Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #1

2015 31sl ceiling light problems

Since Oct. 2014 when we recieved our unit I have replaced 15 led ceiling lights. I have personally replaced them myself. I just call my dealer and he sends me replacements and I ship him back the bad lights. Lately the ones he has sent me seems to be a better built light but with the same wattage. Has anyone had any issues with numerous lights going out? Maybe RW just got a bad batch of lights that they installed in my unit.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:01 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have replaced all the less in the kitchen/ living area. The new ones seem to be holding up better
Old 07-02-2016, 01:10 AM   #3

On the other side of the coin, we've had our RL since April 2013 and lost only one light, just above the refrigerator.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #4

I have been fulltime living in my 2014 Redwood for Two Years as of this weekend.

I have only had two of the Ceiling LEDs go out, replaced them, so far no other light problems.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Started full timing last November, replaced one in bedroom and one over stove.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #6

Glad we didn't get any of the LEDs (awnings, ceiling) as it sounds like just another issue to deal with. On ours I've replaced 3 halogen bulbs (a 2 pack is $3-4) in 3 1/2 years, so I'll stick them.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #7

I may be wrong, but it seems that most of the LED's causing problems are the newer type that Redwood is using. I don't think you can replace just the bulb, you have to replace the entire fixture. I would not like that. Most of the original Halogen fiver owners have just replaced the halogens with an LED bulb and I don't think they have had many problems. I am not full time yet so I am sticking with the halogens. I rarely have many of those on at any one time so the heat build up is not an issue for me but the plan is to eventually replace the bulbs with the LED bulbs.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #8

I've had 4 20w Samsung LED's from M4 go out in the past 2 years on our unit. I'm not certain why I loose them prematurely.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

I like my LEDs, have they been perfect no but all bulbs are now made in Asia, this is a changing market and quality is all over the place.
We converted our Home Elevator product from using Halogen Lights in the ceiling to using LEDs in the Ceiling and we have had our problems getting a quality LEDs and Fixtures. This change has been well received by our customers, since the small home elevator cabs are offered in a 6' 8" height and a 8' height, on the 6' 8" cabs the bulbs were close enough for the homeowner to really feel the heat coming off them.

I had Halogen lights in my last SOB 5th Wheel, living and traveling in the Southeast during the hot months, you do not want anything that produces heat inside your coach, the sun does enough of that outside.
I had a number of Halogen lights fail in my last 5th Wheel shortly after we purchased it and started fulltiming in it.
I changed 37 overhead Halogen lights to LEDs and in 3 years of fulltime use I had 2 of the 37 LEDs fail.
I have been living in my Redwood fulltime for 2 years as of this weekend and I have failed two of the ceiling LEDs.
I can touch any ceiling light globe with out getting burned, the plastic lens used on the LEDs are much lighter, they screw on several turns instead or the glass globe used with the Halogen lights in my last 5er. They were a 1/8 turn twist lock and would routinely fall off during transit.
I have never had one of the screw on plastic lens on my Redwood fall off during transit.
Have the LEDs been the perfect update in lighting, no but I for one like them and can tolerate the few issues I have had over the last two years of Fulltime Life.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote