Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Site Team

For Ford Owners

If you have a 2012 or newer Ford Super Duty, you might want to swing by a dealer and maybe have them do some service work and while it's there ask them to check for updates. Mine was in for service yesterday and also some issues with the Sync system and Nav. The Service Advisor I deal with, who I've become friendly with, mentioned that while they had it they also did a few updates to the body and engine controller.

Not sure what the update was but the truck feels like it gained about 30 horsepower and the throttle response is tremendous. Can't wait to have the coach hooked on this weekend and see .....

As an aside, I'll mention that it never hurts to have a good relationship with your dealer if possible. I spent twenty years in the car business before starting my own business. Most of that time I was either a parts or service manager. What most people don't realize is that the service manager has a tremendous amount of leeway in authorizing a warranty issue when the unit is out of factory warranty. What isn't published is that this is discretionary. In other words, if they've never seen you before and you want something covered, lots of luck. If you're a regular customer, get your service work done there, and have a history with the dealer, that's another story.

My last truck , a GMC, got a new transmission at 75k miles and I paid labor. I had done all my service work including brakes with them and knew the service mgr well.

And to answer the inevitable question - no, the cost wasn't more than the guy down the street who works on everything. Case in point, I have yet to pay more than $89.95 for a diesel full service oil change at my Ford dealer.

Just food for thought ........
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

Agree....
honey and vinegar and all those old sayings do apply

Having bought 6 or so vehicles from the same salesmen over the years also has it's merits... "Here, take this new one for a weekend, just don't put over 500 miles on it" etc..., etc...

So far, my only complaint with our two newer 13's has been the navigation STINKS
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #3

The problems with the Ford navigation are an easy fix with the sync system. Unfortunately every time I try to do the update it fails. I brought my 2014 F350 in for an oil change and told them what was happening with the nav system. They cleared the memory did the updates and the system works perfectly now. I always use the dealer for my service. He does my company trucks and knows me. I always get preferential treatment and all the updates get done.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

Unfortunately for those of us who fulltime...we have no "home base" to establish a relationship with!! With 20K miles on my truck, I've been to a different Ford dealer for ALL of my routine servicing, fortunately all of them have been very helpful.
As to price for diesel oil change, most have been under $100 except for one, they charged me $129!!! I won't make that mistake again!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Have to agree with foxfire. The changes to the Sync and Nav since the upgrades seem major. Even some of the screens are different.
Now as long as she doesn't send me down another one lane road with the coach on ........

We keep an iPad with the Rand McNally GPS on at all times. That one has the restrictions plugged into it. Has saved our tail more than once.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #6

I feel your pain.

Just like foreign competition finally drove American auto companies to improve their "awareness" about quality and reliability, it's a shame that that lesson didn't extend to the NAV systems American truck companies are putting into their HD trucks.

It's must be obvious to truck manufacturers that these 1-ton, dual wheel diesels are being purchased for towing "something". After all, they're always towing in their TV commercials. The NAV in my '12 GMC ($2,200 option) thinks I'm driving a compact car. It's amazing that we have to go to the aftermarket to get a $300 NAV system that can be programed to avoid parkways and low clearance situations.

The truck companies purchase these systems from the best NAV systems manufacturers in the business. How about taking a lesson from the R-Ms and TomToms and put a towing mode or RV mode into the overpriced NAVs they offer on these vehicles built for towing - so we don't also have to cross-check with maps & old fashioned "trip-tiks"?

I end up paying about $280 every 18 months to update my NAV hoping for something more than a street update, but for road selection, my unit is still "Like A Rock"...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #7

5th Time: Although my 2014 Chevy 3500 HD came with a built in no cost nav system with a large screen, I agree with you. Bought a Garmin RV 760 which sits above the mostly useless (for towing) GM nav.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

I am going to buy or order a 2015 King Ranch F350 in June and bought the Good Sam Rand McNally GPS ahead of time knowing the limits of the factory GPS's. One big thing to me is they will not allow you to make changes while driving.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
..... One big thing to me is they will not allow you to make changes while driving.
Jay D.
There are 3rd party things like the lockpick that allow you to get around that and add other cameras -
and will even let you watch videos while driving down the road if you want
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

That's nice to know.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote