Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
lwg

So we ordered our new 38BR and are very excited. Luckily or unluckily we have 1 month before it shows up. I tend to over analyze everything and thus I'm likely going to do that with the hitch. I currently have a 2013 Ford F-350 SRW shortbed. I think the Redwoods are "short bed friendly" but that will always depend on the truck as some are shorter than others. I believe my bed is 6 3/4' long. Wondering if I need a slider hitch or not? My preference would be not for a couple of reasons listed below. However my bigger preference would be to not damage my truck or trailer due to having the wrong equipment.

Reasons for no slider:
1) Apparently they are vey heavy, this does two things, subtracts from available pin weight and makes removal fairly difficult.
2) I would prefer the ability to have my flat bed back when I stay in one spot for a while.
3) I know I'm spending a bit on the Redwood so don't laugh, but price. Apparently a good slider will run $1500+ whereas a decent standard hitch would be $500 or so.

Please share your experiences or thoughts, particularly those with a Ford short bed.
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
So we ordered our new 38BR and are very excited. Luckily or unluckily we have 1 month before it shows up. I tend to over analyze everything and thus I'm likely going to do that with the hitch. I currently have a 2013 Ford F-350 SRW shortbed. I think the Redwoods are "short bed friendly" but that will always depend on the truck as some are shorter than others. I believe my bed is 6 3/4' long. Wondering if I need a slider hitch or not? My preference would be not for a couple of reasons listed below. However my bigger preference would be to not damage my truck or trailer due to having the wrong equipment.

Reasons for no slider:
1) Apparently they are vey heavy, this does two things, subtracts from available pin weight and makes removal fairly difficult.
2) I would prefer the ability to have my flat bed back when I stay in one spot for a while.
3) I know I'm spending a bit on the Redwood so don't laugh, but price. Apparently a good slider will run $1500+ whereas a decent standard hitch would be $500 or so.

Please share your experiences or thoughts, particularly those with a Ford short bed.
I used to pull my RL with a F350 SRW 4x4 and didn't use a slider hitch at all. I ended up getting a F350 dually and I'm happier but the short bed wasn't a problem....the weight was.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg

Reasons for no slider:

I used to pull my RL with a F350 SRW 4x4 and didn't use a slider hitch at all. I ended up getting a F350 dually and I'm happier but the short bed wasn't a problem....the weight was.
On another note...if you want an automatic slider, I believe "Piperguy has one for sale"
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Did you get the tri-glide hitch?

We had a Reese slider in our 2006 F350 short bed, and after getting the Redwood we removed it.

Between the tapered front and the additional length of the pin box that comes with the Tri-Glide pinbox, we just no longer needed it. We tried every configuration we could in parking lots and back roads to verify it. I switched to a standard 20K hitch.

Within a month, we went to a dually because of the excessive pin weight encountered after adding the generator and W/D. Ironically, with a long bed truck it looks like most of the bed is wasted, because all of that hitch work sets in the back 1/3 of the truck and the nose looks like its a mile away from the cab now.

short bed

long bed

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
lwg

We are getting the upgraded Trail Air hitch, I assume that's what your referring to?

Thanks for the pics and advise. It looks like I'll be good with a standard hitch so that's nice. Now just need to decide which one.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #6

yep - the upgrade is the Triglide. You will love it and you got it at a fraction of the cost compared to adding it later.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
lwg

I'm assuming since I have the Triglide that I don't need/want anything special with the vehicle hitch?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #8

Na - nothing special. just whatever hitch you prefer. I will mention the tri-glide is tall. My Reese 20K is all the way down to the bottom adjustment and the Redwood rides level. If it didn't, I would have no more adjustment so it would have rode high in the front.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
lwg

So the only other question, the new trucks are tall, especially the F-350. My truck rides as high as lifted trucks only I don't have a lift. Will that effect what hitch I should get? I noticed that various hitches have various heights associated with them, not sure if I even worry about it. It would be nice to have a little downward adjustment however up would be good to so I don't have a bed impact or anything like that.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

That part I can't answer, as I don't have a new truck. I would assume because the Triglide sits so tall, it would help in the fact you have a tall bed.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
So the only other question, the new trucks are tall, especially the F-350. My truck rides as high as lifted trucks only I don't have a lift. Will that effect what hitch I should get? I noticed that various hitches have various heights associated with them, not sure if I even worry about it. It would be nice to have a little downward adjustment however up would be good to so I don't have a bed impact or anything like that.
My 2012 F350 sits pretty tall and even with all the air bags inflated I don't have any problems. I still have plenty of clearance on my bed rails.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #12

Same for our F450 and airbags... no problem. The Redwood rides level to our truck bed.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
lwg

Which hitch are you guys running? It sounds like I don't need a slider so I can likely use what you guys are running except the baby F-350 version!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
Which hitch are you guys running? It sounds like I don't need a slider so I can likely use what you guys are running except the baby F-350 version!
I'm using the B&W Companion with the Tr-Glide hitch pin. I had the standard Redwood Hitch pin but I changed it out last winter
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Leg. For what it's worth I've been there and done that where you are now. I hate to say this, but you should seriously consider trading the truck. It's not going to be a question of whether or not you will be overweight, but by how much. I have a 36RL without washer dryer or generator and when I had the rig weighed, I was over in both combined weight and even more so, was over significantly on rear axle weight. My truck was a 2012 F350 with max GVW and all that could go on a SRW.If you do decide to stay with the ZSRW, pm me and I'll give you a list of must adds that will make your life better.

My new Dually is being picked up next week .........BTW, I have a 20 k. PullRite Super Slider hitch for sale
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
I'm using the B&W Companion with the Tr-Glide hitch pin.Â* I had the standard Redwood Hitch pin but I changed it out last winter
I've started looking at the B&W hitch as I like the option of a flat bed when the hitch is removed. It seems that most people who have this setup are extremely happy, guessing that's the case with you? Does the install cost change much on this setup versus the standard 5th wheel hitch? I think the base is the same that's used for the turnover ball?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Site Team

I'm very happy with the B&W
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #18

I recently took delivery of our new 2013 Ram 3500 Mega Cab diesel with a short bed. Dave Smith Dodge installed a new B&W Companion slide hitch with a manual slide release. We tested our turning and backing in a parking lot, but I've yet to have to engage the slide. Its there if we ever need it though.

We traded a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel crew cab short bed with a Pull-Rite slider which we likely didn't really need either. That said the B&W hitch weighs less and is much quieter going down the road. As a side benefit this new hitch easily converts to a level bed and it uses the turnover ball gooseneck hitch as the mounting platform. We have about 1,000 miles on the new truck and hitch and would highly rate this setup. So far I like this B&W better than our Pull-Rite.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re

We traded a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel crew cab short bed with a Pull-Rite slider which we likely didn't really need either. That said the B&W hitch weighs less and is much quieter going down the road. As a side benefit this new hitch easily converts to a level bed and it uses the turnover ball gooseneck hitch as the mounting platform. We have about 1,000 miles on the new truck and hitch and would highly rate this setup. So far I like this B&W better than our Pull-Rite.

This is exactly what I noticed, it's about 50-100 lbs less weight, apparently I'll want all the capacity I can get so that's a plus. Also I know nothing about 5th Wheel hitches but many people comment on how quiet it is and the flat bed is a plus. It's kind of a no brainer to me at this point, just have to swallow the price for it all installed with airbags and move one!