers in the pantry are slipping and pushing the pantry door open in transit. Has anyone experienced that problem? Any suggestions to keep ourdrawers in place?

Edited by: Grandpa
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #2

Jeff:

We just take one of the pillows off our RLs couch and place it between the pantry and the island before we retract the slides. Works fine and drawers don't even leave a mark on inside pantry door. It's the "low-tech solution" I guess.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Yep, low tech is my thinking as well. A rolled up towel is how we are dealing with it now.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Team

The factory now is putting 2 latches on the pantry door.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Great idea Dave!Thanks!! I can actually install another latch. That's still in my pay grade.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

Dave, you're making me want to brave the snow and ice and tow out to Indiana so I can get to the Service Center (almost).

Like you said, no one leaves Redwood's Service Center without a smile on their face because of the many additional services and modifications they doduring the warranty work - that you didn't even ask for. They treat you like royalty there.

I'm adding those latches to my list, but in the interim, that pillowkeeps the pantry and dishwasher doors closed so I can tow without wondering what's going on back there. Also, don't forget to do the same on the other end of the island because if your silverware drawer (top one) opens, itwill put a "ding" inthe rear refridgerator door. I already changed one panel. Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Well we're from the old school, so we added
old fashion screen door hook and eye fasteners to each drawer. </span>We tried the spring loaded but wouldn’t keep
a loaded drawer in.</span><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Dave, you're making me want to brave the snow and ice and tow out to Indiana so I can get to the Service Center (almost).

Like you said, no one leaves Redwood's Service Center without a smile on their face because of the many additional services and modifications they doduring the warranty work - that you didn't even ask for. They treat you like royalty there.

I'm adding those latches to my list, but in the interim, that pillowkeeps the pantry and dishwasher doors closed so I can tow without wondering what's going on back there. Also, don't forget to do the same on the other end of the island because if your silverware drawer (top one) opens, itwill put a "ding" inthe rear refridgerator door. I already changed one panel.
Just wait until the next rally and we'll all meet there for a party. I might have a drink or 2 if John shows up with the good stuff
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

My 2013 36rl HAS 2 latches. It still tore the door off its hinges -- having it replaced (warranty), but still travel &amp; will continue to travel with a couple of pillows between the pantry door &amp; the island. Why didn't they use "self-closing" drawers (they drop down slightly in back when fully closed)? Our old mid-90"s Jayco had them, they're used in most kitchen cabinets, and even in cheap diy knock-down furniture,so they aren't anything new and I doubt they're any more expensive than what they're using now (and no more replacind pantry doors!!!)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #10

In place of the pillow, if you can find a large (4" dia) foam swim noodle (might be difficult in the frozenNorth)you can cut a 6 or 8 inch section, then slit one side and it will slip on the counter and keep the pantry door closed. That's what we used before we installed the hook &amp; eye fasteners.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

Dave I always have the good stuff. Just make sure you park within crawling distance as some of my bourbon is sneaky, goes down real smooth, and sneaks up and knocks you up the side of the head when you least expect it!!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Yea John but once I fall down my wife takes advantage of my youth and innocence.....kind of makes drinking all worth while. Beside when I drink I forget about politics.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

You know what they say Dave... Cunning and Experience beat Youth and Enthusiasm EVERY TIME!

I need to come down South and meet this Lady of yours sometime!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #14

She's alot less aggressive than Dave makes her out to be. Dave actually wants her to take advantage of him.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #15

Dang... I love it when that happens...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
She's alot less aggressive than Dave makes her out to be. Dave actually wants her to take advantage of him.
That's true
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #17

I used a piece of 1"x 2" wood about 5-6 feet long with velcro on each end. this wedges between the cabinet frame( at top and bottom)and the drawers of the pantry. This tightly keeps the drawers in place while in transit. I also put felt bumpers on the 1"x2" at each drawer positionso they dont scratch anything.
AE New Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #18

I know everyone will think I really think out of the box...but I experiencedthe same with my pantry. I ran down to Lowe's and purchased a wooden closet dowel rod (2" dia.) Covered the rod with grey foam covering (just slipped it on to protect all the wood) Cut the rod to fit in the pantry from corner left top...to corner right bottom. It wedges in place with little effort. Door closes perfect. No movement ...in drawers or door. For storing ...when not being used...it rest behind the sofa perfectly. So problem resolved!

Lady E Cooper
https://myrvkitchen.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/up...21-300x147.jpg
The 2014 38GK Full body NEW Paint is here!!!
2013 Ford 350, King Ranch - Diesel Turbo 4x4
TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRVProfessor&amp;LadyE
I know everyone will think I really think out of the box...but I experiencedthe same with my pantry. I ran down to Lowe's and purchased a wooden closet dowel rod (2" dia.) Covered the rod with grey foam covering (just slipped it on to protect all the wood) Cut the rod to fit in the pantry from corner left top...to corner right bottom. It wedges in place with little effort. Door closes perfect. No movement ...in drawers or door. For storing ...when not being used...it rest behind the sofa perfectly. So problem resolved!

Lady E Cooper

Cooper

What is this "gray foam covering" you are talking about??

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #20

Sorry about the poor description........It is the grey foam pipe insulation ....or foam noodle. You can find it in the plumbing dept at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Lady E
https://myrvkitchen.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/up...21-300x147.jpg
The 2014 38GK Full body NEW Paint is here!!!
2013 Ford 350, King Ranch - Diesel Turbo 4x4
TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote