Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

http://shop.smartrvproducts.com/main.sc

It touts the ability to help your fridge cool more efficiently. We have had issues with cooling so we're looking for feedback on the products value.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

Looks interesting - nothing available for ours yet it looks like.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

That has always been a problem with RV fridges. They do not circulate the air like a residential fridge does. You can buy the cheap battery operated ones that don't look like they would circulate enough air. Could be very interesting.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

I ordered a res fridge in our 38gk because of all the issues with the absorption fridges (and I've had all kinds ) Notsocolds, Domestic terrors, etc...

but with my sob I installed a four computer fan housing in the outside slide vent to pulll the heat out of the top --- got it from here http://www.allelectronics.com for $19.95 iirc

and this inside wired to the fridges lite http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Refrigerator-Fan-w-ON-OFF-switch-to-INCREASE-cooling-standard-model-/180999049305?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item2a24625059&vxp=mtr

helped some, but it is what it is...

If you are in the neighborhood - pulled them both out and have them stored in my garage !!!

johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

One of the major problems with the absorbtion refrigerator is getting the heat out of the back of the refrigerator, not the inside. Since it has no compressor or moving parts it depends on heat and gravity to move the ammonia mixture through the cooling coils to remove the heat from the refrigerator. This heat from the propane burner or electric element, and the heat from the cooling coils has to be circulated from the back of the refrigerator. That is why fans are mounted behind it. The fans from Smart RV products mount inside the refrigerator. They may help a little by circulating the air inside, but your first concern should be to make sure that the heat build up on the back side of the frig is getting moved out.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Isn't the link below for our Fridges?

http://shop.smartrvproducts.com/Norc...10007Nor12.htm

I think this might be a handy option and worth adding. Would love to see one in person but I imagine it could help tremendously. Since I fulltime in mine there's nothing worse than having to defrost the fridge. Already had to take a hair dryer to the ice maker as some water froze up the mechanism. Can't seem to keep the freezer cold enough without causing the fridge to freeze...
Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Isn't the link below for our Fridges?

http://shop.smartrvproducts.com/Norc...10007Nor12.htm

I think this might be a handy option and worth adding. Would love to see one in person but I imagine it could help tremendously. Since I fulltime in mine there's nothing worse than having to defrost the fridge. Already had to take a hair dryer to the ice maker as some water froze up the mechanism. Can't seem to keep the freezer cold enough without causing the fridge to freeze...
Ah maybe so - I just the "Coming Soon" and figured it wasn't ready, but maybe that just means the picture is coming soon.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

I just received my Norcold 1200 unit from Smart RV Products on Friday. I plan to install it over the Thanksgiving holidays and should be able to post a review next week. Happy Turkey Day Redwooders!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
lwg

Got mine as well. Probably be about 2 weeks before I install it. Let me know how it goes!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

During the Thanksgiving weekend, I found a little extra time to install the Norcold 1200 series 'fridge fix' from Smart RV Products. http://shop.smartrvproducts.com/main.sc
It took about 90 minutes for the installation but well worth the time and effort. The instructions were specific to the Norcold model and walked me through the easy installation without question. The unit adds three small 12v fans to the top of the fridge which vigerously circulate the air over the cooling fins in the back top of the unit. The 'fridge fix' has an independent switch that can be turned on while using the fridge and off when it's in storage or not being used. The only challenge was getting to the 12v connection on the back of the fridge. You have to push a wire through the drip hose in the inside back of the fridge until it appears at the other end of the hose and then it's connected to the 12v power source. I found that adding a little WD40 to the wire made the job move along much easier.
We are very happy with the results. The air movement gives you a more even cooling in the fridge as well as dryer air which reduces any need to defrost in the non freezer area of the fridge. A nifty idea!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
lwg

I also got mine installed on Saturday. First thing I noticed is that both the fridge and freezer are colder. Before the fridge fix I had the temp setting at 8 and it maintained just above freezing in the fridge and about 10-15 in the freezer. After installing the fix I now have it set to 6 and the fridge is the same temp however the freezer is closer to 0. Also of note, I put both thermometers in the fridge, one on the top rack and one on the bottom rack and the temp variation was about 2-3 degrees. Overall I thing this was a good investment at this point.

Also when installing if you tap into the hot wire just to the left of the drain catch you never have to manually turn off the fans after you turn off the fridge. It turns off with the unit.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #12

I just wanted to thank you gentlemen for the kind words. We work VERY hard to making these devices, and it warms our heart when we hear that our device has helped someone.

I would like to let the folks on the forum know that I am always available to answer questions. Our expertise is exclusively the RV refrigerator, and making it function properly. Half of the battle we have is fighting bad information on how to "fix" the problems that plague gas absorption refrigerators. A great deal of the information we find in online forums is incorrect. Even a recent magazine article had suggestions on how to keep your refrigerator ice free that we're not effective.

One of the major problems with the Norcold 1200 series that has never been addressed is the design of the drip tray and its close proximity to the cooling fins. We quickly figured out that the tray was stopping the cooled air as it fell from the cooling fins. In effect, the air was "pooling" in the drip tray, or impeding the almost nonexistent airflow in the fridge. One of the key elements of our Norcold 1200 fix kit is the new modified drip tray. It drastically improves the airflow inside the unit...

If you have issues with your refrigerator staying cool inside, or freezing up, shoot me an email, maybe I can help - mikeb@smartrvproducts.com
SmartRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
lwg

Just to update, had to lower my fridge temp from 6 to 5 because it was still too cold. The fans do an amazing job of circulating the air and really cooling things down.

I think Smart RV Products is right on the money with this one!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartRV View Post
I just wanted to thank you gentlemen for the kind words. We work VERY hard to making these devices, and it warms our heart when we hear that our device has helped someone.

I would like to let the folks on the forum know that I am always available to answer questions. Our expertise is exclusively the RV refrigerator, and making it function properly. Half of the battle we have is fighting bad information on how to "fix" the problems that plague gas absorption refrigerators. A great deal of the information we find in online forums is incorrect. Even a recent magazine article had suggestions on how to keep your refrigerator ice free that we're not effective.

One of the major problems with the Norcold 1200 series that has never been addressed is the design of the drip tray and its close proximity to the cooling fins. We quickly figured out that the tray was stopping the cooled air as it fell from the cooling fins. In effect, the air was "pooling" in the drip tray, or impeding the almost nonexistent airflow in the fridge. One of the key elements of our Norcold 1200 fix kit is the new modified drip tray. It drastically improves the airflow inside the unit...

If you have issues with your refrigerator staying cool inside, or freezing up, shoot me an email, maybe I can help - mikeb@smartrvproducts.com
Mike
Ours is still running great! I think we have had your prototype for about 6 or 8 months now, right? Are you still in NJ or have you moved on? Congrats on getting your fix on the market!!! If you notice, our picture was taken as we left Triple Brook
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #15

Hi there!

Hi Tim! My goodness it is certainly a small world!

So much has changed since you left, but you are indeed correct, your unit was the first one we built for the RM1350, since then we have branched out a little :-)

Where are you guys now? I hope you are staying warm if you are in Denver! Tell the Mrs. we say hello. Wish you guys were back around the campfire!

Be good,--Mike
Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #16

You can find these fans on EBAY for about $15. and they come with wireing digrams
puller f350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by puller f350 View Post
You can find these fans on EBAY for about $15. and they come with wireing digrams

Great 1st post... What exactly are you referring to? CPU Fans? Or a complete kit? Guessing the former...
Old 12-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Great 1st post... What exactly are you referring to? CPU Fans? Or a complete kit? Guessing the former...
We are not here to advertise, or as a marketing tool…

We are a small family run business that has patented (Multiple patents) a system that prevents RV refrigerators from accumulating ice on the cooling fans, and circulates the air within the cooling area roughly 15 times per minute…

Most of our customers have previously installed one of the devices found on eBay… They last for approximately four months due to the bearing utilized within the fan. Our devices use the highest quality components available on the market, and should last a lifetime of your RV.

The original poster of this thread bought and installed one of our systems, and shared his experience. Our intention is to help people that have problems with their RV refrigerators. There is so much miss information on the RV forums regarding refrigerators, but it's not even funny.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #19

Three of the posters on this thread have installed our device. I want to personally thank each and everyone of you for sharing your experience and feedback regarding the system. It means a lot to us, thank you!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
lwg

Mike,
My post wasn't directed at you. It was the other guy who was hinting that one could put together this kit for $15 from eBay. I purchased and installed your product and am a big fan (pardon the pun). I think the gas absorbtion fridges need something like this to help them function better. I know my last RV with the Dometic 6 Cu Ft fridge had similar issues.