Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #21

On GM the tow/haul utilizes the transmission braking & I have to push the button to activate the exhaust (turbo or whatever technically anyone wants to call it) brake.
Also my opinion is if the trailer stops the truck manually with controller then the shaking is not caused from the trailer.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
On GM the tow/haul utilizes the transmission braking & I have to push the button to activate the exhaust (turbo or whatever technically anyone wants to call it) brake.
Also my opinion is if the trailer stops the truck manually with controller then the shaking is not caused from the trailer.
Ford only has the Tow/Haul which automatically engages the transmission and exhaust brake ('15+ have a separate button for exhaust brake).

The shaking is definitely the truck, that part was pretty easy to diagnose.

After doing some thinking I suspect that I inadvertently caused it. Typically when going down steep grades there are two lanes. With two lanes I don't worry about backing up traffic and my brake routine is to use the exhaust brake to somewhat maintain a speed, once I start to pass my threshold sped I'll brake moderately to bring the speed back down then let off the brakes to let them cool before moderately braking again once the faster speed is reached.

Yesterday I only had one lane, the speed limit was 65 and I didn't want to go faster than 45-50. Thus traffic was backed up behind me quite a bit. I changed my braking routine to only lightly use the brakes to maintain speed due to trying not to affect the folks behind me too much. I did try and let them cool intermittently but suspect I miscalculated. Plus it was a long 4+ mile grade to boot.

Lesson learned... Brake moderately and not worry about the folks behind me!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #23

You are correct, your technique caused it don't brake moderately - brake sharply and let off...

Ever been on cruise and feel the engine downshift when going downhill to keep you near your set speed ? that's the electronics helping you...

The best way to use the turbo brake on the fords is to put it in tow/haul and cruise control @ the speed you want and the ford WILL downshift automatically and close off the turbo vanes therefore acting as a brake....

Another way to do it in tow/haul is to sharply hit the brake for a second and the tranny will downshift if it won't force aand overrev the engine, so best to be ahead of it...

I never use the brakes for long periods, just sharply brake to get down to the speed I want and let off... but you know that

I actually use that feature to slow down even when not towing ! and in a HARD stop, it will surprise you how fast it will go down gear by gear!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #24

May end up costing some new rotors if they can't be turned.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #25

Agree with Danny. GMC is known for close coordination with the DuraMax & Allison in Tow/Haul mode. I've never towed without it the whole time. Some people use it selectively because they believe it reduces fuel economy but I always leave it engaged.

Personally, I'm still amazed how my GMC manages most of the towing decisions, freeing me up to make all the mistakes... Really love this truck!
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #26
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
May end up costing some new rotors if they can't be turned.
The vibration was short lived. After everything cooled down things went back to working like normal. Towed another 250 miles today and didn't have any issues.

Johnboytoo,
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I usually set the cruise and forget it unless the grade is more than 5%. It revs way to high for my comfort level on those grades. Today I paid close attention to braking the way I have previously (hard to slow to desired speed, etc) and no problems occurred at all.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
The vibration was short lived. After everything cooled down things went back to working like normal. Towed another 250 miles today and didn't have any issues.
Ah that's good!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Did you not use the exhaust brake on your truck? On mine if I use tow/haul & exhaust brake on the truck it seems it would almost stop without using brakes. I love that set up!!
I like that the truck seems to stop on it's own as well, this gives you very good control on slippery surfaces.