Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 02:19 AM   #1

Residential Refrigerator Tilting, Your Suggestions Please

Hello Everyone,

The wife and I just completed our 3500 mile trek around the Western United States seeing the Best America has to offer. The Redwood performed beautifully with one exception! we noticed at some point on the final leg home the Refrigerator tilted forward and would not reset into it's original position without unbolting the anchor bolds that keep the unit stationary. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what became your FIX. I have some ideas but didn't want to re-create the wheel if it's not necessary.

By the way for those of you following our thread on batteries and inverters keeping the residential refrigerator cold while travel, the inverter and trickle charge from the truck was indeed enough to keep everything cold.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

JellyStonePark,

I assume you mean that the top of your fridge is tilting forward until it wedges in the slide top??

There have been discussions here on the residential fridge pitching/tilting while underway. I don't have a residential so I haven't been paying close attention but I recall a dealer came up with a fix and I believe Redwood has now adopted this method in installing the residentials on the new coaches.

I'm sure someone on here will expound on the fix.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Traveling

Redwood now installs <standard> a short piece of tube steel at the rear of the fridge extending out over the top. Simple fix, works great. I bet if you took it in for service and asked them to do it per Redwood, it would get done. I think they have had enough warranty claims now to understand that it's a necessary fix. That residential fridge is NOT intended to bang around like that all the time. I don't expect it will put up with it for long before breaking down!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #4

Yes, you are right I did see the small metal piece you are referring to, however the piece was too small to stop the tilting. I used that same piece today cutting a 1.5in x 2ft piece of board that I slid into that metal bracket I cut the board purposely to fit the gape between the top of the refrigrator and the bottom of the shelf above it. Then I used one carriage bolt to hold the new board in place. Tried tilting the refrig forward and it would not budge.

One other fix related to this was adding washers to the anchor bolds and sleeves at the front corners of the refrig. Redwood only used the sleeves against wood which crushes over time. The washers seem to add a great surface for the sleeves when tighten.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

An older post but new same issue for us. This has happened twice now, and interesting both times since the MorRyde IS install. Not blaming the IS; at least for now. We do have the metal bracket as noted in the previous posts. I'll try the wood filler that JellystonePark did. Any other fixes by anyone that has had this problem?
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

Don't know if it really helps, but we split a section of a Large Pool Noodle and stick it on the edge of the Island so that the left door of the fridge presses against it. We've put over 35K miles on and no movement of the fridge.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #7

I added 4 drawer handles two on each side into the trim area that is about 1.5" thick. We then bought some sleeping bag straps that have the plastic clips. We we travel this has kept the doors closed and fridge from moving or tilting forward. One strap on top and one near the top of the freezer.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have installed the wood wedged between the top of the fridge and the bottom of the steel bracket. With this secured in place, even if the fridge tips slightly, it can return. What was happening on ours, it would tip forward beyond the end of the steel bracket and get caught with the bracket behind the fridge. Will also add the half pool tube on the counter edge while traveling.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote