Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 03:55 PM   #1

340RL gray tanks valve location

I dropped the pan underneath and it looks like the gray tank valves are located above the black tank. My gray valves are leaking and very hard to open and close. I was hoping to lube them and check the cable routing but don’t want to drop the black tank if I don’t have to. Anyone have drawings or pics?
Mkbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:00 PM   #2

Once the grey tanks are emptied add about a 1/2 bottle of El cheapo cooking oil into them & lube them internally, I did this a couple times a year.
Also you want to look behind the basement wall at the cable routings, mine it seemed they put them in a couple figure 8s, loosened the nut at the handle & was able to take some of the kinks out, helped a bunch.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #3

Thank you! I will give it a try.
Mkbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #4

While I can’t speak about your 340RL directly, I can say that rerouting cables works magic. I’m currently rerouting on our 39MB. Apparently Redwood is only willing to drill 1 4” hole in the decking and all the cables have to pass through that very very poorly placed hole. The cables literally go around in a circle to get to the belly. I drilled new 1/2” holes in more of a line of sight and cut the cables down. I will say when I pulled the cables from the housings they do feel a little sticky when you run your hand along them.

The cooking oil trick mentioned above is also worth doing. The valves do get sticky over time. I pulled all my valves while in there and cleaned them up. I put vaseline on the blades and that made a decent difference but it wasn’t night and day. I replaced the black tank valves with electric and kept the gray valves.

The 39MB is a dream to work on the valves. Theres a lot of room to work and nothing is pinned in by something else. Your mileage may vary.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:01 AM   #5

If Redwood is stacking holding tanks, that's something new. For most rear living units, you have the black & 1 gray in the drop section in front, with the second gray and second black directly to the rear of the drop section with all drains connecting together to a common output, while the fresh water is in the belly behind the axles.
Front living room models I don't know much about except that some use two main outlets which generally requires more sewer hose and a Y connector to the park's sewer connection.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

I took my 2020 3991RD into a local RV repair that did specialty work , non warranty... I asked them to reroute my cables and replace my valves as the are HARD...

I called me to say that he would not replace the valves or cables as he would have to drop the black tank top get to the 2 grey tank valves..
Evidently they stacked the 2 ends over the end far enough that he could NOT reach without dropping the tank..

He had squeezed me in and was unable to actually do that so he just lubed what he could and called it a day....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #7

I stand corrected. Sounds like Redwood/CrossRoads/Keystone has made a simple job extremely difficult now by stacking tanks.
I guess we'll have to just keep up with things on our unit until we give it up, sure doesn't impress me with the things they're doing with the new units.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:37 AM   #8

Wow! Does anyone have a pic of the stacked tanks and why the cables and valves can’t be accessed?
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 06:34 PM   #9

Grey/ Black tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbrands View Post
I dropped the pan underneath and it looks like the gray tank valves are located above the black tank. My gray valves are leaking and very hard to open and close. I was hoping to lube them and check the cable routing but don’t want to drop the black tank if I don’t have to. Anyone have drawings or pics?
We have a 2021 3401RL that we figured out one the grey tank valve was leaking and 2 nothing was plumbed to the #2 grey tank. When we took it in the service center also said they have the tanks stacked and would have to drop the black tank to get to the greys. I installed a new manual valve on the drain line outside the coach to prevent leaking when you remove the cap to install the drain hose. I Never had them drop the black tank, To much labor to remedy that issue, so we just back feed the second grey tank . And Keystone denies that this could ever happen.😡😡😡 You will be very Shocked when you remove the basement wall to get to your cables and plumbing.Unbelievable, I’ll stop there….
AKBugman is offline   Reply With Quote