Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #21

Plain and simple answer YES ANY MOD YOU MAKE TO YOUR EXHAUST OR ECM AND ENGINE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY! That being said the f350 with the 6.7 diesel has more than enough power with out doing any mods to it. I have one these my self and in its stock (unmodified) form it has more power than the 2005 f350 with the 6.0 diesel with all of the mods done to it and i get better fuel mileage to boot.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #22

My truck isn't registered in a state that does emissions testing but many states do. Will the mods these guys do to the trucks cause them problems when it comes time to test their emissions?
I have no intention on doing anything to my truck but I was curious.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #23

Late model 1 ton pickups with diesels are much more refined now, with their exhaust brakes and tighter integrationwith the transmissions. My '12 GMC has plenty of power - and everything else needed to tow a large heavy trailer right from the factory. There is even an article comparing all three:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

Most new trucks don't need all the mods the older ones needed. The kit's mostly changed the intake and exhaust airflow - making them much noisier just to make that extra power. The chips changed the shift points and fuel flow. Bryan's right. In the end, you gave up alot in order to make less power than the new models come with.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #24

Great answers... thanks a lot. I did a lot of research when looking at the 38BR to ensure I bought enough truck to pull it. I was planning on getting the extended warranty and Ford prepaid maintenance plan so I don't have to worry about servicing deadlines and costs cutting into my beer and scotch budget!

BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
My truck isn't registered in a state that does emissions testing but many states do. Will the mods these guys do to the trucks cause them problems when it comes time to test their emissions?
I have no intention on doing anything to my truck but I was curious.
Yes it will make every truck with the mods unable to pass the emissions tests even if you set them to the stock position on the programmer. Just changing the intake in some cases will cause them to fail.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
Site Team

In most cases you won't be able to get your money back in return....I almost did the changes to mine but decided to wait for now. The only reason I was going to change mine over was for the fuel savings. But the reason it was going to work out for me was because I drive my truck 40,000 miles a year. So if I can save 3 to 5 mpg it would pay for it's self in a short time. I simply wanted to control my shift points and get the extra MPG. BUT I didn't want the noise and smoke. Also there's several places on the web that says these Ford 6.7 and chevy's are great diesels however the injector pumps (Bousch)are starting to go out on the modified engines and when they go out they blow the entire engine ($10-$12000 worth).
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

In most cases you won't be able to get your money back in return....I almost did the changes to mine but decided to wait for now.Â* The only reason I was going to change mine over was for the fuel savings.Â* But the reason it was going to work out for me was because I drive my truck 40,000 miles a year.Â* So if I can save 3 to 5 Â*mpg it would pay for it's self in a short time.Â* I simply wanted to control my shift points and get the extra MPG.Â* BUT I didn't want the noise and smoke.Â* Also there's several places on the web that says these Ford 6.7Â* and chevy's are great diesels however the injector pumps (Bousch)Â*are starting to go out on the modified engines and when they go out they blow the entire engine ($10-$12000 worth).
I'm curious how an injection pump takes out the motor did they give any examples?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Quote:

In most cases you won't be able to get your money back in return....I almost did the changes to mine but decided to wait for now. The only reason I was going to change mine over was for the fuel savings. But the reason it was going to work out for me was because I drive my truck 40,000 miles a year. So if I can save 3 to 5 mpg it would pay for it's self in a short time. I simply wanted to control my shift points and get the extra MPG. BUT I didn't want the noise and smoke. Also there's several places on the web that says these Ford 6.7 and chevy's are great diesels however the injector pumps (Bousch)are starting to go out on the modified engines and when they go out they blow the entire engine ($10-$12000 worth).
I'm curious how an injection pump takes out the motor did they give any examples?

They claim it threw metal all though the system
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #29

That's interesting I'll have to look into this.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
That's interesting I'll have to look into this.

GM and Ford claims that it's cause by water getting into the system but the one connecting dot seems to be that most of the diesels with this problem have been modified.

If it calms down I might reconsider after I see if for sure I'm keeping this truck and I research some more about the pumps.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #31

I will wait until my Warrantee is up until I modify my truck. If i need more power than the pickup has I'll get the A model Kenworth hooked up 10:4!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
I will wait until my Warrantee is up until I modify my truck. If i need more power than the pickup has I'll get the A model Kenworth hooked up 10:4!
Yea I've looked at the Pete myself but the Kenworth would be nice too. When you consider how long they last, it wouldn't be a bad deal after the initial outlay of cash.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #33

Thank you all!! Great information!

It is wonderful to hear all the different perspectives.

I think for now I will stay with the F-250. But if we could geta Redwood Owners special on the Kenworth I may
Get in line
benstefa1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
Â*
Yea I've looked at the Pete myself but the Kenworth would be nice too.Â* When you consider how long they last, it wouldn't be a bad deal after the initial outlay of cash.
When we get to start doing some serious traveling I will have a road tractor set up to haul the Harley and the house .

Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #35

You didn't mention what year Ford you are driving. I ask because 14 months ago I traded our 2010 F250 SRW for the new 2011 of same. It took me a month to figure out that the only difference (tires being the same) between the F250 and F350 was the 350 has an extra rear leaf spring on each side. Awesome tow rig by the way!

My Ford dealer steered me to the F250 SRW shortbed and I'm glad he did. We added Firestone air bags with remote that we pump up to 42PSI and towing and 5PSI when empty.

We have towed our 36RE over the best and worst terrain possible in all weather and I feel in complete control. I would only go with DRW if we were towing lots of miles on a full time basis. When we unhook I love having the short bed SRW.

2011 F250 short bed SRW
3/55 rear axle
Pull Right Super Glide Hitch
Firestone airbags w/wireless remote
Titan 50 GAL tank (installed by our Ford Dealer)

Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re
You didn't mention what year Ford you are driving. I ask because 14 months ago I traded our 2010 F250 SRW for the new 2011 of same. It took me a month to figure out that the only difference (tires being the same) between the F250 and F350 was the 350 has an extra rear leaf spring on each side. Awesome tow rig by the way!

My Ford dealer steered me to the F250 SRW shortbed and I'm glad he did. We added Firestone air bags with remote that we pump up to 42PSI and towing and 5PSI when empty.

We have towed our 36RE over the best and worst terrain possible in all weather and I feel in complete control. I would only go with DRW if we were towing lots of miles on a full time basis. When we unhook I love having the short bed SRW.

2011 F250 short bed SRW
3/55 rear axle

Right now I have a 2011 F350 SRW Lariet 4X4 off road package fully loaded. As of Wednesday I'll have a 2012 F350 dually equiped and the same color as my current truck. The only equipment change will be adding 2 wheels, losing the off road package and a 370 dif. instead of the 355 dif.. Also I'll be going from 20 inch tires to 17 inch

My current truck gets 10.5-11 mpg pulling my Redwood about 70 mph. My truck actually pulls better and gets the best milage pulling around 1700-1800 RPM (68-70 mph)
Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #37

I think ST (trailer) tires are only rated for 65 mph...
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
I think ST (trailer) tires are only rated for 65 mph...
That's right Steve and people wonder why they have blowouts, speed plus overloading = blowout!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re

2011 F250 short bed SRW
3/55 rear axle

When you went from your 2010 to the 2011 you upgraded the diesel tremendously. The 2011 Ford diesel was the start of the 6.7 scorpion.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #40

Bill,

I have a 2011 Ford.

benstefa1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote