Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

I have a 36RL and have always used a fixed pressureinline water regulator on my fresh water hose. Water pressure in the RV seems to be quite low. An adjustible water pressure regulator seems to be an answer to my problem. Does anyone know the maximum SAFE water pressure at the water hydrant?
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

My understanding is the max you want to put into the rig is 50 to 60 Lbs
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

I have found that the in line filter can affect your pressure also. It seems like if I install a fine mesh filter, it dereases my pressure
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #4

Agreed, the combination of the expensive, adjustable pressure regulator I bought plus the in-line water filter slowed my shower to a trickle. Took it back out and all is well. Optimal pressure is 50 to 60psi, but the Redwood is rated to 80psi.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Team

We found the oxygenics shower head that Camping World sells for $50 works best with low water pressure, especially when using the water pump.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Dave,Will the hose from the Redwood shower head fit on the Oxygenics head. As I understand it, the Oxygenics comes with a plastic hose. I would like to put the metal hose that comes with the RW on the Oxygenics head????
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
Dave,Will the hose from the Redwood shower head fit on the Oxygenics head. As I understand it, the Oxygenics comes with a plastic hose. I would like to put the metal hose that comes with the RW on the Oxygenics head????
Bruce, I'm not sure. I just used the plastic hose that came with the shower head. There's a World of difference between the stock shower head the new one.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #8

I took my regulator off because with the factory filter and the in line filter I have just about the right amount of pressure. Filters will effect the pressure. Had numerous leaks on my Open Range and while at the factory they pressure checked it at 110 PSI which is the PSI they use on the line when thery build them. I wouldn't recommend running 110 PSI but I don't think you should have any problems at 60 to 70 PSI.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99
I took my regulator off because with the factory filter and the in line filter I have just about the right amount of pressure. Filters will effect the pressure. Had numerous leaks on my Open Range and while at the factory they pressure checked it at 110 PSI which is the PSI they use on the line when thery build them. I wouldn't recommend running 110 PSI but I don't think you should have any problems at 60 to 70 PSI.

I think there may be a misunderstandingbetween pressure and flow (volumn). A filter will decrease the water flow (volumn of water) but will not decrease the pressure. You can have a very low water flow and still have very high pressure. It is not a good idea to remove the pressure requlator. High pressure is what causes damage to the plumbing system. One way to look at it is pressure builds when the valve is turned off and flow (volumn)builds when the valve is turned on.
Sailorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Bruce, I'm not sure. I just used the plastic hose that came with the shower head. There's a World of difference between the stock shower head the new one.

I used the existing hose when I replaced the shower head with the Oxygenics. It fit like a glove!Edited by: Grandpa
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #11

When we were at the factory in Dec. I asked about this very subject. I had one of the high priced adjustable regulators and we weren't happy with the amount of water we got anywhere. The Head Tech said we really didn't need a regulator, that the trailers are tested at 110 lbs.and we would never find pressure that would exceed that. We haven't used one since, pressure and flow are great with no adverse effects. I always look for leaks when I set up.
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:

I used the existing hose when I replaced the shower head with the Oxygenics. It fit like a glove!

X2.

Does anyone know if there is a special filter the factory uses when setting up the units...ie what dotheyrecommend for replacement filters?
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

When I think about it, I can't remember seeing or hearing of anyone going to a campground and having their unit damaged due to high pressure. If a campground had a problem with extreme pressure, virtually all the units at the campground would be damaged in short order. Inconceivable.

There is a difference between pressure and volume, but the proof is at the sink and shower head. We had unacceptably low volume once we added that adjustable regulator for our first outing. I was about to dial Redwood when it dawned on me that the only thing I added to the water system was that regulator. Removing it brought aveything back to normal.

Now, I put a pressure guage on the spiggot to verify when we arrive. Almost everycampground we've visited have been55-60psi. I never use a regulator now.Still think it makes sense to shut water off when you're away, just in case you lose a clamp or hose inside the unit.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #14

Agree, Oxygenics will fit the OEM hose without a problem.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time

When I think about it, I can't remember seeing or hearing of anyone going to a campground and having their unit damaged due to high pressure. If a campground had a problem with extreme pressure, virtually all the units at the campground would be damaged in short order. Inconceivable.

There is a difference between pressure and volume, but the proof is at the sink and shower head. We had unacceptably low volume once we added that adjustable regulator for our first outing. I was about to dial Redwood when it dawned on me that the only thing I added to the water system was that regulator. Removing it brought aveything back to normal.

Now, I put a pressure guage on the spiggot to verify when we arrive. Almost everycampground we've visited have been55-60psi. I never use a regulator now.Still think it makes sense to shut water off when you're away, just in case you lose a clamp or hose inside the unit.
Mike I agree! I use the regulator more for the supply line than I do the internal water lines. The supply lines seem to be the most fragile. I have used my adjustable regulator when I arrive to verify if the park has enough water pressure. Many times I've found low water pressure.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #16

After the first couple of years out, I tossed the regulator and inline filter. Never used them again.

This time we did get the water filtration from the factor, I figured to keep the gravel out of my ice cubes
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #17

Ha Ha, so true

Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce
Terry Cooper what is your professional opinion on the water pressuure regulator and filter question?
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #19

Does anyone know if there is a special filter the factory uses when setting up the units...ie what do they recommend for replacement filters? Thank you.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #20

High water pressure will harm the water faucets and water valves in your trailer. This includes the sink faucets, shower faucet, toilet valve, ice maker valve, dishwasher valve, and washing machine valves.

Building code for residential houses requires a water pressure regulator.

When the factory does a water pressure test on your trailer it is only for a very short duration.

The water pressure at a camp site can change throughout the day and different days of the week. It may not be a good idea to trust the reading you get when you test it before connecting.

The pressure regulators the trailer supply stores sell have a very small opening and will reduce your water flow. I recommend buying a regulator at a plumbing supply store. These have large openings and are able to regulate the pressure without reducing the water flow.
Sailorman is offline   Reply With Quote