Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #41
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
On my 4000 mile excursion trip to Maine which I just returned from, I averaged 10.9 mpg overall. Keep in mind it was windy and ....yes I am an aggressive driver. Going out I was only getting 9.5 most of the way fighting the winds and hills. Coming back I was averaging 11.5 going down hill. I drive the truck with the traffic, which at times gets going at a pretty good clip. I never worry about the MPG, I just drive the rig like I think I have to and pay at the pump later.
That's actually pretty impressive considering the gearing and the extra set of tires. Wonder if the tuning helped much with the mileage?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #42
Site Team

Considering my driving habits......I think the truck does okay with the mileage. I'm really not sure how much it has helped the MPG.

Where I notice the difference with the tuner is on long grades in the mountains. On these long grade if I have to slow down due to traffic, I can still return to highway speeds without a problem. I do believe under these conditions the tuner helped the economy of the engine. The exhaust set up has reduced so much back pressure.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #43
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Considering my driving habits......I think the truck does okay with the mileage. I'm really not sure how much it has helped the MPG.

Where I notice the difference with the tuner is on long grades in the mountains. On these long grade if I have to slow down due to traffic, I can still return to highway speeds without a problem. I do believe under these conditions the tuner helped the economy of the engine. The exhaust set up has reduced so much back pressure.
Does your exhaust make the truck much louder than stock? I would assume I'd have to consider a delete to get any real benefits from an upgraded exhaust.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #44
Site Team

While accelerating it's louder because you hear the turbo noise. At idle, the only noticeable difference is that you do smell the diesel exhaust but I don't think it's bad. My wife has a very sensitive nose and she doesn't like the smell.

The tune I have in the truck doesn't put off large amounts of black smoke or anything like that. The tuner can be set higher in which case it would be louder and put off more smoke. I've got mine now tuned to 120 extra HP and it can be tuned up to 200 HP.

I may have to put the truck back to stock if I decide to go with a MH. If I do, I'll be selling the "Cold air intake", EFE 4 inch stainless steal exhaust and the tuner. One dealer has already said he wanted my truck as it sits but I'm not sure what he's willing to pay so I might be better going back to stock to open up the field of buyers.