Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

We are getting a 36RL with a Trail-Air Pin Box. Does anyone have suggestions on a good Hitch for these? Ours currently is a Reese 15K and it is a little chewed up. We are more concerned for the weight of the trailer filled with stuff on this type hitch.
Rooksfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

Hi John,

Ibought a new truck and installed the Reese Elite hitch. I like how it is removeable from the bed so the truck can be used for other things when needed. It comes in 18K and 25K. I bought the 18K as myRedwood GVW is 16,500.

I just got my RL and took it on a 1,800 mile "shakedown journey" to SC and the rig really took some hard shots going overthe overpasses on I-95 in VA.Yikes... that hitch is strong!

BTW,the rating on theTrail Air is18K as well.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooksfive
We are getting a 36RL with a Trail-Air Pin Box. Does anyone have suggestions on a good Hitch for these? Ours currently is a Reese 15K and it is a little chewed up. We are more concerned for the weight of the trailer filled with stuff on this type hitch.
You should consider at least a 18k hitch of what ever brand you are comfortable with.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

I was advised to select a hitch that at least matches the maximum towing rating for my truck. That way if you get a newer or heavier trailer down the road you'll be set.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Dan

I was informed that the rule of thumb is add 24% to the maxweightof the unit. I went with a reese elite wanted a clean bed in the truck with the hitch removed I was looking for a 18k but there was non in stock and they offered me a 25k for the same price well just couldn't pass that one up

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I was informed that the rule of thumb is add 24% to the maxweightof the unit. I went with a reese elite wanted a clean bed in the truck with the hitch removed I was looking for a 18k but there was non in stock and they offered me a 25k for the same price well just couldn't pass that one up

Sounds like a good deal to me
Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

THE Air safe company provide the heavy duty fifth wheel hitch has the capacity of towing 32,000 lbs.
</span>The </span>Air Safe</span>â„¢ Advantage:</span><ul style="font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: x-small; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: n&#111;ne; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;"><li style="text-align: left;">No need to release air when you disconnect</span><li style="text-align: left;">No need to re-inflate each time you connect</span><li style="text-align: left;">2 Air Bag system</span><li style="text-align: left;">Up and Down motion controlled by air</span><li style="text-align: left;">Side to Side head tilt motion controlled by air</span><li style="text-align: left;">Holland Brinkley
</span><li style="text-align: left;">Pin weight from 6,000 lbs</span><li style="text-align: left;">32K GTW capacity</span><li style="text-align: left;">Powder Coated Painted</span><li style="text-align: left;">Installed weight 290 lbs</span><li style="text-align: left;">No lube points within the hitch required</span><li style="text-align: left;">Height 10�</span><li style="text-align: left; margin-bottom: 0px;">Width 24�</span>[/list]
dws123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

I have the 20.5k Pullrite Super 5th in my truck. I have not received my new 36RL yet, but I have had Pullrite hitches in my last 3 trucks and love them. My opinion of course, but I'd look hard at the Pullrite family of hitches.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Site Team

dws123 is spam

Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

I also have a pull rite 20k hitch for my 36RE pulled with a 2011 Dodge 3500 6'4" box - I love the idea of the hitch that automatically pushes the pin back when turning (as opposed to unlock & slide). It does have drawbacks: it's heavy - about 240lbs in the box, this is now not an easy 1 person removal; the hitch requires a special plate to work & was a pain for me to get the correct one; lastly once installed you cannot pull another 5er w/o the appropriate plate installed on the pin box. I should also mention it is not cheap - here in Canada it was about $2700 installed. Love the hitch but it is not for everyone. Lawrence
Lawr&Moe is offline   Reply With Quote