Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Start up supplies needed (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/start-up-supplies-needed-2539.html)

Jeff&Karen39MB 11-27-2014 03:46 PM

Start up supplies needed

Happy Thanksgiving again,
Was looking at a site this morning on start up items, and he talked about RV tissue paper, instead of common household tissue?
Also water pressure regulator was recommended, which made sense, and a water filter. We ordered our 39MB with a built in water filter do we also need one at hose connect?
Know I will need a lot more than just these items, just curious.

atom ant 11-27-2014 03:59 PM

You won't need an external water filter - the built in takes care of that. Regulators are not completely necessary, but nice to have if you come across a high pressure campsite. Toilet tissue should be RV or a cheap single ply household tissue suitable for septic systems.

Consider a:

higher end sewer hose, 2 section that can be combined into 1 length (Note Rinoflex couplings will not fit in the factory tube without modification)

sewer hose support system, expandable or similar type

good non-kink water hose (use the factory one for flushing the gray tank only)

TerLar 11-27-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atom ant (Post 40700)
You won't need an external water filter - the built in takes care of that. Regulators are not completely necessary, but nice to have if you come across a high pressure campsite. Toilet tissue should be RV or a cheap single ply household tissue suitable for septic systems.

Consider a:

higher end sewer hose, 2 section that can be combined into 1 length (Note Rinoflex couplings will not fit in the factory tube without modification)

sewer hose support system, expandable or similar type

good non-kink water hose (use the factory one for flushing the gray tank only)

AA-Quick question,why not flush your grey tank with the hose in the shower and connection compartment? I do and thats how I found out on cold it was draining my hot water tank,now fixed I hope. Larry

atom ant 11-27-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerLar (Post 40703)
AA-Quick question,why not flush your grey tank with the hose in the shower and connection compartment? I do and thats how I found out on cold it was draining my hot water tank,now fixed I hope. Larry

Ah I messed up, I meant Black tank through the supplied flush. I always use a separate hose for that, mainly because it drains back from the antisyphon valve back out through the hose. I was thinking Gray because my dedicated hose I use for that is gray so I don't inadvertently use it for potable water. I also use that dedicated gray hose to hook up to the dump station non-potable water source to flush the tank when necessary.

arcticman1957 11-27-2014 07:14 PM

I don't know about everybody else but I did not get bags for the central vacuum. I kept trying to figure out how all the dirt was getting in the basement I check the place where the bag should have been and no bag, so all the times I vacuum the dirt blown into the basement.

As far as toilet paper goes I use to build Waste Water Treatment plants. I saw a lot of items comes through to pipes, but toilet paper was not one of them. It dissolves really quick. So use whatever paper you want to.

atom ant 11-27-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcticman1957 (Post 40709)
I don't know about everybody else but I did not get bags for the central vacuum. I kept trying to figure out how all the dirt was getting in the basement I check the place where the bag should have been and no bag, so all the times I vacuum the dirt blown into the basement.

As far as toilet paper goes I use to build Waste Water Treatment plants. I saw a lot of items comes through to pipes, but toilet paper was not one of them. It dissolves really quick. So use whatever paper you want to.

There is a huge difference between a Waste Water Treatment Plant and an RV holding tank. The treatment plant isn't seeing anything until its traveled a few miles.

If you use standard paper you run a big risk of it clogging at the valved outlet, and it is NOT fun to fix. Some of the standard papers are coated in lotion, and that stuff holds together forever.

spindrift 11-27-2014 09:38 PM

You can always go to the YouTube video that illustrates how you can determine whether or not a certain TP is safe for your RV black tank. Pretty neat video.

homeguy 11-27-2014 09:58 PM

ok, my outside shower also drains my water heater on cold, what did you do to change that. Any tp that is 'septic safe' will be labeled such on the packaging.

travelin' texans 11-27-2014 10:42 PM

Haven't used rv tp for over 6 years, septic safe of whatever DW likes & never had a problem. The rv tp cost about 3 times as much as any other.

travelin' texans 11-28-2014 12:11 AM

Get a good adjustable water regulator, not one of those crappy rv things.