Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Sounds like to me alot of redwoods are overloaded, but I guess if you just get a drw it's ok. just my 2cents

NOPE! The Redwood isn't overloaded. They are heavy and they have an extra heavy pin weight due to where the tanks are located. The 12 Gallon hot water tank alone adds 100 lbs to the pin.

Because of the heavy pin weight, these trailers pull like a dream even with high winds. I understand that it's tempting to try pulling one of these with a 3/4 truck but it's just too big of a trailer.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #22
Dan

The bottom line is the weight on 2 rear tires and what they are rated for, would I tow a RL with a SRW nope and neither would anyone on this forum

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #23

Some do and are within ratings with judicious loading and by cat scale weights.

In fact, on our last trip, I had too much weight in the back during the first part and therefore too little pin wgt.

After a 1/2 day of towing stopped for the night rearranged it and all was well the rest of the trip.

but, the nets weight police will still pooh-pooh my choices

Now, agree, if we were full timers, would be in a dually (if still in a 5er), but for now, it tows fine.

And, SO FAR, no executive order has come down to dictate my personal choice I can still do what I want with my 'stuff'.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Some do and are within ratings with judicious loading and by cat scale weights.

In fact, on our last trip, I had too much weight in the back during the first part and therefore too little pin wgt.

After a 1/2 day of towing stopped for the night rearranged it and all was well the rest of the trip.

but, the nets weight police will still pooh-pooh my choices

Now, agree, if we were full timers, would be in a dually (if still in a 5er), but for now, it tows fine.

And, SO FAR, no executive order has come down to dictate my personal choice I can still do what I want with my 'stuff'.
I AGREE ,we are not all full timers with 3 or 4 pensions feeding our bank accounts !! I just returned from a coast to coast (lake Erie to Pacific) wonderful trip pulling a 14rl,lightly loaded,I think with a 3500 srw Vortec Chevy and we got along just fine except for those darn bridge transitions %#*%$.Don't get me wrong,dually is the way to go,but it is also my 2nd vehicle so I prefer srw.PS has anyone accidentally pulled out their breakaway switch on their unit?Well I did leaving a Loveland Co.campground and had no electric to my trailer brakes after putting the plunger back in the breakaway.When finally talking to a Coachnet tec one and one half hours later,to my surprise everything was ok.Any help there guys ???
TerLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
I have a 2011 Chevy 2500 gas, fifth wheel towing rating is 14,100. I found a 36RL with a weight of 13,300 dry. My truck is a work truck so all maintenance and fuel is paid for. Usually I just take weekend trip with my family but sometimes I use it if I'm on a long term job out of town. I have considered buying a 2015 GMC Denali 2500, Diesel, which has a tow rating of 17,000. It's nice being able to talk with people that have already done what I'm about to do. Maybe the 31SL is the way to go for me.
Just for your info, my 31SL came from the factory with a dry weight of 12, 400 lbs, and that was with the quartz countertop option that is no longer available. Watching what you load into the 31SL you could be below 14,000 lbs. The other consideration is that even though many of the 3/4 tons are rated to pull the load their GCVWR (Truck plus trailer weight) will be exceeded. Make sure you do your homework before you jump into anything. The trucks and the fifth wheels are major purchases. You don't want to spend upwards of $50,000 on a new truck only to realize that you will need to trade up to a 1 ton single rear wheel or a dually.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #26

Not everyone tows with a dually. We tow our RL with the truck in my signature. Since we aren't full timers, we don't have the W/D or generator and run the tanks mostly empty except for about a 1/3 fresh water. We are within our trucks range based on getting it weighed last year. We bought our RW after getting frustrated with our last rig. The truck was new. Would I like a dually? Most definitely. Our plan is to keep our RW at least another two years and then trading for another, maybe a 38RL. At that time, we will upgrade the SRW to a DRW.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerLar View Post
has anyone accidentally pulled out their breakaway switch on their unit?Well I did leaving a Loveland Co.campground and had no electric to my trailer brakes after putting the plunger back in the breakaway.When finally talking to a Coachnet tec one and one half hours later,to my surprise everything was ok.Any help there guys ??? .
Wonder if the brakes just overheated a bit? Nothing else I can think of. I like stuff that fixes itself!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #28
Site Team

Here's a case in point for a Dually
Was in the Finger Lakes of NY for the last 5 days with a good friend. He has a 2013 F250 and a 37' Work n Play fifth wheel. For the last three days it has been blowing 25-30 mph.
A when we left, I asked him if he would be ok towing the rig, his comment was "yup, fine". My rig towed fine, even in tremendous side winds. I also had more than a half tank of freshwater on purpose.
Met up with him at a fuel stop and asked again. His comment was " well, not sure I want to go much further, rig is all over the place"

Might be partially the trailer, but I'm sticking with my Dually Between the airbags, heavier rear sway bar, trail Air hitch and the IS, you really don't know she's back there.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #29
lwg

Not to be argumentative, but my SRW does just fine in 30 MPH crosswinds with the Redwood in tow. I only barely noticed it was windy until we stopped at a rest area, when I got out the door nearly broke its hinges from the gusting wind.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #30
Site Team

The argument of a SRW or dually can go on forever, just as the best brand of truck. Everybody has to decide for themselves what they're comfortable with keeping in mind how they load and drive their rig.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #31

I'm with LWG on this as well but I'm also with everybody else to. I don't notice my trailer behind me until I look into the rear view mirror but I do notice when a side wind hits because the trailer does make you squirm a bit and I know the drw will help that but I'm not A full timer yet and when that day comes I will have a drw to enjoy. But for now I will stick with my srw till the wheels fall off. Just love truck, that's all
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #32

It's all about choices... Everyone on this forum is informed, or should be. Only you know your truck, your rig, hopefully you have done the math so you know whether you are OK with what you have. Some are OK being right on the edge, some like a safety margin, some have unlimited finances, some have virtually every penny invested in their rig and truck.

People ask for advice on here, those who choose to respond do so willingly to try to offer advice and experiences but ultimately only YOU will decide whether a 3/4, 1 ton or DRW truck is right for you. There is really no need to defend your choice...just be informed and be comfortable with your choice.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #33

One of the things I noticed right away when going from a SRW to a DRW is much better ride on rough / potholed roads.
With the SRW, when I hit a bump or pothole it was tooth jarring / truck rattling it was so harsh.
With the DRW and its larger footprint under the pin weigh, the impact on the truck when hitting bumps or potholes is much smoother
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #34

I'm the fist to say I did NOT want a dually, for any reason.

First trip down the miserable I-70 in the mountains with my dually I didn't want, I looked to the wife and said "wow - I'm finally winning the fight between me and the 5er back there!".

The Redwood and our Last Montana were just heavy and awkward enough that I started to white knuckle a bit in the wind, mountains, and these heaving roads around here with our shortbed. I still don't like having a dually, as there are sacrifices, but put it to task for what it was designed for and it shines.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I'm the fist to say I did NOT want a dually, for any reason.

First trip down the miserable I-70 in the mountains with my dually I didn't want, I looked to the wife and said "wow - I'm finally winning the fight between me and the 5er back there!".

The Redwood and our Last Montana were just heavy and awkward enough that I started to white knuckle a bit in the wind, mountains, and these heaving roads around here with our shortbed. I still don't like having a dually, as there are sacrifices, but put it to task for what it was designed for and it shines.
Exactly my thoughts. I hated giving up my previous truck, and moving to a dually. I still do,......until I'm hooked up, and moving down the road.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #36

My moving from a SRW F350 to a dually has been great. Still haven't found a place where the dually is more awkward than the SRW, but our wintering in AZ will start next week and then we'll know for sure. I have to park way away from the door to stores, etc., but that's good for me.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Here's a case in point for a Dually
Was in the Finger Lakes of NY for the last 5 days with a good friend. He has a 2013 F250 and a 37' Work n Play fifth wheel. For the last three days it has been blowing 25-30 mph.
A when we left, I asked him if he would be ok towing the rig, his comment was "yup, fine". My rig towed fine, even in tremendous side winds. I also had more than a half tank of freshwater on purpose.
Met up with him at a fuel stop and asked again. His comment was " well, not sure I want to go much further, rig is all over the place"

Might be partially the trailer, but I'm sticking with my Dually Between the airbags, heavier rear sway bar, trail Air hitch and the IS, you really don't know she's back there.
Please tell me how a drw stops the wind from from wiggling a forty foot trailer, it's still 4 tires on a pin.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Please tell me how a drw stops the wind from from wiggling a forty foot trailer, it's still 4 tires on a pin.

Glad you asked.......on a SRW truck, due to the tires being more heavily loaded, you will have more side wall flex on the tires. Also, you'll experience more hydroplaning while driving through water since you have a smaller foot print.

With a dually, if you know you're going to be traveling in high wind, you can add more fresh water which will put more weight on the pin. This will eliminate the "tail wagging the dog" effect. If the SRW truck is a short bed, you have more sway issues due to the shorter wheel base.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
Site Team

This is a picture of the SRW truck that I LOVED. I didn't jump onto the dually bandwagon easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 truck.jpg (365.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Glad you asked.......on a SRW truck, due to the tires being more heavily loaded, you will have more side wall flex on the tires. Also, you'll experience more hydroplaning while driving through water since you have a smaller foot print.

With a dually, if you know you're going to be traveling in high wind, you can add more fresh water which will put more weight on the pin. This will eliminate the "tail wagging the dog" effect. If the SRW truck is a short bed, you have more sway issues due to the shorter wheel base.
Dave, still not sold, if the trailer pin was welded to the truck then maybe but it's not.I have an air hitch and the trailer dances around a little that we don't feel but can be seen in the mirrors. It would take a blast more then 25-30 mph to cause a problem. Semis get blown over and there duallys with heavy pin weight.Not trying to argue but I don't think you need a truck rated to tow 26,000 to tow 16,000

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote