Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Good new's. Our house has sold and looks like the first place that my work is sending me is San Antonio TX. Leaving next weekend. So my question to you folks is, where looking for a nice big rig friendly camp ground to stay? Hoping to stay within 30 miles or so of San Antonio. One place that I have found is Top of the Hill RV Resorts. GS gave it a good review. Any one stay there before?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Nice rig you have there my friend......Which side of SA are you looking at? We are down there very frequently.

TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Im going to be working at University Medical hospital. So Im think the northern side of SA. I would like to stay within 30 to 35 miles of the hospital.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
Im going to be working at University Medical hospital. So Im think the northern side of SA. I would like to stay within 30 to 35 miles of the hospital.
Okay, found it on the map. We stay at the Blazing Star Luxury RV Resort, W Loop 1604 North, San Antonio, TX. Google maps says its 12 miles from the hospital. There is plenty of spots for large rigs like you have....and it is a very nice park. I know you will like it.

I hope this information helps.

Lady E Cooper
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #5

I going to have a 2nd truck that is going to be towing a 16' enclosed trailer. Do you think that is going to be a problem there?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
I going to have a 2nd truck that is going to be towing a 16' enclosed trailer. Do you think that is going to be a problem there?

I would give them a call and explain what you have. They are really nice people to deal with.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

Is this a busy time of the year for them down there?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #8

Have you stayed at the Top of the Hill Camp ground and Resort?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #9

No, not Top of the Hill Campground....but I see that it is in Boerne. That is where I am now but at the Alamo Fiesta RV Resort. This park is right on Hwy 10, as well. This park is a nice one. Very large park, mostly people renting by the month from the looks of it. However, lower in price than the Blazing Star ... this park we are in is about 12 miles from your medical location. We have been here for about 2 weeks now and the people are very friendly. I would come back here for sure.
I know there is extra parking here...but dont know if they would charge extra for that.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #10

http://blazingstarresort.com/

Forgot to add:
http://www.koyoteranch.com/

Absolutely love this place, especially if you're looking for peace and quiet. Of course, that assumes you're not there during their bike week. </span>Edited by: spindrift
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #11

Another park you could check on is: Hwy 281 RV Park. I had a friend staying there long term and I have delivered a couple RVs there as well. Very nice folks to deal with. It is in Bul Verde on Hwy 281 just south of Canyon Lake and only minutes to San Antonio.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #12

Thanks everyone, and Happy Camper. Looks like the 281 Rv Park might the the 1. Its a little closer then the Alamo RV resort to where Im going to be working in San Antonio.
Thanks again

Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #13

Called 281 rv resort and its full. Still looking..

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #14

Try these folks:
<tt>http://www.woodalls.com/campground/c...undid=43495400</tt></pre>
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #15

Well we finally made it to San Antonio TX. We are now Homeless and ready for our new life on the road. We closed on the sale of our house last friday. Hooked up and headed out trying to beat the snow storm coming in friday night and a even bigger one on monday. That didn't work out so well we didn't get 10 miles down the road before we were in the snow bad. We slowed it down to a craw in places and pressed forward. Watching the road making sure it didn't start to get to slippery. Now I have our dually and the coach behind me loaded for full time living. My wife is driving my work truck loaded with work tools and a 16 foot V nose enclosed trailer load up with our Side By Side and tools and generator. After about a hour in heavy snow we started to run out of it and got into wet roads. Drove to Pa that night to try and get as far south as we could to stay south of the cold and storm. Stayed at Wally World in Port Jarvice PA. Headed out in the early am and we didnt get 50 miles from there and ran into more snow only this time the roads were starting to take it and slick over. Then it turned to freezing rain.. Some very slow and tense moments but pressed on trying to get farther south. Finally ran out of snow and ice around Harrisburg PA. Drove to Wytheville VA on 81 South and stayed at the Deer Trial Park and Campground. Decided to stay there for a couple day and start up the camper and try and organize it. It was only 16 degrees when we left friday afternoon so I left it winterized and everything was in boxes. When we arrived at Deer Trail park it was 65 degrees out and start up of the camper went great. Stocked up the coach with food and got some much need rest. Headed out Monday morning it was 32 degrees and spitting snow again! Headed south and everything was going good till we got to Birmingham Alabama. Their we ran into a TORNADO! Never in my life had I seen trees move like blades of grass in a field. We were following tractor trailers and crawling it got very dark and then all of a sudden this wall of wind and rain hit us trees were flying limbs Pine cones the size of soft balls bouncing of us. Even the roof of a building fly and landing in the media strip in front of us. I knew we were in real trouble but need to keep moving. They (the truckers) said to keep moving. The rigs a shaking, talking to my wife on the cell phone behind me telling her that we were ok and to stay tight to me and keep moving. Got through it! No damage and continued south on 59. Pulled into Yogi Bear Park in Palahatchie MS. Stayed there for the night and headed west from there. Made it to Waco TX where we did the Wally World again for the night. Headed out in the morning. Only 200 more miles to go. Arrived in San Antonio TX around 10 am. Going up 10 N to the Alamo Fiesta RV Resort not 10 miles from the resort in 4 lanes of traffic. Someone breaks down and decides to just STOP in the 3rd lane 2 cars in front of me traveling at 65 plus MPH split this guy! One car swerved one way and the other went the other way to miss this fool. That left me at about 65mph in traffic to try and not kill anyone. Again i was in contact with my wife at the time and yelled STOP STOP STOP!!!! and at the same time swerved to the left to make an attempt to miss this fool. The car that was beside me saw the cars if front of us swerved and did the same and was starting to go off the road in the media to miss them. That gave me room to move over to her and try and get around this fool. I some how missed the stopped truck and was less then 6” from the car on my left side. Got it back into the 3 rd lane and looked in my mirror and saw my wife up tight to that truck and a truck side ways behind her. LUCKLY she stopped 2 foot from hitting the truck and the truck behind her missed her also. No one hit anyone! How I don’t know? I asked Carol if she was ok and if there was any plastic or part in the road? She said she was fine and there was nothing in the road. Really? Because I had that thing sideways and still don’t know how I didn’t flip it or hit that truck. She said that I was throwing the rig so much around that she could see the interior of my truck. But no scratches or ding or dent on either one of us. Arrived at the Resort where we are staying about 10 mins later still shaking wondering how I missed the truck. Did a complete walk around on both rigs and everything was untouched. Gave my wife a big hug and went in to check in. So, Now were are relaxing in San Antonio TX in warm weather glad that we are not in New England at home where they just got another 16” of snow. Going to work Monday supposed to be hot down here but thats OK for now. Were tired of the snow.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #16

Glad to hear you folks are o.k WOW, what a journey. I hope you have plastic seat covers. Now for the 64 thousand dollar question...disc brakes or drum?

I'm flying down to SA tomorrow to see our new granddaughter. My wife has been there for a week already and tells me the weather has been beautiful.

Really, really glad to hear you made it safely. If we ever meet up, remind me to tell you about the first time we took our travel trailer to SA. Edited by: spindrift
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Chuck, We're sure proud and Happy you and the Mrs.made it safely to SAT What a great story for a movie. If they make it would you like todo your own setunt driving ? By the way if the Mrs. was only 2 feet from that truck in front; how the heck did you get her around that and get back together? Did you have to do much breaking during that maneuvering or was it mostly steering, cussing, and hollering?
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #18

If anyone is on the fence as to disk or drums. DISK ALL THE WAY!!!!
I think that when I hit the brakes and turned it help the trailer stay behind me.
But after the first hit it of brakes it was mostly turning. When I pulled over to wait for
Carol I saw her at the ack of that truck the other truck behind her was side ways
So I figured she had hit that guy nutshell saidshewas able to stop 2 feet short.
The guy behind her pulled out and let her back up alittle to get around the stopped truck.
She said she was still shaking last night thinking about it. I'll do the stunt driving for the movie.
My racing experience came in handy. My wife is still shaking her head as to how I made it.
And me too. Just a lot of flat LUCK!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Chuck, I'm glad you made through all that safely!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #20

Chuck what an experience. I am glad it all worked out and everyone was safe. I've vowed to never pull my 5th wheel in snow or sleet, and I pray I'm never tested. I've also had concerns about traveling in parts of the South during tornado season. Your experience confirms my concerns and the need to be extra diligent when traveling through tornado alley. We are planning to hit the road the end of April or first part of May. We will be traveling from Sacramento CA to Minneapolis Mn area. Spring weather in Mn can throw you a twist now and then as well. Some years the tornados will reach up into areas north of Minneapolis so will have to keep and eye to the sky and track the weather.