Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

How do we take off our halogen light covers?

We have just been in our new 2014 Redwood36rl for nine days! We are loving it!
One of our halogen lights is out...never noticed at the dealer's. How do we take that cover off? Our covers seem extremely tight and we don't want to break them.
Also, if we replace these with leds, which leds give a similar strength and colour?
Thanks for your help in advance!
EandLTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

They just rotate counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn. The bulbs are a 2 -pin halogen that can be replaced with a disk type LED, but I haven't done any yet.

Plenty of folks here can give you the part number and color temperature.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
lwg

The 2014's don't remove as easily as the earlier ones. They are friction fit. You have to grab it and force it down. Watch your eyes as sometimes it does chip the backside of the glass. Seems like there's a better way to attach these guys...
Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Don't know about the '14's our 2013 lens covers twist off, as mentioned before you twist then counter clockwise about a quarter turn and they will come off.

As for LED's, there are several sources, I've replaced a few and I've purchased them from M4 Products. Remember, there are two different size fixtures on the Redwood, the larger ones [20 watt] are typically in the ceiling, the smaller ones [10 watt] in the slides, the larger LED's will not fit in the small receptacles. They come in 3 different light colors; cool, natural and warm. To me the warm white is the closest to the halogen color.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

Forgot to mention, I like the Elite series LED's from M4.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #6

Chuck,
Are the Elites significantly brighter? Does the color stay warm?

I tried some "overseas" ebay ones for the closet on a whim. Took them back out - they were awful. Some were blue, some were bright white, all labeled as warm. Gave them to my daughter for her tent trailer.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
lwg

Personally I don't like the M4 LEDs. Tried some and found their brightest LEDs off in color and not as bright as my 1/10 the price eBay versions.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

who was your ebay supplier? I tried to get some and after 3 months they just sent a refund.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Chuck,
Are the Elites significantly brighter? Does the color stay warm?

I tried some "overseas" ebay ones for the closet on a whim. Took them back out - they were awful. Some were blue, some were bright white, all labeled as warm. Gave them to my daughter for her tent trailer.
First... I haven't found LED's that are exactly like the incandescent bulbs but the M4 Warm White are the closest I've found. They don't seem as bright to me so I use the cool or natural where I want bright light like the bathroom, inside the kitchen slide, etc.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #10

Halogen lamps are normally around 2700 degrees kelvin (yellow)
Warm white is 2700-3000 degrees kelvin (yellow)
Cool white is 4100-4500 degrees kelvin (light blue)
Natural white is 4700-5200 degrees kelvin (blue-purple)
The higher the kelvin temperature goes from yellow to blue then purple
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #11

When our dealer replaced all the halogens in our Redwood as part of the purchase of the unit he used "cool white" LED's on the ceiling and a warmer white on the slides and the lights above the sofa and above the entertainment center. It works well for us.

I have had a couple of these LED's come out of their "sockets" and sit in the inside of the glass cover, when I put them back I'm bending the wires slightly to give them some friction, hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #12

I had ordered the standard M4 less (cool white) but had issues with the color between the two sizes. M4 admitted they had change the color and did not purge their stock of the older color so they were sending out miss-matched leds. I eventually went with their upgraded led from Samsung. I'm very pleased with the color and brightness of these LEDs. The color is close to the halogens. Here are the M4 numbers:

G4-18-5630-SIDE-NW Natural White Elite Series G4 / T3 Samsung 5630 LEDs Side Pins to replace 20w Halogen

G4-9-5630-SIDE-NW Natural White Elite Series G4 / T3 Samsung 5630 LEDs Side Pins to replace 10w Halogen
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #13

EandLTeam - I doubt your LED build is burn't out this early. I would check the bulb pins to make sure they are inserted properly. Next I would pull down the socket and check the wiring connections. Lastly if you do need to replace a LED on a new unit I would contact Redwood/Crossroads and have them send out a replacement under warranty.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #14

Im very happy with my M4 warm whites.

Mark
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #15

Replacing lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder View Post
EandLTeam - I doubt your LED build is burn't out this early. I would check the bulb pins to make sure they are inserted properly. Next I would pull down the socket and check the wiring connections. Lastly if you do need to replace a LED on a new unit I would contact Redwood/Crossroads and have them send out a replacement under warranty.
Our 2014 36rl was manufactured the end of May 2013, so it still had the halogen lights and it was one of them that was out. When my husband finally got the cover off, it just took him slightly touching it and it worked. So, I'm sure they will all work for awhile. We just want the best leds for colour and brightness we can find when we finally do replace the halogens.
We have heard of either low light or very blue, cool light from leds and want to make sure we get a nice bright, warm light like the halogens.
Thanks for your responses.
EandLTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandLTeam View Post
Our 2014 36rl was manufactured the end of May 2013, so it still had the halogen lights and it was one of them that was out. When my husband finally got the cover off, it just took him slightly touching it and it worked. So, I'm sure they will all work for awhile. We just want the best leds for colour and brightness we can find when we finally do replace the halogens.
We have heard of either low light or very blue, cool light from leds and want to make sure we get a nice bright, warm light like the halogens.
Try one or two from different sources to see which work best for you, when you find the one you like best you can then order from them.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandLTeam View Post

I have found that the halogen lamp filiments often open up. But, a sharp wrap with the back of your hand on the light cover often will produce enough vibration to cause filiment to weld the open ends back together. Do this while the circuit is turned on. I have frequently done this and have gotten weeks of additional service out of the lamps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote