Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #1

Can't find coax splitter

I have a 2014 38gk. I've carefully studyed the cable wiring diagram. I am looking for the satellite spliter that exits between the living room and bedroom that feeds the outside tv. Brad's diagram found at:
http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...p?t=36&page=15
Shows the splitter I'm looking for. It's the one marked "bypass".

I have removed every light fixture in the bedroom, hall and bath. I have removed all of the cable connections in & near the bedroom tv and can't find anything. The only slack cable I found was in the hall near the fan, no spliter however.

Any suggestions?

Thx
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #2

Ken,

I got help on mine from Tony I think - mine was above the ceiling light in the bedroom near the bathroom door. it was within 6" of that light.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #3

Brad,
Thanks, I've had them all out & still no luck....I'll try posting on the other forum too.

Ken
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #4

Mystery solved!

Turns out the wiring diagram was wrong. A friend of mine and I pulled all the coax connections yesterday and tested the lines. It turns out Redwood added a third orange coax line in the living room that runs directly to the outside tv. No splitter involved! It was marked, tape 1.

I have written Redwood to see if they have the correct wiring diagram for this model. If so, I will post it.

Ken
Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

That's awesome Ken. We had one of the first outside TVs so I don't think they thought about running a direct wire back then.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

I suspect I have the same setup as Ken, even though I have a different RW and my TV is not in the basement. It has its own compartment on the passenger's side main slide. I'm still kind of confused though as to how I can set up my DirecTV Genie to work. My understanding is that in order for the Genie to work, it has to be connected to my TV via a HDMI cable and the output of the satellite wiring from the RV to connect to the input of the Genie. I'm really thinking hard about trading in the wired Genies for wireless ones. Might be easier??

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #7

Brad We have the 2013 RL and our Hopper and Joeys (TV in bedroom, living room and basement) all work fine through the coax. We get HD TV at all three
locations as well as access to DVR functions at all three. Dealer installed all parts of the Dish as well as the rooftop Travel'r and have been satisfied for the most part.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #8

Ramn8ter

My outside TV is also located in the slide. Once we identified the coax, installation of the Dish/Hopper/Joey is easy. I would assume the same would apply with DirectTV/SWM/genie.

The diagram provided by Redwood was incomplete and incorrect. (BTW, Redwood customer service told me that the diagram is not model specific and generic in nature...go figure!).

The satellite wiring is actually very simple:

Roof installation

There are two orange coax cables that are run from the roof, one to the living room TV, one to the bedroom TV. The coax is attached to the satellite receiver and an HDMI cable is used from the receiver to the TV.

Convenience center installation (portable satellite)

There are two coax cables that are run from the connivence one orange one to the living room TV, one white one to the bedroom TV. The coax is attached to the satellite receiver and an HDMI cable is used from the receiver to the TV.

Outside TV
In my rig (not shown on any diagram) there is a third orange coax cable in the living room. This is a direct run to the outside TV.

Depending on satellite provider, this leg will carry the signal to a receiver, then an HDMI cable from the receiver to the outside TV.

Here is how the cable is marked (or not) in my rig:

Living Room, orange cable feeds:

Living Room: .........................Destination:
1. Unmarked orange:...........Convenience center
2. Tape 1:...........................Direct run to outside TV
3. Tape 2 :..........................Roof

Bedroom: Nothing is marked. I removed coax covers

Bedroom: ...........................Destination:
1. Single coax orange:..........Roof
2. Double coax, white:..........Convenience center**

** There are 2 coax cables on this plate. The only way to tell is to buzz or tone to the convenience center. This will be the cable that will be attached to the bedroom satellite receiver.

In Brad's case, there was a splitter that needed to be removed for it to work. Redwood changed the wiring in my coach to give a straight run to the outside TV making the satellite installation much easier.

I only wish Redwood had a complete and correct diagram for my rig. The wrong one sent me on a several hour wild goose chase! When I get back from my trip I will try to post the correct diagram for my rig.

Ken
Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Brad We have the 2013 RL and our Hopper and Joeys (TV in bedroom, living room and basement) all work fine through the coax. We get HD TV at all three
locations as well as access to DVR functions at all three. Dealer installed all parts of the Dish as well as the rooftop Travel'r and have been satisfied for the most part.
Jim,
I've got all mine working, but I had to ditch one of the splitters in the ceiling:

Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #10

Ken,
Would it be fair to assume that the third orange coax cable in the living room that is a direct feed to the outside TV, goes from the living room outlet to the cable outlet inside the cabinet that is located below the dining room table (this is where the cable/antenna cable is hooked up to)? I tried to pull the plate to see if there is an orange cable, but that they installed it that with no slack whatsoever. If not, and I suspect the Joey and the Genie are pretty much the same, then I'm not even sure where I would put the Genie. Right now, my idea is to put it next to my outside TV.
Thanks,
Jack

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

Jack,
In my rig, there are 3 orange coax cables in the center cabinet, top shelf in the living room. They are loose in the cabinet. The one with a single piece of electrical tape goes directly to the outside TV. I have a hutch, lower left of the dining room table that has power and 2 coax connectors on a plate.

If yours is like mine, you should be able to look from the outside TV cabinet and see if the orange cable is top or bottom. That would be the direct feed from the living room. (The other coax is grey and feeds either the park cable or OTA signal.)

The Joey would connect to that orange coax, then an HDMI cable to the TV. There are holes into the hutch to feed the power cord and HDMI cable.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

I don't know about the Genie, but the Joey actually mounts to the back of the TV on the 4 bolts along with the rack, if there is room.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #13

Ken,
I just pulled the satellite/cable outlet below the dining room table (like yours Ken) and found that there is no orange cable. Only the grey one for cable and OTA. Rather frustrated right now!
Thanks Ken and AA.
-Jack

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #14

Jack,
I feel your pain. I wasted the better part of two days toning/testing these wires.

Do you have 3 orange cables in the living room or just 2 like the diagram shows?

Also, can you see the back of the plate from the outside of the slide?
Ken
Old 10-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #15

Ken,
I ran out of time yesterday to check up in the living room. I will do that today. As far as being able to see plate from the outside of the slide; I can only view just a small portion and what I see is a grey cable that is connect to the TV. I have tried both connections that are under the dining room table and connected them to the genie and as expected...no satellite.
On a similar note, do you have any idea how I can take the TV out? I want to install my genie like you did for your joey AA.
Thanks,
Jack

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #16

Jack,
To remove the TV, there are 2 horizontal bars, the top is spring loaded, lift the TV up, pull out the bottom and it will come out. You'll be able to feel it unlock and release.

As far as your wiring, it sounds to me like you haven't connected the 'signal supply' to the outside TV. It does sound like we have the same wiring...if so the factory diagram will not help you.

Although I'm not familiar with DirectTV, let me ask a few questions:

1. What type of dish are you using, roof or portable?
2. Where is your main receiver located, living room or bedroom?
3. Do you have picture in either or both living room and bedroom locations?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #17

Ken,
I really apprecitate the help.
I'm not sure what you mean by signal supply. I really don't like being ignorant!
But to answer your questions:
1. I have a roof dish made by Winegard.
2. My main receiver is located in the living room.
3. I have picture in both the living room and bedroom.
Thanks again!
Jack

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #18

Jack,
No worries, not sure that 'signal supply' is an appropriate term, I was just trying to be descriptive....sorry for the confusion.

Direct has a splitter that allows you to send signal via coax to your mini genie. Hopefully your splitter is located in the living room. The coax from the roof should feed the splitter first. From there it would go to your genie and mini genies.

If the splitter is in the living room, connect the coax (mine was marked with a single piece of electrical tape) to the splitter. If you are wired like mine, there should be 3 orange coax cables,
- one to the roof that should be connected to the DirectTV splitter
- one to the convenience center (this one should not be connected)
- one to the area in the slide by the dining room hutch **This is the one you want to connect to the splitter**

- Using a short piece of coax, connect the coax in the hutch to the mini genie.
- From the mini genie, run an HDMI cable to the TV. Set the input on the TV to the correct HDMI port and you should be good.

The key is to find the DirectTV splitter and the coax to the outside TV.

Let me know your progress. I'm anxious to help you get this worked out! I have a buddy camped next to me that is a DirectTV expert...

Ken
Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #19

Pictures of inside living room satellite connections

Ken,
I've attached some pictures of what may be the splitter you are referring to as well as the three satellite jacks outlets. I can't open them. When I unscrewed them and tried to pull the plate out to see what color the cables were, they wouldn't budge more than 1/8".
Thanks,
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.JPG (26.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.JPG (28.0 KB, 57 views)

2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #20

Jack,
It looks like the cable in your photo is behind the TV. Look in the upper cabinet. A photo of mine is attached. Two of the 3 satellite cables are shown, the 3rd one is attached to my receiver, Dish Hopper

That looks like the input side of your splitter. Are there any outputs? Can you trace it to your genie receiver?

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable.jpg (182.1 KB, 2 views)