Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

I am having a problem with my 12 volt system. Rignt now it uses battery life and when the battery gets down to 25% or so only 1/2 half of the ceiling lights work. The coach is plugged into a 30 amp plug with only one AC working due to lack of 50 amp at the campground. Per techs at Lazy Days and Ocean Grove RV, I checked the power input, pole out put, shore cable, all fuzes, including all fuzed in the front compartment. All voltage was OK. I inadvertedly turned off the main power switch and turned it back on again and everything worked OK. However, it keeps occuring and I am having to "reset" the main power switch about every 8 hours. Any ideas?? Tried calling Crossroads and was on hold for 2 1/2 hours on 5 July, left 2 messages, and have not yet received a call back. Any recommendations would be helpful
Thanks
John
Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Team

By "main power switch" I assume you are referring to the main AC breaker in the coach? If so it might be a bad AC breaker, however the resetting is confusing as to why that works for a while.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

I am resetting the main battery on/off switch located below all the hydraulic cables and adjacent to the batteries
Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #4

John so your turning the battery main disconnect switch? The red one?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #5

Yes and that seems to reset something and all works well for 6 to 8 hours then I have to reset again.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Don't understand why that would make a difference. If the gage for the battery is going to 25% when plugged into shore power, then the converter is not supplying 12 volts to battery. The battery usually shows full charge when plugged into shore power.In normal operation, you should be able to have 12 volts from the converter to coach lights and etc. even when the battery switch is off. it just won't charge the batteries. Just went down to the RV, checked mine, and sure enough the lights work with the battery switch off. Maybe something wrong with the converter or a resettable breaker somewhere.

By the way, you don't remember me but we met in Sioux Falls, SD last spring at the KOA. We were there parked by you in our Montana and being Redwood wantabees we hung around until you and Sam graciously gave us a tour. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

If that is so maybe theres not enough power. Check one of your outlets to see what the voltage is. Meaning that the AC is sucking up most of the power and the converter is not able to keep up with the charging of the batteries with the all the 12 volt lights on. Have you tried to turn off most of the 12 volt lights and run the 110 lights to let the batteries charge up? Really sounds like your converter is not keeping up? Just a thought.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #8

John, just curious, but have you checked the water levels in your batteries? They might be low.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Blenhardt]Don't understand why that would make a difference. If the gage for the battery is going to 25% when plugged into shore power, then the converter is not supplying 12 volts to battery. The battery usually shows full charge when plugged into shore power.In normal operation, you should be able to have 12 volts from the converter to coach lights and etc. even when the battery switch is off. it just won't charge the batteries. Just went down to the RV, checked mine, and sure enough the lights work with the battery switch off. Maybe something wrong with the converter or a resettable breaker somewhere.

Just check mine and it is the same as your’s. So that means that it runs off the inverter when plug into shore power. I have 12v batteries that are "maintenance free" so you cant check the water level. Have you checked you fuse panels?

Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Folks we checked all fuze panels, fuzes, breakers, ran continuity test on shore power cable, etc. I am kinda thinking that Bruce might have a point that the when the single AC is running at full blast there is not enough juice to support battery charge. That however brings up another thought as to why that would occur as I have had this coach in my driveway with only 110V for normal cleaning etc and the battery charged and all other stuff (did not turn on any AC) worked fine. Also wondering if converter is going bad and how in the hell do I check that??
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #11

John, I don't know what type your Redwood is; however, on our RL the converter fuses are located in "Dad's Garage" next to the front door. May be worth a check and replace the fuses. Other than that, believe that your converter might be bad.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Team

John, will your 12 volt lights and etc. work when the red battery switch is off? If not, I too suspect the converter. Hummm, how to check it? Not sure but if you could get to it could you check the 12 volt output wherever that is?? Be careful in there. I have never had to check one.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #13

Right now all batteries are dead, however TVs fans etc are working and refrigerator appears to be working. Still on 30 amp service. Am not running AC and with the exception of a TV everything else is off. I have checked all fuzes, switches, breakers, and every thing in between and have no idea how to fix this. I believe the convertor is going or has gone bad. Anyone have an after hour phone for Redwood/Crossroads Service?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Site Team

John,

I had a similar problem last fall when I was camping is a state park with bad power. I ended up buying a 12 gauge extension cord and a good battery charger. I ran the extension cord to another power pole and plugged in the battery charger to charge the batteries.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

Thanks Dave I will give that a try, appreciate the quick response and idea.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
Thanks Dave I will give that a try, appreciate the quick response and idea.
Good luck John, Some of these campgrounds don't have enough amperage to handle all the a/c units. Tell Sam I said hi and I sure look forward to seeing you folks (and critters) again.

Happy Trails my friend

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #17

John,

In one of your replies you said you checked the voltage at the post and at the main fuse panel. What were those voltages? Did you check them both with the Air Conditioner ON and with it OFF? Try that and report these voltages. Someone suggested that the Air Conditioner might be "sucking up" all the power when it is on. These voltages should be able to tell us if that is true.

You also said that things went back to normal when you turned off the battery switch then turned it back on. That makes me wonder if there isn't a loose wire some place. Have you tried to tighten all the screws everywhere? Especially in the main panel box, the converter, and on the battery lines?

These kind of problems can drive even an expert technician crazy...

Good luck, Keith

KWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #18

Keith, we have gone from bad to worse, Resetting the main battery on/off switch no longer solves anything. Batteries are dead. Coach is working on AC and I have turned everything off except a TV hoping batteries will charge up by morning. I am going to buy a battery charger and charge the batteries direct so I can close up (awnings, slides, leveling system, etc none of which work at present even with coach on 30 AMP) and then find a dealer who will fix it. Somewhere in this process I am going to call Crossroads service and hope they can help. Pretty damn frustrating at this point.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #19

Keep your chin up and relax for the evening. Tomorrow is another day and you'll get it solved. Best of luck. Vic
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Site Team

John, you can also charge the batteries with your diesel. So worst case, plug into your truck and you should be able to slide in the slides.

When this happened to me I had to plug into my truck to get enough power to get the generator started.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny