Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #21
lwg

That's exactly how I thought they should work. I definitely need to try and purge them like others have mentioned, if that doesn't work I'm ordering a new valve.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #22

Had the same problem replaced auto changeover regulator myself (redwood wouldn't send me the part to replace as it is very dangerous and ONLY properly trained personal can do it LOL). And I still had the same problem I think it is the other BBQ style that is messing up I have to tap on it to get it (gently)switch over.
Duke & Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #23
lwg

Alright, finally found some time to troubleshoot. Did the air purge someone had mentioned and that didn't fix anything. Then pulled off the hose on the side that isn't working to check for obstruction. Everything looked ok. On a whim decided to get a replacement hose from the local parts dealer. That appeared to do the trick. Everything works as designed at this point. The hose I replaced was only 6 months old. Back in April I replaced both propane pigtails proactively trying to eliminate a problem down the road. I bought the "Mr Heater" replacement hoses from Camping World. Apparently it's hit or miss with this brand as I'm batting 500 so far. The replacement hose from the local dealer appears to be of much higher quality and was only $11. Thinking about grabbing a replacement for the hose that's working in hopes that I dint have to deal with this issue again...
Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Alright, finally found some time to troubleshoot. Did the air purge someone had mentioned and that didn't fix anything. Then pulled off the hose on the side that isn't working to check for obstruction. Everything looked ok. On a whim decided to get a replacement hose from the local parts dealer. That appeared to do the trick. Everything works as designed at this point. The hose I replaced was only 6 months old. Back in April I replaced both propane pigtails proactively trying to eliminate a problem down the road. I bought the "Mr Heater" replacement hoses from Camping World. Apparently it's hit or miss with this brand as I'm batting 500 so far. The replacement hose from the local dealer appears to be of much higher quality and was only $11. Thinking about grabbing a replacement for the hose that's working in hopes that I dint have to deal with this issue again...
2nd. Had the same problem. Bought a 6 ft Mr Heater hose at CW to connect our grill to a propane tank in place of the 16 oz bottles. Grill worked on bottles but not with the hose. Took it back to CW to exchange for another brand. The store manager told me the failure rate for the Mr. Heater hoses was about 50 percent. Replacement SOB worked fine.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #25

Before our trip out west to what turned out to be a very cold Wyoming, I checked both tanks. Roadside tank did not work at all regardless of position of regulator. Local shop ended up replacing a a hose and the regulator. Now automatic tank change works exactly as it should. What was more important is that they found two leaks in the system as it was assembled by the factory.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #26

Wow, where were the leaks?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #27
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Wow, where were the leaks?
2nd that question. I need to take the propane sniffer through all of the connections as I occasionally smell propane and I know the hoses and regulator aren't leaking (already tested them).
Old 12-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #28

Ya, there isn't even an open pilot on these like my last rig had on the range. Shouldn't smell anything.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #29

After my pig tails went, not even a year old, and the wife with a sensitive nose didn't smell the propane (my sense of smell is really bad) even though I told her I could smell it, I now keep a spray bottle of soapy water under the sink and use it every time I turn the propane on. That is the only thing I fear on an RV. I have replaced the red regulator and have issues with the changeover, that will be next.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote