Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 AM   #21

I agree with Roger on this one. We tow a 36 FL with a 3,100 lb pin weight with a max GVWR F350 SRW. Our rear axle is loaded almost to the limit, so with a heavier pin weight coach and a F250, or equivalent you must be overloaded.

My concern is in the event of an incident or accident, no insurance company will pay any claim, including 3rd party injury or damage.

Can only hope you reconsider the tow vehicle, if staying with the RW.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #22

So going to the GM spec page the 3/4 ton duramax Crewcab 4x4 combo is rated to tow a 17,600 lbs 5th wheel. Oddly the same configuration in a 1 ton long bed it's 16,900 lbs. Depending on the weight of his trailer and the pin weight I see the the spec max gross combined being weak by about 2000 lbs at 24,500 and the rear axle at 6,200 lbs is light. Comparing to a 1 ton same configuration there is very little difference in the spec other than rear axle @ 7,050lbs max trailer and GCVW are the same. If he went long bed the ratings are actually lower. So about the only way he could move up would be to a dual rear wheel truck. That said, going down the road you see many more single rear wheel trucks pulling large trailers and heavy toy haulers than you see duallies. Not saying right or wrong just observing.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
So going to the GM spec page the 3/4 ton duramax Crewcab 4x4 combo is rated to tow a 17,600 lbs 5th wheel. Oddly the same configuration in a 1 ton long bed it's 16,900 lbs. Depending on the weight of his trailer and the pin weight I see the the spec max gross combined being weak by about 2000 lbs at 24,500 and the rear axle at 6,200 lbs is light. Comparing to a 1 ton same configuration there is very little difference in the spec other than rear axle @ 7,050lbs max trailer and GCVW are the same. If he went long bed the ratings are actually lower. So about the only way he could move up would be to a dual rear wheel truck. That said, going down the road you see many more single rear wheel trucks pulling large trailers and heavy toy haulers than you see duallies. Not saying right or wrong just observing.

You have a good point, you do see a lot of srw trucks pulling large trailers and I used to be one of them. The one major deciding factor has to be....how often someone pulls the trailer,where and how far? If someone buys a Redwood and pulls it a short distance or on relatively flat or smooth roads, this in all probability won't be an issue. However we must remember how heavy the pin weights are on some of these Redwoods.

We already have examples of springs breaking on the trailers that aren't maxed out according to the manufacturer. Yet, somehow we justify and knowingly exceed the limitations on truck springs? If a trailer spring breaks, you're going to loose a couple of tires but if a drive axle or springs on the axle breaks.........there's going to be a more sever problem and I don't want to be near it. When a middle axle abruptly comes to a stop.....a "jack knife" is in the cards. This tends to ruin your day as well as all those around you.

PLEASE don't get me wrong....I always encourage people to enjoy camping and life. Enjoy the Redwood but be aware that until you get a more suited truck, your driving a very fragile situation that could be disastrous so be very careful.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #24

X2 as to what Dave said, We went from SRW to DRW after seeing scale ticket for our 36RE showed 7900 on rear axel of SRW and pin of 3510. Staying with SRW was recipe for disaster.