Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

I wonder if all the glass shower doors in the 31SL models are facing the wrong way. I will try to explain this so everyone can understand. When standing in the shower and you have the glass doors closed the openings between the glass are facing the shower head. I looked at another brand fifth wheel the other day with almost the exact shower and the doors face the opposite direction. Wouldn't it make more sense for the openings to face the back of the shower so less water would enter between the glass panels? I contacted Ron Howard a couple of month ago and he stated that that didn't seem right. I think someone at Redwood is ordering the wrong doors. I looked to see if I could reverse the doors but it would not be an easy task and might involve turning the doors upside down. Does anyone else see this as a defect or am I the only one that sees this as a problem?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #2

I noticed that on another brand at the RV show and thought it odd then.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #3

Yup mine are like that as well. It really does seem like they are backwards.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder
Yup mine are like that as well. Â*It really does seem like they are backwards.
I will have to contact Ron Howard again and see if he found out anything about this situation. If I could find out the manufacturer and contact for the shower stall and glass door provider I would call them and see what they suggest. I find it hard to believe that the correct doors are not available.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #5

Does it actually leak, or does it just look odd?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Does it actually leak, or does it just look odd?
To be honest with you, I'm not sure if it leaks or not. After we took delivery of the 5ver we went to a local rv park and discovered when taking a shower that water leaked from under the lower tract. We took it back to the dealer and left it for a week and after it was supposedly corrected we picked it up and went back to the rv park for 2 more nights. Guess what, it still leaked! I decided to fix the issue myself. Had to remove the DAP that the tech used to fix the leak first which was very difficult. In the process, while laying on the floor(very difficult) I noticed light shining through the bottom of the lower tract. There was a 2 inch section on the inside of the shower that wasn't caulked properly. This was probably the original problem but I went ahead and removed all the original caulking that I could and recaulked with 100% silicone. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but will soon. I also noticed very little caulking on the ends of the lower tract. The tract is designed to allow water that enters the tract to flow back into the inside of the shower. In my case it was going under the tract and exiting out the front of the shower. It just makes sense to me that you want as little water as possible to enter the tract system so to have your doors facing the wrong way is just asking for problems, not to mention the difficulty of keeping the glass clean and waterspot free.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Site Team

For the record.....we don't have leaking showers but we do have self cleaning bathroom floors. Every time we take a shower our floors get washed too!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

Seems like leaking showers has been a problem since "Day One" you would think that they would have corrected that issue by now. The proper way to fix the problem would be to completely remove the shower enclosure and re-install properly sealed, but a lot of work, so sealing the affected areas will do for now.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
Seems like leaking showers has been a problem since "Day One" you would think that they would have corrected that issue by now. Â*The proper way to fix the problem would be to completely remove the shower enclosure and re-install properly sealed, but a lot of work, so sealing the affected areas will do for now.
When I contacted Redwood shortly after my purchase they said that they were not aware of problems with the showers leaking. I told them that everyone on the forum seems to think that it is standard procedure to have a shower that leaks. I was told that originally they had issues with the corner shower but the manufacturer came in and demonstrated how to install and they resolved that issue.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
For the record.....we don't have leaking showers but we do have self cleaning bathroom floors.Â* Every time we take a shower our floors get washed too!
I hear you. The first time we used ours we flooded the bathroom floor, not good and the water wanted to run under the vanity and guess what! There is a hole under the vanity that goes to nowhere!!! That is another issue but I plan on covering the hole with a piece of paneling and caulking around it to prevent water running into the basement area if another leak develops.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

I believe the hole under the vanity is for air return to the furnace in the basement.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

OMGLMAO. GREAT WAY of looking on the Bright side.Edited by: RifRaff
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Site Team

I only get about 2 ounces of of water on the floor so it's no big deal to me.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM

I believe the hole under the vanity is for air return to the furnace in the basement.
When we showed the hole to the tech at the dealer he said he never noticed that before. He called Redwood and was told the hole was probably a miss cut for the vanity plumbing. You can't see it from underneath and when you put your hand in it it just stops! Anyway, speaking of leaking showers, has anyone ever experienced water leak that went undetected until flooding occurred? Just food for thought, My wife and I experienced a toilet overflow in the middle of the night that caused our bedroom carpet to get soaked. This happened in a Nu Wa but it could happen to anyone. Apparently the shutoff valve had a piece of sand or grit in it and allowed it to run unnoticed. Of course if it keeps running it has no choice but to go over the top of the toilet. After that experience at 4 in the morning we invested in some inexpensive battery operated water alarms and place one next to the toilet and under each sink just in case. We also learned to shut off our water supply when leaving the 5ver. Learned our lesson the hard way. I don't think my campground neighbors were real happy with me at 4 in the morning when I was trying to unload the basement so I could dry everything out.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #15

I have the same hole under my vanity in my 31SL. I ran the furnace and you can feel the air being drawn in. The paneling on the ceiling covers the hole so you can not see it from the basment. The space is up between the ceiling joists.

Having been a electricain and A/C furnace tech, I don't thing the amount of return air they have in the coach for the grill under the stair and the one by the fridge is enough return air without the one under the bathroom vanity. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:

I have the same hole under my vanity in my 31SL. I ran the furnace and you can feel the air being drawn in. The paneling on the ceiling covers the hole so you can not see it from the basment. The space is up between the ceiling joists.

Having been a electricain and A/C furnace tech, I don't thing the amount of return air they have in the coach for the grill under the stair and the one by the fridge is enough return air without the one under the bathroom vanity. Just my 2 cents.
On my RL there's also a vent under the dresser in the bedroom. For this reason if you leave the outside basement door open on a hot day, your ac doesn't work as well.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #17

Quote:

I appreciate the information. That is food for thought. Maybe I'll reconsider and just put a 1X2 wood strip in front of the hole and caulk along the base of it. That would still prevent any water from running into the basement area.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #18

There is a 1" x 1" glued to the floor in front of the hole in ours.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:

There is a 1" x 1" glued to the floor in front of the hole in ours.
OK! So maybe these little holes here and there really do serve a purpose. It's interesting that this was not explained to the tech when he called Redwood. I guess I won't cover it completely. That's the benefit of these forums.....lots of brain power and lots of input..Thanks everyone.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
Seems like leaking showers has been a problem since "Day One" you would think that they would have corrected that issue by now. The proper way to fix the problem would be to completely remove the shower enclosure and re-install properly sealed, but a lot of work, so sealing the affected areas will do for now.
When I contacted Redwood shortly after my purchase they said that they were not aware of problems with the showers leaking. I told them that everyone on the forum seems to think that it is standard procedure to have a shower that leaks. I was told that originally they had issues with the corner shower but the manufacturer came in and demonstrated how to install and they resolved that issue.

I sure wish Redwood marketing and engineering would monitor their owner's forum to get some of this feedback. It would help them to become aware ofthese relatively minor issues so they could be corrected and make their customers even happier.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote