Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

RW38RL Slide in slide water/clothes washer leak fix

Two weeks ago we discovered a small leak under the bed. It was from the pipes feeding the clothes washer.

When the slide in slide was retracted, it would catch on the PEX to vinyl hose connection that Redwood installed with a straight connector. Also discovered that Redwood used the same PEX connectors for both the PEX AND the vinyl hose.

Easy to fix. We got approval right away from Redwoods Service department and they allowed us to share this information.

1. We removed the straight connector and replaced it with a 90 degrees PEX to pipe thread and pipe thread to barb fitting for the vinyl.

2. Replaced the two other straight vinyl connectors from wrongly installed PEX connectors to what should have been barb to start with.

See videos - before and after. Hope this helps someone with slide in slide and clothes washer.

Total cost excluding our own work is less than 50 bucks so well spent money.

BEFORE:
Video here

AFTER:
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Traveling

Thanks SO MUCH for posting this great information! I worry about this on ours and now I think I will check it again.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

The leak itself before fixed

http://youtu.be/zyaQHq2EvIc
Old 10-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Several of us have had issues with either kinked or leaking water lines under the bed. Thanks for posting the video to help bring some awareness to this problem.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #5

leaks

I have also had water leaks under bed also found water filter was leaking and it never had a filter put in when new 5 mounts later no wrench to take filter out no paper work on it to find filter or wrench must not put it in when new
ebwtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #6

That is a fantastic fix Basil! And now you are published!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

No it is not a fantastic fix, it's the way a plumber would have done it to start with ;-)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
No it is not a fantastic fix, it's the way a plumber would have done it to start with ;-)
I don't think RV manufacturers use plumbers, electricians, HVAC guys, etc. There is nothing standard about the way an RV is assembled or the components used as compared to a structure. Let's use the electrical outlets as an example...........
Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #9

AA

I need to change both recepts on the island. Do the covers just snap off to get to the guts underneath?

Thanks, Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #10

Jim, the covers are on the back, and yes, they just snap off. The wires are just pressed into a set of blades like telephone boards. You can add about one additional romex to the outlet. Any more than that and you might have to go to a standard type outlet and junction box, or just a remote junction box.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
Traveling

We are doing this fix today; BasilFawlty, it looks like you also replaced some of the vinyl line too... We took the bed apart, glad we did, thanks to you. Not leaking yet, but we have the SAME chewed up board where it scoots under the slide, AND very kinked hoses too. I HIGHLY encourage everyone to check theirs, even if you DON'T have slide in a slide, because this is a plain old bedroom slide issue, not slide in a slide! Just a matter of time before we had wet carpet. Wow, they need to change this if they haven't already. Thanks BasilFawlty for the great fix!!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #12

Thanks for your kind words.

I have sent the movie to Terry at Crossroads and he have shared the info with the production people.

Easy fix - if not it will end bad sooner or later.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
Traveling

Well dude, you saved our carpet and huge frustration because it was just a question of WHEN not IF it would pull loose! Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #14

This was one of the first things I checked in our PDI and had the dealer fix. I had read of the leaks and did not want our Carpet all wet. I check it every time we setup from a travel. I do not want the mess that others have had. so far we have had no issues. We us our washer and dryer a lot.