Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   No street side "Scare Light" (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/no-street-side-scare-light-2948.html)

Rosey 05-14-2015 12:59 AM

No street side "Scare Light"

So we're out on our maiden voyage in our 39MB..... last night while walking my dog in pitch black it dawned to me that there isn't a street side "scare light" provided on our Redwood that we took for granted on our previous Forest River Cardinal. Unbelieveable to me that Redwood would omit a light on the street side.

5th_Time 05-14-2015 01:06 AM

Me neither. That's why I undertook the grueling "do it yourself project of installing them at each corner of my RL - just like a DRV. Shouldn't they offer this as an option? The things cost $25 on Amazon...

Shane Wood 05-14-2015 01:44 AM

That's because they don't want you to scare the neighbors when they are out on their patio :rofl:
I wish they would have put one on the curbside at the rear as well. That is where the grill is and is hard to cook in the dark. This is the next project for me when I get some time. It would be nice if these manufactors option lists were a lot larger. I sure would not mind spending more money to get the items I want installed. They could have another outfit install some of these add-ons so not to slow the production line. Similar to buying a new truck and the dealer shipping it out to get the extra options installed

Rosey 05-14-2015 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th_Time (Post 47505)
Me neither. That's why I undertook the grueling "do it yourself project of installing them at each corner of my RL - just like a DRV. Shouldn't they offer this as an option? The things cost $25 on Amazon...

Consider myself fairly handy & have done Harry homeowner wiring around the house but wouldn't have a clue how to fish wires thru the walls on these things....any tips ??

rob_fla 05-14-2015 02:36 AM

The FL model does not have any scare lights at all :)

travelin' texans 05-14-2015 03:27 AM

I must be the odd one, haven't used the scare light but once in 2 1/2 years. BTW, that one time the tube bulb burned out.

rob_fla 05-14-2015 03:39 AM

We have not really missed the Scare Lights, did not use them much on our last 5er either.

Our light bulb over the door blew in the first few weeks, replaced with LED, no problems since.

almcc 05-14-2015 01:28 PM

I had a scare light installed "by accident" on the roadside. The Splendide washer/dryer was transferred from our old RV when we bought the Redwood, the dealer installed it including the vent on the roadside bedroom slide. The unit packed it in shortly thereafter and since it was about the fourth time for a failure requiring repairs ("three strikes plus one") we had it removed and an Ariston discrete washer and dryer installed. The vent location for the dryer is required to be in a different location so the dealer installed a new vent. I had retained the original vent "plug" drilled for the original vent, the dealer used that plug and then covered the plug with a scare light. It was wired to the light in the washer/dryer inclosure and works with an extra switch installed on that light.

Not quite a factory install but it's served the dual purposes of a scare light and hiding the original vent location.

Happy Camper 05-14-2015 02:34 PM

I installed a motion sensored LED on the rear slide. It works great for the dogs and the hookup area.