Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #141
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
ok, so I have read over this entire section and understand some but not all of it. Too me, the brake on my Dodge that is controlled by a switch, whatever you want to call it, helps with braking quite a bit. But, more importantly, it makes a cool noise when I use it. The heavier the load, the cooler the noise. As long as they all make that noise, I'm happy.

My 2011 Dodge RAM definitely makes a noise like a mini-jakebrake when the "exhaust brake" button is depressed. And, you can feel the braking action occurring.

And yes, the sound that it makes is kind of cool!!!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #142

AA, think you may be misreading it
it is from my 2013 manual and it says it will downshift thru gears 1 thru 5 (i.e. it's hard to downshift to the top (6th) gear!)

Also - I just posted about the gearing, etc...
I am familiar with the ford's, having had five ford deezles since 2002 and learning from the ford engineers that frequent FTE...

one thing it also does, is lock up the torque convertor so that WHEN that big 6.7 liter air pump has the variable vane turbo closed down,
it supplies tremendous back pressure trying to turn over pistons that are air locked and can't get thru to the exhaust...

really not sure why you don't feel the stopping power of it...

I have had passengers say it almost bruised certain soft tissue when they slammed into the seat belt going down the gears so fast...

turn on your gear selector display,
turn on tow/haul and next time you have a clear road and not towing, just hit the brakes hard and watch the gear selector fly thru the gears and assist your brakes...

And there's always the manual gear section where you basically have a manu-auto tranny to shift the gears with the little + and - buttons
can act like a sports car with a paddle shifter !
sorry to sound like a ford commercial but it does work and I give credit where credit is due !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #143

Ah,
that makes sense on the downshift only through 5 gears - didn't think of that.

On the bruising tissue - yes, if I have nothing on the back, the Tow/Haul will downshift rapidly and if you aren't aware it feels like its going to put you on the dashboard - but that's transmission. My VW would do that to if I could get it to into 1st at 30 mph.

What continues to confuse me, is where is the engine braking that was hyped about the 2011 over the old 6.4? I don't feel it under load. Not any different than the 6.4, or 6.0, or even the 7.3. They all engine braked. I'm looking for something "different" on the 6.7. I understand the turbo thing, but they were telling me that about why I didn't need an exhaust brake on my 6.0, so nothing new I'm hearing. Maybe a noise? Windows shattering in the condos coming down Vail pass .

I wish you could ride with me down I-70, in all my trucks I've had, and you would see what I'm trying to describe. There was nothing "special" or "new" about the 6.7 over the prior engines.

I'm only a few minutes from climbing I-70 from my house. I will try it with nothing on the back to see what I feel before I aggravate the topic too much more
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #144

Maybe it's just managing expectations then
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #145

I don't think its managing expectations as much as separating myth from fact.

If mine is broke, I want to know

If I succumbed to persuasive propaganda and the imaginations of novices, I'm OK with that too.

All I really want to know; is there mechanically and technically something different about the way the 6.7 Engine brakes over what the 6.4 or even the 6.0 had. If it's not different, then I will stop looking for it. It seems there are several on the FTE asking the same question, but I don't find the answer.

Dave already answered Chucks question on page 1 - this question is different.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:47 PM   #146

Sure, here's a more concise response:

The engine brake in a 2012 Ford F-350 diesel, often referred to as an exhaust brake, operates in conjunction with the "tow/haul" mode. When you tap the brake pedal with "tow/haul" engaged, the torque converter locks up, causing the engine to slow down the vehicle. This feature is particularly useful when descending steep grades. You can also manually shift the transmission to lower gears in tow/haul mode for added control during uphill climbs or downhill descents.

Additionally, the exhaust brake on Ford diesel engines works to create backpressure by diverting exhaust gases, aiding in engine braking. It can be used at any time while driving but is most effective when "tow/haul" is active. The exhaust brake is a valuable addition for maintaining control and reducing brake wear, especially when towing heavy loads.

Please note that the 2015 Ford models offer enhanced exhaust braking capabilities compared to the earlier models.
NIOMARVIN83 is offline   Reply With Quote