Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Furrion transfer switch F50-ATS is buzzing (http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/furrion-transfer-switch-f50-ats-is-buzzing-2334.html)

robkathybat 10-12-2014 08:51 PM

Furrion transfer switch F50-ATS is buzzing
 
well maybe not buzzing but making an electrical humming type noise. We can sort of hear it in the bathroom. We do not have a generator so nothing is connected to that side. Wonder if anyone has a reason this would be happening. I have disconnected shore power and it did stop, which didn't surprise me since there's nothing there, but it came back when I re-connected shore power. I did a little mechanical agitation while shore power was off, slight tapping on the 2 sides of the relay. Didn't help. Any thoughts?

5th_Time 10-12-2014 09:54 PM

Could be the converter. Mine is getting louder. Some time this fall, I'm going to remove the basement wall & try to mount it with gel feet or replace the whole thing because, many times, the whirring sound is the only sound you here.

hoosierguy 10-13-2014 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robkathybat (Post 37000)
well maybe not buzzing but making an electrical humming type noise. We can sort of hear it in the bathroom. We do not have a generator so nothing is connected to that side. Wonder if anyone has a reason this would be happening. I have disconnected shore power and it did stop, which didn't surprise me since there's nothing there, but it came back when I re-connected shore power. I did a little mechanical agitation while shore power was off, slight tapping on the 2 sides of the relay. Didn't help. Any thoughts?


What you are describing sounds to me like it is probably a power transformer lamination hum at line frequency. It is nothing to worry about unless it is just too annoying. That is not uncommon with devices that have power transformers.

I am not specifically familiar with the transfer switch although I do have one in my 36RL. I have the generator prep package but not the generator. I have never noticed any sound emanating from the transfer switch. I will have to do some research to see if I can find any technical details about the transfer switch.

hoosierguy 10-13-2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th_Time (Post 37003)
Could be the converter. Mine is getting louder. Some time this fall, I'm going to remove the basement wall & try to mount it with gel feet or replace the whole thing because, many times, the whirring sound is the only sound you here.


Mike,

I agree the converter does make some fan noise. It generally gets louder the more lights are turned on. That is more likely what is generating the noise.

Guy

trfield58 10-13-2014 11:59 AM

robkathybat,

We have a RW 39MB so our bathroom is right above where the transfer switch is located. We also hear the "humming" of the switch when we are in the bathroom. I'm not overly concerned about it but it is definitely noticeable.

Tim

almcc 10-13-2014 12:37 PM

Just another thought: We don't have a transfer switch on our unit and there is a hum, it seems to be coming from the hydraulic system in the front storage area (roadside). Cycling the shore power or battery power stops it, but it eventually comes back. You may want to check.

There are no problems with the lifting system other than the hum.

robkathybat 10-13-2014 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Our inverter is by the front door. It is remarkably quiet even with all the lights on. There is a fan noise when you get close. Like trfield58 our transfer switch is up front above the batteries. I have found the Furrion website with a "contact us". So I did I will post when I get an answer. Again Thanks

BillEckert 10-17-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robkathybat (Post 37048)
Thanks for all the replies. Our inverter is by the front door. It is remarkably quiet even with all the lights on. There is a fan noise when you get close. Like trfield58 our transfer switch is up front above the batteries. I have found the Furrion website with a "contact us". So I did I will post when I get an answer. Again Thanks

What did you find out?

robkathybat 10-18-2014 01:23 PM

No reply....go figure

BillEckert 10-18-2014 02:01 PM

Hi Rob, I did get an email reply from a Brody at Furrion. He
just asked for my address and is sending a replacement
via ups. I called SC at Redwood, and Terry gave me the
phone number for a Crossroads dealer 60 miles from me
to install the replacement. SO, in two weeks I can let you know
the outcome. Have Fun, Bill


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.