Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

Furrion transfer switch F50-ATS is buzzing

well maybe not buzzing but making an electrical humming type noise. We can sort of hear it in the bathroom. We do not have a generator so nothing is connected to that side. Wonder if anyone has a reason this would be happening. I have disconnected shore power and it did stop, which didn't surprise me since there's nothing there, but it came back when I re-connected shore power. I did a little mechanical agitation while shore power was off, slight tapping on the 2 sides of the relay. Didn't help. Any thoughts?
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #2

Could be the converter. Mine is getting louder. Some time this fall, I'm going to remove the basement wall & try to mount it with gel feet or replace the whole thing because, many times, the whirring sound is the only sound you here.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkathybat View Post
well maybe not buzzing but making an electrical humming type noise. We can sort of hear it in the bathroom. We do not have a generator so nothing is connected to that side. Wonder if anyone has a reason this would be happening. I have disconnected shore power and it did stop, which didn't surprise me since there's nothing there, but it came back when I re-connected shore power. I did a little mechanical agitation while shore power was off, slight tapping on the 2 sides of the relay. Didn't help. Any thoughts?

What you are describing sounds to me like it is probably a power transformer lamination hum at line frequency. It is nothing to worry about unless it is just too annoying. That is not uncommon with devices that have power transformers.

I am not specifically familiar with the transfer switch although I do have one in my 36RL. I have the generator prep package but not the generator. I have never noticed any sound emanating from the transfer switch. I will have to do some research to see if I can find any technical details about the transfer switch.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Could be the converter. Mine is getting louder. Some time this fall, I'm going to remove the basement wall & try to mount it with gel feet or replace the whole thing because, many times, the whirring sound is the only sound you here.

Mike,

I agree the converter does make some fan noise. It generally gets louder the more lights are turned on. That is more likely what is generating the noise.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

robkathybat,

We have a RW 39MB so our bathroom is right above where the transfer switch is located. We also hear the "humming" of the switch when we are in the bathroom. I'm not overly concerned about it but it is definitely noticeable.

Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Just another thought: We don't have a transfer switch on our unit and there is a hum, it seems to be coming from the hydraulic system in the front storage area (roadside). Cycling the shore power or battery power stops it, but it eventually comes back. You may want to check.

There are no problems with the lifting system other than the hum.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. Our inverter is by the front door. It is remarkably quiet even with all the lights on. There is a fan noise when you get close. Like trfield58 our transfer switch is up front above the batteries. I have found the Furrion website with a "contact us". So I did I will post when I get an answer. Again Thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkathybat View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Our inverter is by the front door. It is remarkably quiet even with all the lights on. There is a fan noise when you get close. Like trfield58 our transfer switch is up front above the batteries. I have found the Furrion website with a "contact us". So I did I will post when I get an answer. Again Thanks
What did you find out?
BillEckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #9

No reply....go figure
Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #10

Hi Rob, I did get an email reply from a Brody at Furrion. He
just asked for my address and is sending a replacement
via ups. I called SC at Redwood, and Terry gave me the
phone number for a Crossroads dealer 60 miles from me
to install the replacement. SO, in two weeks I can let you know
the outcome. Have Fun, Bill
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #11

Cold Springs, a Crosroads dealer, in Weare NH replaced
the ATS very professionally-great experience. The old
switch smelled of some electrical burning so I'm glad
It's out of our 2015 36RB.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #12

What brand did he put in?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

I originally contacted Furrion via email, the reply just asked
for an address to ship the new 50A switch to! We will
see if we have any further concerns The dealer checked
the Furrion both with the 110V and generator under load.