Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

I know this was previously discussed but I have slept since then... Sorry!

We are contemplating trading in our 2012 36FB (with std electric trailer brakes)for a 2013 Redwoodthat happens to have disc brakes (in addition toa bunch of other desirable options).

What kind of integrated brake controller compatibility issues (if any?)should I anticipate with my 2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax.

Please advise

Thanks!
balorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #2

We had no issues with the integrated controller on our 2012 GMC one ton, diesel, dual rear wheel, 4x4 and our 2013 36RL with hydraulic assisted disc brakes. The dealer told us there might be an issue, but the 2 work fine together
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

My RL had no brakes, but it turns out that the Carlyle disk brake pump had failed. After I replaced it and re-bled, all was fine. GMCs require the Carlyle HBA-CAM module to use the integrated brake controller, but Redwood disk brake option includes it. This is an important option.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMar

We had no issues with the integrated controller on our 2012 GMC one ton, diesel, dual rear wheel, 4x4 and our 2013 36RL with hydraulic assisted disc brakes. The dealer told us there might be an issue, but the 2 work fine together

I just purchased the identical truck except its a 2013 Silverado, the truck has arrived but I made an arrangement with my dealer that I don't want it before April 1, Canadian weather.I do have a few questions about the integrated controller though:
1) They told me the integrated controller is NOT compatible with trailer disk brakes, clearly this is not what you are experiencing?
2) What type of controller is it? I am aware of 2 types: Timed and Proportional. If your answer is Timed, then perhaps that is why they claim is is not compatible. Based on the documentation a Proportional controller is superior and I believe desirable.
Thanks!
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

The integrated controller is not compatible without that HBA-CAM module. It basically "simulates" an electric/magnetic brake system to "wake up" the controller and sense the trailer brakes when you plug the pigtail in. The DIC will indicate this for you when you do.As I said, Redwood includes it in their disk brake option and it works perfectly. Set the gain on the GMC for 6.5 and then adjust from there.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
The integrated controller is not compatible without that HBA-CAM module. It basically "simulates" an electric/magnetic brake system to "wake up" the controller and sense the trailer brakes when you plug the pigtail in. The DIC will indicate this for you when you do.As I said, Redwood includes it in their disk brake option and it works perfectly. Set the gain on the GMC for 6.5 and then adjust from there.
Thanks for responding... but I am confused because SueMar is suggesting that their controller worked? Hopefully they can respond.

5th_Time - so I need to buy this HBA-CAM module, right? From what I can tell, it is priced over $100. Why not buy an after market Proportional controller which is not much more that $100 and replace theGM built-in controller. That way we havea device that is fully compatible with disk brakes. What am I missing?
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #7

You're missing my statement that Redwood includes that module on any model with disk brakes. Besides, do you want another thing hanging under the dash and to pay for the additional unit & installation? Factory controller is the way to go.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Team

The Fords must be different because I haven't had any issues with my disk brakes.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
par

Yes, I missed that in your previous post, so there is no need to buy it.
Would anybody out there know if the integrated brake controller in a 2013 Silveradodually is Timed or Proportonal? Proportional controllers react to the braking immediately and apply a braking force proportional to the truck's braking which ends up being much safer. Check the following http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=425777for more info.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #10

Hi Par:
Sorry not to answer sooner but we were on the road and just settled in at our new location. I think 5th time has answered your question -- RW has whatever is needed to make it compatible. We havethe standard factory-installed controller provided by GMC. We bought our truck off the lot, didn't special order it. Lazydays warned us when we ordered our RW that we might have a problem with the disc brakes and our controller -- not the case at all. If you want to discuss further, my husband's email is easymarty@hotmail.com.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #11

Now don't quote me, but I don't think it's either timed or proportional. It's tied directly into the on-board computer that controls just about everything else in the truck, so the control signal knows exactly what the truck is doing and supplies the proper signal to the RW. And yes for the Disc Brakes requires the interface unit, which RW supplies with all units with Disc Brakes. It's not really needed with some brands, but doesn't hurt anything either. As far as the trucks are concerned they think they are activating normal electric brakes. But after putting Disc on our previous Montana, the Disc became a required option for us, as we wouldn't have a unit without them now. The stopping ability of the Disc is so much better than the electric drums that have been around since the stone age, will not quite that long, but you get the point.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote