Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

38GK slides not closing

MY dining and living slides are not closing. When i go to close i just get a clicking sound in where the pump is. If i try to open them a little more, the jacks start coming down... Checked all voltages with Lippert tech and they seem ok.
I originally was having a problem with the auto level. I ended up having to manually level the trailer.
I tried to bring in the slides same way i did the jacks but it just seems to spin when i do the pump, like the slide is not getting any hydraulic fluid. Tech said maybe there was some sort of bypass issue.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
gbohrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Try replacing the relay with an 80 amp instead of the 50 amp that runs the pump
Also can happen when batteries are low
Old 11-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

I assume thats in where the pump is? Wouldn't that usually mean the pump would never work if the fuse was bad?
gbohrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Yes on the back wall to the left of the pump
It is not a fuse but a resetting relay it open and closes when you push the slide button
If it goes bad or batteries are low it will click
Old 11-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #5

This SOUNDS obvious but...... Did you check the hydraulic fluid level WITH THE SLIDES IN AND JACKS UP? If you were low, that could happen
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:32 PM   #6

While it could be a by-pass issue in a ram with a bad o-ring, Start with the easy things first. Also search the forum for your issue as many of us, myself included, have had similar issues.

Like the previous post says, Check the fluid first. And again everything has to be retracted including the jacks. A little hard to do when the slide wont come in. Therefore your truck needs to be hitched.

The circuit breaker is to light from the factory. I replaced mine with the 80 amp.

If you are not plugged into shore power, try that waiting until your batteries are at full charge. Even then if your batteries are weak, they will not keep the voltage where it needs to be and the draw will take them down (yes even plugged in to AC).

I found my battery issue by backing my truck up and plugging the trailer 12V in. My truck has a dual battery system and after being plugged into the truck (with the truck running) wala slide comes right in. My batteries in the trailer show 12.7 volts but the draw from the slide motor is enough that they do not hold the necessary voltage.

Because your jacks are also moving (I had this issue also), you could have air in your system. Once you get everything in and the fluid full, (don't fill it before or you will make a huge mess) exercise the system several times open and closed. Jacks up and down several times to work out any air in the system. Then make sure it is full again.

If that does not work, someone posted the leaking ram diagnostic as an attachment from lippert. I think a search of your subject will pull it up. If not, go on the Lippert site and download it.

My guess is you will find your problem before it gets to that point.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:12 AM   #7

OK, Living/Dining should be the opposing slide to your Kitchen slide. Is your Kitchen slide going in and out okay?? Those two slide are on a common hydraulic line and generally if you have a cylinder leaking/o-ring out of place the pump can't generate any pressure to move either slide all the way.
BUT you say you're getting a "clicking sound" from the pump area it does sound like a low battery or the reversing relay is going or gone.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #8

This happened twice to me on my 2016 RL. Both time it was the solenoid.
rhand48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

Reversing relay/solenoid
rhand48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

When you find YOUR issue, will you please update this thread? It will be helpful to others.