Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Full Timer Questions

My Wife and I plan on being Full Timers in our new 36RL come first of the year. I haven't seen any comments or info on Full Timer lifestyle and I would like to get some comments and input on a few Lifestyle adjustment's. 1. What is recommended for Mail, Internet connections (not including RV Parks) were planning on Direct TV already setup and any other trick that have been discovered along the way any info would be greatly appreciated

Woody & Jana
2015 36RL Residential Fridge, W/D Full Paint
2015 Ford F-350SD Lariat, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, DWD, 4X4
MZWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and Redwood family. We are not full timers so I can't answer some of your questions. We are snowbirds for part of the winters. We too use satellite for tv. As far wifi, when park wifi is not good, we use our cell phone(Verizon) as a hot spot. Just have to adjust the amount of data you need.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #3

The Escapees Forum will provide all of the info you need on the full time lifestyle.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

We use the GoodSam mail forwarding service out of Crestview, Florida (allowed us to change to Florida Residency) and use a Verizon JetPack for Internet access (they're our phone provider also). We have installed a WiFi Repeater setup that has an outside antenna and it helps with CG WiFi networks.
If you plan to do a lot of traveling, you may wish to think about a suspension upgrade to something like the Mor/ryde IS (we just completed a 17000 mile trip from Florida to Alaska, down the West Coast, and all the major Western Parks, and back to Florida) no problems, just loosen a few screws. We use DirecTV with a Winegard Travelr Dish on the roof and have the Distant Networks so we can get the Network shows anywhere.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
lwg

I just used the local Pack & Ship for our mail. They forward at 2 week intervals or whatever I need. They also go through and throw out the junk mail for us. Works great and costs about $80/year plus postage.

For wifi, as others have said if park wifi stinks then switch to mobile phone data. That being said most of the parks we've stayed in had decent wifi, some have fantastic wifi. I've also added a wifi Ranger to my setup to bring in weaker signals. Works great for me.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

Woody,
We don't full time but I noticed a "fulltimer" area on the other forum. Might be place to check. I've never actually opened it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #7

We travel about 20k miles yr and are using Direct TV w/Traveller, AT&T Cell Phones and Verizon Jet Pack. Staying connected for me is a must so I always have an option.
I added the IS and would recommend upgrading the suspension if you travelling a lot.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

We fulltime. Like Michelle & Ann we use GoodSam Mail Forwarding service and used the Crestview address to establish Florida residency [no state income tax]. We also use Verizon for internet, we have a grandfathered MiFi account with 20G/month. We use AT&T for phone service.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #9

We fulltime and use our Daughters address in FL as our legal address.
She sorts through our mail and sends us anything that is important.
We use park WiFi if available or our AT&T Air Card if needed.
Our satellite provider is Dish, we use a simple tripod setup that we can move around to get a clear view of the southern sky since we encounter trees most of the time.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #10

Fulltiming

We have been full timing in our 38GK for about 8 months. The RV resort we are currently in has DSL at the pedestal. That is very nice! Otherwise we have a wifi ranger and ATT hotspot. Works OK for the most part. We have Dish, but our tailgater recently went out. After examining the parks we stayed at the last eight months, most had a good cable connection. We like our DVR, so looking at a TiVo for that feature to use with park cable. Dish will let you turn your service on and off for a nominal fee so looking at a new rooftop mount for when we need it.

Bob, Mary & Kailee Ann
2014 38GK
2013 F-350 DW Diesel
03 Harley Classic & Idaho Tote
Caribe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

We full-time and have made a number of adjustments in what we carry so we can be efficient on weight. We changed all bills to online only, digitized all music and photos. We carry only a small number of paper files. Our titles, passports and some special papers are carried in the safe.

We currently use Americas Mailbox as our residency is based out of South Dakota. We have also used Escapees mail service, both are good. Our truck insurance is through ARRP and the RW insurance + content is through Americas Mailbox/National.

We use AT&T cells for hotspots when needed. We have DirectTV with Wingard Traveler. I also have a WIFI USB booster for our MacBook. We replaced our furniture with more comfortable residential furniture. I made modifications in the basement so we could carry more items in an organized way. Also replaced the standard mattress with a sleep number.

At a minimum make sure you have G or better rated tires on your rig. Last we chose to do some volunteer work while on the road, as we like to give back, keep busy and slow down the travel pace.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

Dean, gotta' ask...what is in your avatar?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #13

It is a painting my wife did of two salmon swimming in the water. The painting is from a photo I took of the salmon jumping up the ladders at the Nimbus Fish Hatchery in Folsom, CA.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #14

I've heard about, but have never seen salmon climbing those ladders. Don't mind telling you that I just love smoked salmon from the NW. Delicious!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #15

Yep smoke salmon is one of my favorites as well. Washington and Alaska have some of the best. Just saw s show on tv that was talking about Acme Seafood out of NY. The have been in business since the 1950's and they specialize in smoked salmon. They are suppose to have some of the finest smoke samon in the lower 48.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #16

Not a big Seafood eater, but the Bears we saw in Alaska sure seemed to like their Samon Raw!!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #17

Ahhh...Sushi!!