Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Skid Wheels??

Has anyone ever mounted skid wheels to the back of their Redwood? With almost 17 feet hanging behind rear wheels, I have at times scraped the road with the hitch. and have found backing up a slight grade could tear ladder off my unit if I didn't block the wheels with boards (PITA). I know lippert would probably frown on these but it would really help with getting into and out of spots.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

The only problem with adding wheels is that the wheels take up some of your already limited clearance and they will just hit sooner IMHO

I watch for those scenarios where it might hit and try as best I can to go up at an angle...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #3

I saw somewhere these metals skid pads mounted on another 5er. They were mounted in such a way as to protect the bumper but didn't hang down. Wish I could remember where I saw them. Getting old sucks. :-(
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Traveling

Yes, we could definitely use those :-( It happens more often than we like.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
lwg

I mounted these on one after scraping the tail pulling onto a street from a parking lot. Scraped the hitch real bad and bent the screw drive on my rear stabilizers that I added.

http://www.etrailer.com/Motorhome-Ac...48-979014.html

They do hang low but have never hit when traveling at high speeds.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishco View Post
Has anyone ever mounted skid wheels to the back of their Redwood? With almost 17 feet hanging behind rear wheels, I have at times scraped the road with the hitch. and have found backing up a slight grade could tear ladder off my unit if I didn't block the wheels with boards (PITA). I know lippert would probably frown on these but it would really help with getting into and out of spots.
Great question. I recently ripped off the lower rung of my already flimsy ladder. The very, very, very good news is that had the ladder been more stout, there would have been significantly more damage to the rear of the coach. I'm sure the ladder would have ripped right out of the fiberglass and any backer plate that may support the ladder mounting hardware.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #7

Having worked on Ro/Ro ferries for too many years I seen numerous RV's damaged on the ramps.

The initial post regarding wheels have pros and cons. As already mentioned they reduce the already low clearance. They only work if minimal force is applied, as I have seen many bent and/or ripped off. In some cases the wheels caused significant damage.

Have also seen some drivers with skids gun it and end up stuck.

From my experience, the only way to guarantee no damage is take it slow and use pads. When using pads ensure nobody stands behind them as I've seen them fired out the back way too many times.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote