Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
I'm convinced that sustained speed over 65mph is a contributing factor (heat buildup) with these heavy 5er tire failures ( got into a tiff tiff with another member about this who claimed that his disk brakes & G rated tires were the answer to everything). I try to maintain between 55 to 60mph.
I believe that tiff was with me, and I'm sure you took it out of context if that is how you feel. I don't recall saying G tires and disk brakes were the answer to everything. I do have an aversion to those that just blanket blame speeds faster than theirs for all the worldly problems with no basis other than you are tired of getting passed. Drive your 55! I don't care, just stay to the right!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #182

Send a message via AIM to superdav
E vs G Rated Tires

Well after much discussion with my Wheel Guys....and just having a blow out with my Goodyear Marathon E Tires....I went with G Rated. I got the Geostar's that they recommended. I know there are other types and ratings....but I couldn't get a definitive "This is the Best Tire" so we went with these. The construction and quality compared to the Goodyear E are night and Day! We should have done this initially....I'm not so sure these Redwoods should be standard with the E Rated Tire. I have a 36FL. So I have a couple of questions....

Because of the rim size they are inflated to 100 psi....Do you guys check the heat of the tire regularly? If so...what degrees do we want them to not exceed? Also, what do you use for a reading?

Thanks!
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
Well after much discussion with my Wheel Guys....and just having a blow out with my Goodyear Marathon E Tires....I went with G Rated. I got the Geostar's that they recommended. I know there are other types and ratings....but I couldn't get a definitive "This is the Best Tire" so we went with these. The construction and quality compared to the Goodyear E are night and Day! We should have done this initially....I'm not so sure these Redwoods should be standard with the E Rated Tire. I have a 36FL. So I have a couple of questions....

Because of the rim size they are inflated to 100 psi....Do you guys check the heat of the tire regularly? If so...what degrees do we want them to not exceed? Also, what do you use for a reading?

Thanks!
We have the 36FL also and put 4 new Goodyear G's on it yesterday. I hope most of my tire worries are gone for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.JPG (676.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #184

I agree....the strength and look of the tires is night and day compared to the E rated....I feel much safer.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 AM   #185

Quote:

Thanks!
I have the TST monitors. I air my Gs to 100psi cold. Both pressure and temp will be near 120 with the air temps at 90 and on the sunny side. 157 degrees I believe is considered to be critical mass.

Mark
Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #186

It sounds like those TST monitors might be the way to go for peace of mind....I'm going to look into that...what mode/type do you recommend?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
We have the 36FL also and put 4 new Goodyear G's on it yesterday. I hope most of my tire worries are gone for now
Looks great, the FL models tend to be a little lighter on the pin and more weight on the axles than some of the other floorplans due to the layout.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #188

Quote:
It sounds like those TST monitors might be the way to go for peace of mind....I'm going to look into that...what mode/type do you recommend?
I have the flow thru sensors. IIRC the are the 507s. There are 6 sensors, I use the 2 extra on the inside duals on the truck.

Mark
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #189

I also have the TST 507RV, but if you have a dually I recommend not using the flow thru on the duals as it's too difficult with them facing each other. The system works great!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #190

We use the TST 507RV system also, works great.

Agree on the Flow Thru Sensors for the duals on our Truck, much easier.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #191

No one has mentioned the G rated Westlake tires now on some Redwood rigs. China brand no doubt What do you all think????
gvtahoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #192

We have a 36FL also. Have had 4 blowouts with the Marathon E's. Hated to replace with same tire, however, we were travelling and a higher rated tire was not available for the Road Service folks to purchase on short notice...the G rated tires had to be special ordered. Long story short, we ended up at the end of our trip, upgrading to Goodyear G rated tires. On this trip we traveled from Texas to South Carolina, to Ohio. No tire issues, other than the Goodyear's are a stiffed sided-walled tire, the stiffness is felt in the coach...things bounce around more. I guess to solve one issue, and sometimes create another. Now researching pin boxes and or shocks for the RW.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtahoe88 View Post
No one has mentioned the G rated Westlake tires now on some Redwood rigs. China brand no doubt What do you all think????
I haven't heard any specifics about them on Redwood, but I was sure disappointed to see such a bottom line tire used on a higher end coach.

Grizzby, I don't think a different pinbox would overcome stiffness of the tire. Air suspension or shocks may, but the pin box is solution to a different problem, more associated with the truck.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #194

I have 17.5"H rated as well. Great ride, it don't bounce all over the road anymore.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #195

How do we increase the load rate, we are too close to the max.!
Peggy C
Peggy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #196
Site Team

Peggy,

you can increase your axles by either buying new axles or by going with Morryde IS system. The Morryde system fixes a lot of the Redwood issues by eliminating the suspension and at the same time smoothing out the ride.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy C View Post
How do we increase the load rate, we are too close to the max.!
Peggy C
Too close to the max of what?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #198

Good Year G614's on our Trailer have had no issues so far
Old 08-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Good Year G614's on our Trailer have had no issues so far
Did you leave the same 7K axels and suspension and just add the H rated tires for the safety of a heavier loaded tire? I know that ideally we should change the axel as well But there seems to be no end to the needed up grades on the RW. RW IMHO would be miles down the road if they would do some cuts on some of the gingerbread and pay attention to the under carriage. tires, brakes suspension and Frame. These items are the life of the RV if your doing much towing.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote