Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #21

Actually we do plan on broadcasting live feed of the rally sessions, Ken [our techie] is setting it up. Don't know the details and he doesn't hang out here on this forum much, too busy with the other.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #22

Unless the agenda has changed, the warranty/service requirements are not a topic for discussion with Redwood at the rally.

Hopefully Christian will provide some feedback here within a day or two.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #23

Response to Warranty questions

Hi Guys!
The following post comes directly from Andy Cripe in response to all of the questions about brake warranty. The clips attached are from the owners manuals of other 5th wheel manufacturers who hold to the exact same standard of maintenance (sometimes, they even use the exact same verbiage). I hope this helps!! Thank you all for your patience and support.:)

FWD:
Redwood RV stand behind our units. Our brake maintenance is set at industry standard for safety and performance consideration (see attached photos/screen shots), it should also be noted that this has been in place in the industry for many years. We evaluate each situation on a case by case basis and use our manual and warranty documents as a starting point for this evaluation. We and the industry agree with Ford with regard to the owners responsibility on items that experience ‘wear and tear’. Our overall goal is to help deliver the best RV experience possible and there are 4 parties integral to a great experience; vendors, manufacturers, dealers and owners. Together we can ensure that things happen fairly and appropriately. I thank you all for your business, support and we are honored that you have allowed us to be a part of your story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg company 1.JPG (69.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg company 2.JPG (70.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg company 3.JPG (59.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg company 4.JPG (106.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #24
Site Team

Well ~ here's my take on this ~ if the brakes must be adjusted after 200 miles, then UNLESS the dealer is closer to the factory than 200 miles, it would/should be the DEALERS responsibility to ensure that the brakes are checked and adjusted as part of his PDI before delivering to a retail customer.

If not, I really need someone from the vendor or factory to explain why not to me. If it isn't done by the dealer upon receiving the coach I don't see how or why the purchaser could or should be responsible for the brake adjustment or any damage caused by the brakes NOT being adjusted. It is already way past due ............ The other part of this is that there are so many problems industry wide (not just Redwood or Crossroads) with the drum brake systems that I'm totally amazed that every dealer doesn't pull the wheels and check the brakes before delivering a rig.

There is a reason many of us spend $3k to put disc brakes on a heavy trailer ................
Old 07-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
So you buy a Redwood, take delivery with PDI, tow it home, then tow it back immediately because you are already at 200 miles, and pay the dealer to do a "qualified" brake adjustment? Sounds like 'lawyer speak" to me to put any blame for brake problems back on the user.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #26

What a BS Response. That's absurd, they are self adjusting brakes!

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #27
Site Team

The first 200 miles is 200 miles whether by the owner or in route to the dealer. So as most dealers are more than 200 miles from the factory the dealer should do the 200 mile inspection. Can I, as an owner, inspect the brakes and meet the requirement. In many cases the dealer is considerable distance from the owner and the owner will incur significant cost and additional wait time for the this inspection. Just because other RV makers do it is not reason for Redwood to do it. Maybe Redwood could build them better the others???

One would think that the evolution of brake systems on RV's would have progressed to the point that they would not need to be checked after the first 200 miles. Glad I don't have to do that on new cars and trucks!!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #28

What ever happened to common sense? Come on Redwood...think about this policy!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Old 07-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #29

So who is to say if they were inspected or not? I can't see where it states a dealer has to inspect them. Did I miss that part? If I pull forward and manually apply my trailer brake and all wheels lock up, they work. If 1 or more do not, they don't work and need attention.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Well ~ here's my take on this ~ if the brakes must be adjusted after 200 miles, then UNLESS the dealer is closer to the factory than 200 miles, it would/should be the DEALERS responsibility to ensure that the brakes are checked and adjusted as part of his PDI before delivering to a retail customer.

If not, I really need someone from the vendor or factory to explain why not to me. If it isn't done by the dealer upon receiving the coach I don't see how or why the purchaser could or should be responsible for the brake adjustment or any damage caused by the brakes NOT being adjusted. It is already way past due ............ The other part of this is that there are so many problems industry wide (not just Redwood or Crossroads) with the drum brake systems that I'm totally amazed that every dealer doesn't pull the wheels and check the brakes before delivering a rig.

There is a reason many of us spend $3k to put disc brakes on a heavy trailer ................

Vaughn, you'v got that right..............the first option I added to my order form was for the Kodiak Disk Brakes. The second was for an upgrade in wheels.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #31

That's the best you got Andy Cripe?

The difference between Redwood and the other manufactures is - they print the manual as a recommended service guide for the owners benefit, not as a condition of warranty! I have had other manufacturers RVs and I follow the history of my friends that own other manufacturer's RVs, and Redwood is the first manufacturer that I have ever heard of that turns people away on warranty because they didn't follow the service intervals to the letter in the manual.

Heed the warning new owners, and potential buyers! ANY brake failure or bearing failure is YOUR problem, because NO ONE can literally follow the service intervals in the owners manual, nor are the terms "inspect" or "test" even defined, so it's automatically YOUR fault. Andy is going to sit back and save face with his boss and Lippert and all of his vendors by blaming it on you!

And PS - PLEASE don't ever compare yourselves with Ford! You don't have enough class! If you truly want to follow their business model, you have to walk the walk, not talk the talk.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #32

Mr. Cripe, I hope your read these posts and pay close attention to not only what is being said, but who is making the comments: loyal Redwood customers who get it. We understand that no rig is perfect and that's why you bank on quality customer service which, in the past at least, Redwood has had. We're all people who beam with pride over our units even though everyone of us has had some kinks to work out. Now I'm hearing these horror stories about warranty issues, specifically with the brake inspection, and your response is, frankly, vague and confusing, at least to me. So let me ask again, point blank: has any customer been denied repair/service work because that customer failed to have the brakes inspection and/or adjusted after 200 miles, which I understand is recommended as opposed to required? And if it is required, where in the manual does it say that?

I think it's imperative to the future of Redwood that you listen to the concerns being voiced here. Alienating the fan base is not wise.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
Hi Guys!
The following post comes directly from Andy Cripe in response to all of the questions about brake warranty. The clips attached are from the owners manuals of other 5th wheel manufacturers who hold to the exact same standard of maintenance (sometimes, they even use the exact same verbiage). I hope this helps!! Thank you all for your patience and support.

FWD:
Redwood RV stand behind our units. Our brake maintenance is set at industry standard for safety and performance consideration (see attached photos/screen shots), it should also be noted that this has been in place in the industry for many years. We evaluate each situation on a case by case basis and use our manual and warranty documents as a starting point for this evaluation. We and the industry agree with Ford with regard to the owners responsibility on items that experience ‘wear and tear’. Our overall goal is to help deliver the best RV experience possible and there are 4 parties integral to a great experience; vendors, manufacturers, dealers and owners. Together we can ensure that things happen fairly and appropriately. I thank you all for your business, support and we are honored that you have allowed us to be a part of your story.
as far as the maintenance schedule they are all the same. The B'S part comes in with your denial of a warrenty claim because they were not checked at 200 miles. In my case this trailer traveled fro Indian to southern California before I even got it. I hauled it 140 miles home and had hardly any brakes. Pulled the wheels and there was grease everywhere. The cheap ass seals you installed blew out. This happened on the way from Indiana .as after my short trip It was a fine powder already all over the shoes and the brakes were shot I changed them to disc so I did not bother with a warrenty issue. If you people want to sell your product and promote it, you may want to get back down to ground level and rethink the way you are treating your customers with brand new rigs. Start standing behind your product before you have no buyers for it. I personally will not purchase an item were the company will not stand behind a warrenty were no negligence was on the consumers part
Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #34

Hey Redwood, no dealers within 300 miles from me!

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
WOW........

They must be in real financial duress to stoop this far....

HEADS NEED TO ROLL!
How very sad if that is the case.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #36

Hey Andy Cripe

I called out dealer today to have the brakes checked since we have the 200 miles on the trailer and they told me it would be 4-5 weeks out for checks since they are busy with repairs and ours is just warranty check. I have two trips planed this month so much for counting on the dealer for the warranty checks. Not only that but service manager told me that the brakes don't need checked until at least 3000-5000 miles since they are self adjusting.

You might want to get your Dealers on the same page they sell them but know nothing about the service and warranty. You wander why we would like the parts shipped directly to us. I don't trust the dealer to get it right.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #37
Site Team

Ever seen a shell game?......keep your eyes on hands, not the shells.

There used to be a true 2 year pin to bumper warranty. Redwood used to honor everything
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #38

That's easy enough, mine have been inspected every 200 miles since I bought it, my word against theirs. Just because I took it to a dealer & it sat in their lot for 5-6 weeks gives me NO assurance that they inspected it, did they take pictures or have witnesses sign off on the inspection. I would trust anyone on this forum to do an inspection before a so called technician at a dealership. I have pulled trailers for, well forever, & never heard of such nonsense.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #39

Hey Redwood management:

Are you sensing a common theme here already?? That's not what we thought we were getting with this unit. If you continue down this path, I predict your customer base will SHRINK, not grow!!

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #40

Hate to say this but I'm going to say it anyway......... I can't see Redwood being in business & part of Crossroads within 10 years( maybe 5) if this is the way that they are going to use their "smoke & mirrors" on loyal customers like us who expect fair treatment & compassion after paying them premium dollars toward the purchase of their product. Do they honestly think that we would intentionally try to **rew them out of the cost of repairs if there was a brake issue within the first year or so but the consumer didn't get the rig into the dealer for an "inspection" until 250, 300, 500, 1000 miles? There are too many other quality high end competitors out there that would be happy to have our business.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Closed Thread