Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   DVR Question (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/dvr-question-4760.html)

piper guy 03-16-2017 03:09 AM

DVR Question

OK, I'm competent at many things but sometimes Hi Tech isn't one of them ........

We will be fulltime in May and stationary for at least 5 months at a KOA with good cable service. I know we will add a satellite service to the rig at some point but probably not till next winter when we are south.

Is there a way to record digitally tv shows without having a subscription to a service. I guess what I'm asking is can I get a stand alone DVR that can be hooked to the tv and set to record shows automatically ? We currently have Verizon FIOS in the S&B and use the DVR all the time. Would like to continue to do so this summer.

Thanks in advance for steering us to something hopefully. :hide:

brenkco 03-16-2017 06:58 PM

Vaughan,
Are you talking about digitally recording programs from the parks cable at the KOA? Are you able to get TV OTA (over the air)? I assume that your current DVR with Verizon FIOS is part of a subscription service?

Ken

piper guy 03-16-2017 11:08 PM

Ken ~ exactly. We will have cable at the park, possibly OTA but we will be in upstate New York on the Erie Canal so I'm figuring OTA will be "iffy" at best (lots of smaller mountains).
Was wondering if there is a stand alone DVR I can get so we can record.

brenkco 03-16-2017 11:15 PM

Vaughan,
Short answer is no. You can equip yourself (though it is pricey) to record OTA but due to copy protection there is no digital output from cable systems. Some older cable receivers have an analog output but the quality is poor.

Some subscription services (dish for example) allow a usb hard disk to act as a DVR on their satellite receivers, however the hard disk is encrypted and not able to be passed to another device.

Ken

bergeman 03-17-2017 12:47 AM

Vaughan,
You might look at TIVO. In the past it could record over the air. Also should be able to scan your cable channels.

brenkco 03-17-2017 01:21 AM

I thought TiVo was a subscription service?

Ken

bergeman 03-17-2017 02:47 AM

Hardware (DVR) and subscription to access their schedule. Since it's not streaming video, should have much of an impact on data.

trfield58 03-18-2017 08:57 PM

Vaughan,
Are you going to be anywhere near Syracuse?

Tim

piper guy 03-18-2017 10:48 PM

Tim - we will be at Herkimer Diamond KOA. Herkimer, NY. Tracy will be working with the owner of the campground and I'm a Captain for Erie Canal Cruises, mostly running the big boat. Herkimerdiamondkoa.com and eriecanalcruises.com

trfield58 03-19-2017 10:49 AM

Got it.... Well, if we get down that way we'll let you know! Sounds like you guys have a great plan.

Tim