Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #81
Traveling

I agree. Our dealer had us send in photos of items needing repair (like the broken awning) and then ordered the parts and scheduled the appointment. We were in and out quickly. I would never take the coach in until they said they were ready to do repairs. They also use a mobile tech if it's something small so we don't have to take it in. We haven't had to use this yet.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I keep an eye on ALL types of 5th wheels as well as a good share of the Motor homes. So far I haven't found another brand worthy of my time or money. There are several companies fighting for the "top of the heap... full time" spot. I'm optimistic that this is going to lead to some great changes and better QC just as it has in the trucks.
I keep my eye on everything going down the road as well. When I have the time and the money, I hope it will be a Continental Coach for us. I'm now a member of their "club" and monitoring their forum. We've crawled over, in and under one of their coaches and now we've scheduled a trip to the factory. Can't wait. It's not a purchase that is imminent, but if they continue to build and perform customer service as I've seen from my insulated point of view, they'll have a convert.

Don't get me wrong, we love our Redwood. By the same token, there comes a price point (which RW occupies) where construction technique should be heads and shoulders above some of the entry level and Grade B product that finds its way to market. I want more from my manufacturer than just bells and whistles. And I also believe that we can't give higher end manufacturers a pass because our units are rolling earthquakes. For goodness sakes, it's not as though they don't know that these units will be subjected to road abuse.

For those considering a RW purchase, research your dealer just as much, if not more than, the RV manufacturer itself.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #83

Tom - Vaughan and I toured their factory just before the Rally. It is most definitely the Rolls Royce of RV's. Very impressed and quality control is definitely a major activity. We saw little QC tags throughout the coaches under construction.

However, this all costs money, tons of money. We saw inside a base model, equivalent to a 36RL and being a year old, it was on sale for about $180K.

They are also very heavy, we saw one coach they figured would top the scales about 35,000 lbs. I believe the 36RL equivalent could just be towed by a F350 DRW, but all other units required a semi.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 AM   #84

Wow- I just looked at their website! Beautiful coaches....

But I still see Dometic refrigerators, A&E Awnings, Frigidaire ovens, Phoenix Faucets, all the same stuff that gives us common people trouble sometimes.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 AM   #85

C'mon now...you're anything but common.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #86

Andy...you're absolutely correct. These units are heaveee. I've seen a pretty crazy option list, including stone floors, that doesn't hold much interest for us. Even still, our F350 DRW won't be up to the task. We're looking at the use of composite materials to lighten the load. Additionally, we're investigating a radical new floor plan that may remain a pipe dream.