Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #61
Site Team

For the record....that guy who left the company, was the best damn guy they ever had working for them and has helped many many people on this forum. I was told, his name is on a trailer that is in the RV museum that he completely rebuilt from the ground up. I don't know what happened with your trailer but if Ronnie couldn't get it fixed than there's a real problem somewhere above his head. This man has been a saint to many of us and someone that I have a great deal of respect for.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #62

No indictments here; merely reporting what I know as fact. Our policy is to never name names for legal reasons and since I'm not aware of forum politics I simply stick to the facts of the particular case. Your defense of the departing employee may indicate issues higher up since that employee was apparently well-liked and respected. I don't know them from Adam. All I do know is that nothing has been done on this for a couple months and the person in question apparently left without notice and this left the dealer a bit confused as to next steps for awhile anyway.
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camachinist View Post
No indictments here; merely reporting what I know as fact. Our policy is to never name names for legal reasons and since I'm not aware of forum politics I simply stick to the facts of the particular case. Your defense of the departing employee may indicate issues higher up since that employee was apparently well-liked and respected. I don't know them from Adam. All I do know is that nothing has been done on this for a couple months and the person in question apparently left without notice and this left the dealer a bit confused as to next steps for awhile anyway.
Your quote "Our Policy" lends me to believe that you're a lawyer and not an actual Redwood owner. Is this true? Also the person your referring to did not in fact leave without notice nor was he terminated.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #64

I'm a machine shop owner but I do use lawyers when dealing with fellow business people, hence my screen name, CAmachinist, since I own a machine shop in California. If you google that name, you'll find tens of thousands of postings on forums back to the mid 1990's.

With that out of the way, no I am not a Redwood owner, as I stated prior, and I believe clearly, I've performed structural work on the unit in question, since it belongs to a fellow colleague and friend and he consults with me on engineering issues and has on this issue.

Since this thread is about 'would you buy it again' I added my comments and reasons.

As an update, the new contact person at Crossroads, a female, told the owner directly in an e-mail that she does not deal with 'end users', only with dealers, so he has no direct factory contact anymore, as he did prior with 'Ronnie'.

As an update to facts and figures, we perused service documents and trip logs and found the unit has been at the dealer for warranty work a sum total of nearly eight months, correcting my prior recollection, and the trip logs indicate total mileage at ~32K miles.

I think both numbers are relevant, in that it appears this trailer has spent a significant part of its life at the dealer, by my figuring nearly 25%; OTOH, it is a well-traveled trailer, probably more well-traveled than a lot of members here. Hence, it may be bringing to light issues which others will never experience and that should be a factor in the decision-making process. That said, the Redwood is marketed as a residential trailer and is registered as such, built for full-time mobile living. If it were to be parked, it would be a park model or mobile home intended for stationary use.

I'm happy that other owners are very satisfied with their coaches. I can assure that this owner wants to be one of them. He is very satisfied with the work, ethics, and culture of his dealer. They've been, clearly, the determining factor between a somewhat frustrating experience and a totally ugly experience. I have every confidence that they'll get this resolved. When is another matter.
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
We would buy again as well. We have had minor issues that have been rectified by our dealer in just a few days. Redwood is currently repainted the front and back cap on our unit due to serious fading of the gelcoat. Hope to get it back in the next week or so and do our winterizing.
Has anyone else had issues with front or rear cap fading ? When ordering our 39MP yesterday, I was assured by a factory rep. that Redwood utilizes HIGH QUALITY automotive type paint on their units that is very durable & resists fading ?
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #66

We have full body paint on our 2012 36rl. No problems with paint fade on both caps. It is my understanding that it is the colored gel coat caps ( not painted ) that oxidize in the sun and fade.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 AM   #67

An earlier post suggested that Redwood has now switched to full body paint so there should be no colored gelcoat exposed to fade.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #68

The cap fading was on the non painted trailers.

Mark
Old 02-17-2015, 02:26 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
The cap fading was on the non painted trailers.

Mark
Yes the fading cap has been an issue for the non-fullbody painted Redwoods. Redwood has been taking care of the problem
under warranty when the fading occurs. Mine is going into a local RV Repair shop next week to have the front cap painted at Redwoods expense. That should solve the problem for good.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #70

NO I would not, the insulation is not enough, hard to cool in summer and heat in winter. Too many things wrong from factory, like light in bedroom shorted out and had to rewire. drawers in bedroom had to reinstall glides. trim falling off. and a list that is to long to mention. This is my 5th new trailer since we started full timing in 2001.
puller f350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #71
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by puller f350 View Post
NO I would not, the insulation is not enough, hard to cool in summer and heat in winter. Too many things wrong from factory, like light in bedroom shorted out and had to rewire. drawers in bedroom had to reinstall glides. trim falling off. and a list that is to long to mention. This is my 5th new trailer since we started full timing in 2001.
So you don't think the Redwood has enough insulation? Compared to what? I've had mine at temps from 7* - 115* and I think it does great, especially considering it's an RV. I can use the fireplace and a 1500 watt space heater to keep the interior at about 72* when the outside temps are in the 20's (assuming there's no wind). That's pretty impressive.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
So you don't think the Redwood has enough insulation? Compared to what? I've had mine at temps from 7* - 115* and I think it does great, especially considering it's an RV. I can use the fireplace and a 1500 watt space heater to keep the interior at about 72* when the outside temps are in the 20's (assuming there's no wind). That's pretty impressive.
I agree with the insulation part as well. In the 20s I had the fireplace rolling and when the trailer heated to the low 60s I let the heat pump warm it up to the mid 70s no prob
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #73

Guess I have to answer YES, especially since we have a new one on order.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Guess I have to answer YES, especially since we have a new one on order.
You must be Happy, Happy, Happy !!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 AM   #75

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Puller
I noticed you turn over your trailers approximately every 3 years. Is it because of problems or upgrading to new improvements
Old 02-18-2015, 02:17 AM   #76
Site Team

Unfortunately......I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect RV. They all have their pluses and minuses. They can never compare to a house unless you have a house with moveable outside walls. But all for all....I think Redwood makes a pretty good unit.......not perfect.....but reasonably good.

The great news is, with the strong competition that exists means they have to get better each year.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:13 AM   #77

Puller, if you're having all those issues you need to make an appointment with the service center in Topeka & get all of them resolved, those folks are FANTASTIC! Most dealers will not begin to do the quality work that you'll receive there.
As far as insulation, we've been in chill factor to -10 & snug as a bug.
Would I buy again? Hell yea!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #78
Traveling

We would definitely buy another Redwood at this point. We haven't had ours a year yet, but we are full time and it HAS been cold where we are (teens sometimes). Absolutely snug and warm, no problems. I have been extremely pleased with both our Service Center/Dealership AND with Redwood's customer service. Who knows? Maybe we will upgrade someday, but it would not be because this one is lacking. WE LOVE our Redwood!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote