Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #21

Ha Ha, if only I had somebody to share the driving.

Although Judi did take the eyesight test when we were home and might take the multiple guess test to get her learners the next time we are home.

I remember what it was like teaching kids to drive, not sure about teaching DW how to drive a RW. Reversing even in a straight line - not happening.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #22

The other half will pull on the Interstates etc. but not in towns. When we decided to go full time and got the F/L I told her she didn't have to drive all the time but she would have to be able to handle it if necessary. After she did some practice in the school parking lot she felt comfortable in the truck. Later we were heading to the western part of the state with the camper .We were on the interstate and traffic wasn't too heavy and the weather good so I asked her if she wanted to give it a try. Pulled off switched drivers and she headed down the road. Made it about 2 miles when we see a sign "Road construction next 25 miles. She panicked a little and asked what do I do. I said you're over there so I guess you have to drive. There were concrete dividers and down to one lane some times but she made it fine. Nervous when she was doing it, but felt more comfortable with the rig when she was done.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #23

HaHa - trial by fire !!!

Similar story here --- going up I-55 somewhere in Mississippi with the previous 5er I started feeling bad, so wife said she can take over since it's 4 WIDE lanes and light traffic for miles...

The NEXT exit has state troopers redirecting traffic off the interstate and onto a SMALL 2 lane and traffic everywhere

no place to swap drivers and I just told her center it and forget the rv is back there EXCEPT on turns then just swing out !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #24

I almost had my wife talked into trying when we went to pick up our new one in Canton, Tx. As we were discussing it I was on a frontage road trying to get on the highway - didn't realize in Texas I have to yield to the people exiting off the highway across my lane, and we almost kissed a semi. The brakes were not working on the trailer yet and I left most of my tires on the road (Antilock isn't too effective with 8 tons behind you freewheeling).

She won't touch it now. Getting a dually when we got home put an extra coat of knowing she will never try it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #25

No wet blanket from this 36 RE who uses a F250. My combined weight for the F250 and RV is 23,500. I keep it around 23000 on my weigh in scales at Flying J and have found no problems with it. I travel with the recommend 80 PSI in rear truck wheels and 110 PSI for RW. I also travel at 62 MPH. It works great for me as I am in no hurry to go anywhere. I am retired and am living the wonderful life! Hope everyone else is also!
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 AM   #26
S&K

How important is it to have air bags installed? Does it depend on what type of tow vehicle you have? and what you are towing?

Thanks,
Shelley

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #27

Having air bags is not required...BUT, they make the ride smoother and more importantly give you more stability and improved braking.

I've noticed a much better ride since we installed ours, less sway, less bucking.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #28

K - have to report that the first tow after greasing the triglide showed MUCH improvement...
I have a powered slider on the rear window of the truck and opening it let's me hear everything going on back there...

Before,
every start and stop that I didn't SLOWLY do was a BANG!!!!!!!!
both forward on braking and backward on acceleration...

Now, I actually TRIED to make it bang and couldn't !!!!
WooHoo!

BUT, the unintended consequence of fixing that is now I can focus more on the creaking, etc... of the hitch or the blow drier sound of the mostrous EPA exhaust
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #29

I love my wife

but I think for 6325 I would consider offering her Audio Books...

Great idea, have considered it but a little pricey right now.

invested 3000 in disc brakes however so mt wife can stop fast.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #30

Thanks, everyone, for the answers to my question. We ended up getting air bags installed on the truck and today was our first trip with them. Whew... big improvement! Now I can't wait to get used to the creaks, moans and other sounds that are "normal" back there

Marcia & Jordan
36RE, 2500 Cummins
WDSFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 AM   #31

Glad I read all this... Just dropped the 38BR off for 2nd yr inspection and then to Ford dealer for 30,000 mile service. Front tires are wearing quickly on the outer 2" of tires. Service Tech told me that is due to the 5er. Truck rides level and pulls like a dream with the Trail Glide hitch with little to no chucking except at RR xings and bad bridge expansion joints. Looks like I will have to get air bags to save my tires... ride without the trailer would be a little softer too... But it is a truck after all.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #32

Brad - we got them installed last winter and they really help to level the back end and make the ride smoother over all but the worst expansion joints.

If you're heading down to the U.S. Camping World installs them for $39

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #33

While They do improve the ride, they do not increase payload ratings. If you are overloaded on a ram 2500 on your payload rating without airbags, you are overloaded with airbags. I don't know the hitch weight of your camper, but I remember my 2500 had a payload rating of around 2300-2600, not exactly sure, but somewhere in that range. That is the reason I upgraded to a 3500 ram. On my last RV, with my 2500, I was dangerous close to my payload rating, before I put anything in the RV, and before putting people in my truck.
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #34

JerryL,
Do not need to increase the rating for my truck. Truck seems to ride level when hooked up. Ride is a little stiff without trailer and found our front tires are wearing like bad camber which dealer said could be remedied with air bags.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #35

Brad - I'm confident you'll be satisfied with the improvement in the ride quality with air bags installed. Best thing we did. Got them at Camping World at cost plus $39 for installation.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
JerryL,
Do not need to increase the rating for my truck. Truck seems to ride level when hooked up. Ride is a little stiff without trailer and found our front tires are wearing like bad camber which dealer said could be remedied with air bags.
Good deal. I wish I could have kept my 2500, but it was just not big enough for my needs.

Edit: I see now that you have a 1 ton. Sorry we got confused in our posts. I guess I was responding to the opening post guy that had a 2500 Ram, and I was just stating a general airbag comment about airbags not increasing payload ratings. I mistakenly used to think they upped the payload ratings. My 2500 Ram's payload rating wasn't big enough for the bigger Redwood and Rushmore rigs.
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #37

Just added Timbren SES, didn't want to mess with inflating/deflating, just needed something to improve unloaded ride due to very stiff overload springs, seems good so far will have to tow to see how they work then. Anyone else on here tried them? Any comments/regrets??
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #38

I have had them on my last 3 trucks and been very happy with them.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags, suspension, towing